Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was going into my surgery with confidence that post op would be painful, but the weeks to follow the sleeve would help to limit my

ability to over eat. I'm starting on my solid foods and am having a difficult time judging my portions. At first it was easy, as I could only tolerate 2-4 "bites" of anything. Recently at table sittings I've noticed that I can/will eat almost the entire meal...which then mentally says i've over eaten and should have slowed down...HELP ME SOMEONE!!!! I"ve followed the "deck of cards" rules and the counting of the oz's. I still feel like i'm over eating!!! When does my brain finally catch up to my stomach to tell it to relax and get over the idea of smaller portions?!! UGH! I'm still sketchy about real foods since i'm paranoid of leaking. It's like my body is tolerating many things it shouldn't be right now...or am I forcing it too soon? I can tolerate rice just fine, and some pastas...toasted bread (no rolls/buns). Yes, I know that carbs are evil and I'm trying to move away from them. So, 4oz. of Protein (chick/pork/turkey) and then my 1/2 c veggies...when do i fit the Protein Shakes in? Or do I wean away from them? Do I ever stop taking the Protein Drinks?

CONFUUUUSEDDD!!!! :wacko::unsure::blink:

I was going into my surgery with confidence that post op would be painful' date=' but the weeks to follow the sleeve would help to limit my

ability to over eat. I'm starting on my solid foods and am having a difficult time judging my portions. At first it was easy, as I could only tolerate 2-4 "bites" of anything. Recently at table sittings I've noticed that I can/will eat almost the entire meal...which then mentally says i've over eaten and should have slowed down...HELP ME SOMEONE!!!! I"ve followed the "deck of cards" rules and the counting of the oz's. I still feel like i'm over eating!!! When does my brain finally catch up to my stomach to tell it to relax and get over the idea of smaller portions?!! UGH! I'm still sketchy about real foods since i'm paranoid of leaking. It's like my body is tolerating many things it shouldn't be right now...or am I forcing it too soon? I can tolerate rice just fine, and some pastas...toasted bread (no rolls/buns). Yes, I know that carbs are evil and I'm trying to move away from them. So, 4oz. of Protein (chick/pork/turkey) and then my 1/2 c veggies...when do i fit the Protein shakes in? Or do I wean away from them? Do I ever stop taking the protein drinks?

CONFUUUUSEDDD!!!! :wacko::unsure::blink:[/quote']

I'm not gonna give you much help here but let you know you're not alone! And I had a leak!! The best advice I can give now is measure everything and only eat 4oz. That's what I'm trying to do, but its hard. Hope somebody gives awesome advice :) I need it too lol

I think everyone has a different experience, My nutt wants me to get off the shakes asap. He doesnt want us to eat our meals and then get additional calories from a shake.< /p>

It's still math some many calories in and so many out,

Eat five to six small meals/ Snacks a day. Measure your food start with your Protein (around 2oz) and then follow with your veggies if you still have room. The pastas and stuff will slide right through and not fill you.. Protein Shakes are a personal choice after you start eating. I still drink mine to get my 60 grams of protein in and I like the way they taste.

I'm not gonna give you much help here but let you know you're not alone! And I had a leak!! The best advice I can give now is measure everything and only eat 4oz. That's what I'm trying to do, but its hard. Hope somebody gives awesome advice :) I need it too lol

How far out are you? and when did you notice symptoms of leaking? I keep thiking I'm either going to stretch my new stomach out and stay fat, or pop a staple. My surgeon assured me that it's not likely, but a common fear when starting solids. I love that I'm onto trying real food, but scared that I will tolerate the wrong things and defeat the purpose. Mentally I know better, the foods are better, but portion is a big factor. I'm really trying to slow it down and wait for my stomach/brain to sync up. 80% mental they say...i do believe it's MAKING me mental!!! :o

I don't have a NUT...the office has a 24/7 policy that I can call, and they will offer the advice. the NUT from the hospital gave me the exact same guidelines as the surgeon, and I also have her card to call. I have been encouraged to wean off the Protein Shakes, but I'm finding it hard to get all my grams in daily. shakes I keep on hand and I've tried the LUNA Protein bars...but cautioned to only eat 1 or 2 mnthly. Our meat should only be 2oz?? I've been eating 3-4oz. at a sitting and then veggies...trying to avoid the carbs.

difficult time judging my portions. noticed that I can/will eat almost the entire meal :wacko::unsure::blink:

MsLissa

it must be hard not having a NUT or more constant one on one guidance

all NUTS/directions received are different from NUT to NUT

at 6 weeks - I "think" I was eating about 1/3 C per my NUT - I was told to measure by "volume" - that is the amount that fills your stomach

2 ounces ie might be more than 1/3 C - per my instructions measure by volume

at 6 weeks i wasn't drinking the Protein shakes anymore - not to confuse you - but some people DO drink Protein Shakes to help get their required Protein in

but - you DON'T have to drink protein shakes for the rest of your life :)

you should always measure your food - "don't guesstimate" especially since you are still a NEWBIE

when you measure your portion, thats all you should eat - chew very thoroughly and slowly.

