Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About the "Lucerna" hotel in TJ

My mother in law and I are scheduled for banding on the 27th with Dr. Ortiz. I have arranged follow up care here in MO, however I think we may still return to TJ. The costs are about the same, but I love having someone local. He also has problems getting Dr. to treat his patients outside of the city ( even for non bad problems)

My dh is going with us as well as our three toddlers (not really my favorite plan, but by far the cheapest and dh doesn't do well if I am gone to the store with all three) We have arranged for someone to help with the children there the whole time so I won't have to pick them up, (& two walk pretty well)

My questiosn are:

1) anything exciting dh & children & sitter can do w/in walking distance of hotel? (I used to live in mx so taxis scare me!!!!)

2) did anyone try to get milk at the hotel? Is/are there any stores closeby?

3) How did you like the restaurants at the hotel. Any food for daddys & children and approximate costs.

This really wasn't my first choice, but mother in law thought better than me panicing for a whole week, and we are staying longer so I will feel better travling with them on the way home

Thanks

post-204016-13813131256696_thumb.jpg

The hotel is fine if you don't mind ROCK HARD mattresses. There is a coffee shop kind of restaurant with buffets and menu service as well as a very nice formal restaurant on the property. There is an unheated (I think) swimming pool.

A couple of blocks up the street, here's an IMAX theater and an art museum as well as a kiddie-park entertainment place, but, as you know, their safety standards are not the same as ours. A little farther north, a few more blocks, there's a major shopping center.

BTW, since you have your after care under control, are you aware that Sanchez and Rumbaut in Monterrey, MX are way closer to you and I think they have done more bands than any other doctors on the continent? (They do not work together.) The transportation would be easier, Rumbaut's patients stay at a Hampton Inn next door to a McDonald's, an Applebee's and a shopping center--and that hotel has a pool as well. Rumbaut uses a teaching hospital. Sanchez uses a hospital that includes a floor with hotel rooms for the patient and family for the post-op stay.

Ortiz is competent, to be sure, but the logistics of getting there are not good. Monterrey would be not quite as bad. But the best is an experienced doctor you can get to if you really need him. (I've needed nine adjustments, aka fills, in less than two years; DeLarla just did a speed drive through two states and across the border with a port working its way out of her body...that kind of stuff.) Given your logistical considerations (I mean the need to bring the kids with you), are you sure you've examined US doctors who are closer and fairly reasonably priced?

Good luck wherever you go,

Sue

We considered Monterrey. But the flights cost for all of us was unreasonale. Direct flight from STL to SAN easier with three children.

Jane, you have a beautiful family! I can see that you'll get plenty of exercise when you get back home. Please give yourself time to heal before you start lifting the children. Best of luck to you!

Like I said, Jane, good luck no matter how you do it. (I'm too old to even consider flying for hours with an entourage every time I need an adjustment. Funny how values change as we get more and more worn out.) Y que muchahos tan bonitos...y que esposo tan guapo.

Sue