Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

coffee or no coffee?

So I've been reading quite a bit of stories on here and noticed some of you still drink coffee. I was told coffee is a no no so I'm confused. Believe me...I would love my usual morning cup like old times. What are your thoughts on this?

I was told no coffee except for Decaf but I just can't go without it in the morning at 5 am. I drink it every morning and i'm fine. I do make decaf if i'm craving it later in the day but I think you should be fine. Just my 2 cents, you should ask your doctor to be sure.

I was told no caffeine. In the beginning when it's difficult to get any liquids in, they advise against because its a diuretic.

I'm not a big coffee drinker any more. I have had some but for "movement" purposes, if you get my drift.

I was told to limit caffeine like no more than one a day.

Well.....I LOVE coffee. I was told no coffee for 4 months, but I didn't make it. I started drinking it again at about 5 weeks. I am super compliant with almost everything else, but that was just not something I wanted to give up. I felt worn out and tired every day until the day I started drinking coffee again. Only one cup a day, and far away from the time I start taking all the Vitamins. It interferes with caffiene absorption, can be a diuretic, and is possibly an irritant to the stomach. I always advise people to follow their physician's instructions, but I didn't in this case.

I am not a big coffee drinker and i don't remember my nutritionist telling me not to drink it. I am two weeks out and had my first cup yesterday. It went down no problem and am looking forward to it as a once and awhile treat.

I have a cup if coffee monday thru friday with hot chocolate in it lol.

My PW says to limit caffeinated coffee and black tea to 2 cups per day.

Do any of u have it with cream?

I use skmi milk and splenda in mine

I use hazelnut coffeemate in mine.

I was allowed it at two months. I have 8 oz of coffee with 8oz of skim milk and a shot of sugar free flavoring to make myself a latte. I have this every morning. This way my "coffee" is also a Protein meal.

I was allowed caffeine at 3 months. My NUT prefers if i have Decaf but usually I have regular. I allow myself to have 2 sf ff lattes a week also and usually have no problems.

I specifically asked my surgeon, as this would have been harder to give up than pop. He said he had no problem with it, go ahead and enjoy it. He didn't even tell me to wait a specific period before drinking it.