only put the proper amount on your plate - not extra - use small plate so you "fool" yourself into thinking you are eating more

just because you are "able" to eat more - DON'T do it - never eat more than you are permitted

as time goes on, you will be eating larger "small" portions - ie 2/3 cup - 1 cup - you should ask your dr.s office for this advice

you also should get the proper calorie intake as time progresses - ie 600 calories maybe - 1000 calories at a much later time (just example amounts)

finding a support group is a good idea - OP can guide you

since you don't have a NUT - do you know the drinking rules?

don't eat for 1/2 hr after you stop drinking, don't drink during meal, don't drink for 45-60 minutes after meal. drink at least 64 oz per day. (you might already know this)

Water rules are very important :)

good luck

ask for help anytime

we don't bite (not usually) :lol:

only put the proper amount on your plate - not extra - use small plate so you "fool" yourself into thinking you are eating more

just because you are "able" to eat more - DON'T do it - never eat more than you are permitted

as time goes on, you will be eating larger "small" portions - ie 2/3 cup - 1 cup - you should ask your dr.s office for this advice

you also should get the proper calorie intake as time progresses - ie 600 calories maybe - 1000 calories at a much later time (just example amounts)

finding a support group is a good idea - OP can guide you

since you don't have a NUT - do you know the drinking rules?

don't eat for 1/2 hr after you stop drinking, don't drink during meal, don't drink for 45-60 minutes after meal. drink at least 64 oz per day. (you might already know this)

Water rules are very important :)

good luck

ask for help anytime

we don't bite (not usually) :lol:

Thank you, this helps me out alot! Yes, I know the drinking rules. I'm starting to work my daily Water in - seemed to be all Protein shakes/drinks the first month! I'm already using a smaller plate, it's a "salad" plate...and I def. need to find out what my measured portions should be. Calorically I'm only taking in 700-1000/daily. Is that alot for being so newly out? I really want to get a handle on this early so that I don't spin out of control and waste a perfectly good procedure!

I'm having trouble judging too. Sometimes I can eat and eat. Other times 3 bites and I feel sick. It's very frustrating. I know some of it has to do with what I'm eating, but sometimes it's the same thing. Anyone have ideas?

I'm having trouble judging too. Sometimes I can eat and eat. Other times 3 bites and I feel sick. It's very frustrating. I know some of it has to do with what I'm eating, but sometimes it's the same thing. Anyone have ideas?

I'm much the same. Sometimes I eat hardly anything, and then other times I eat right through my meal w/out issues. Sometimes it's the foods, sometimes it's how fast/slow I eat. If I remember to slow down, I get fuller faster, but when blind eating due to "hunger" I mostly tend to overeat.

I'm eight weeks out, and my doctor has me eating 6 meals a day (every 2-3 hours) and drinking my 64 oz. in between. I always measure my food, and try to never eat more than 2 ounces per meal, as that is the limit that I was told to eat. My sleeve is suppose to only hold 2 ounces of food at once.

I also replace meals with shakes, as I need to get in all my Protein. My doctor said I can drink much more in a sitting than I can eat, so it is dual purpose for me. I get in more protein and it counts towards my Fluid intake. I am adding a cup of non-fat milk to my shakes. This gives me more protein (31 grams), and I can drink the whole 18 ounces in an hour, because it's not so heavy. It's much thinner and goes down much easier with the added milk.

If you can get all your protein in without shakes, more power to you! I can't, with eating 2 ounces of food per meal. I would be eating all day long just to get in the 70-80 grams of protein that I need, plus the fluids! When I'm farther along and can have a 1/2 cup of food at once, then I will decrease my shakes. Good luck friend!

Calorically I'm only taking in 700-1000/daily. Is that alot for being so newly out?

MsLissa

DOS - 12/17/12

6 weeks PO 700-1000 calories a day????

yes hun thats too many

I "think" I was eating 500-600 calories this early in the game

talk to the dr. office - 24/7 services - write down a bunch of questions - you should get more assistance

others hopefully will tell you how many calories they took in

eat and chew very slowly, put utensils down after a bite - slow down and your brain should catch up

it might take a while, but you'll get this!!! :)

ask your questions

remember we don't bite (not usually :lol: )

Even if you can tolerate Pasta bread rice and sugar does not mean you eat it. I can tolerate all of that, but I don't eat it, my NUT said that it blows up your tummy and can stretch it out a little, so I stay away. I was eating to much a month ago and was told to cut everything in half, now I can on,y eat a few oz's of Protein and a tiny bit of veggies and thats it. I still drink an Isopure shake in the morning wich contains 50mgs of protein, I mix it with Water but I like them after I workout, I will never stop drinking them, great protein and taste great to.

thanks everyone. I was pretty certain I'm doing it wrong. I'm going to try harder to get all my Proteins in, and keep to my current meal schedule (B - mid morning Protein - L - afternoon protein - D) and water*water*water!! I've GOT to get better at H2O!!! I will definitely call my dr. office, the girls are always happy to help! (Although you guys are doing a pretty bang up job here too)