Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tried posting in the post-op area and haven't had a response so I thought I would try here. It may be that no one else has this issue.

I am having VERY severe reflux, worsening in the last month. I take Prevacid three times daily. When I go to bed at night I prop myself up but still wake up choking and gagging on acid. I have a sore throat all the time.

I have had very significant issues with hunger since my surgery in May, feeling satisfied after eating for about an hour and ravenous otherwise. Honestly, if I think about how hungry I have been it brings tears to my eyes. I have felt that I am in a constant state of starvation, but that I was just some weird exception to the rule and my hunger didn't disappear as it did for others. Now I am wondering if I have had acid this whole time despite my use of Prevacid.

Does anyone have experience with this? I have tried almost all the PPI's and over the counter remedies to no effect. I am going to see my surgeon today but am pretty miserable and worried he won't have the answer.

I do not have an answer for you other than a question? What are you eating? Is there something that could be acidic or coffee? These items will make it worse.

Try some ginger tea until you can get to the doctor, if you have not been already. I have tried that myself as I have a hiatal hernia and when the reflux is bad I use that as well as the Prevacid/ Pirlosec. Though my hernia is small, I believe this is what causes me much discomfort when I get really acidic foods.

Please keep us posted.

I had a very severe period of reflux about 6 months out. After seeing my surgeon, she ordered a barium swallow test which came back normal. She switched my PPI and upped the dosage and it eventually went away. Hopefully, your surgeon will get you on track to providing some relief.

Turns out to be a be a mild stricture. Bummer.

What is a mild stricture?

What is a mild stricture?

When scar tissue forms where your esophagus and sleeve meet it causes a stricture, or abnormal narrowing of the passage from the esophagus to the stomach. Mild as in, less than moderate or severe.

I completely can identify with your story. I have the exact same symptoms (especially feeling of throat closing.) My acid reflux is the worse when waking up and going to bed nightly. I've taken Prilosec (per Dr.) three times a day for six months after surgery. Now, (1.5 years later) I'm down to one a day. I now have a bland diet and just had an upper G I. You are not alone. I hear this does happen to some of us. My Dr. I will be on Prilosec or Rx forever. I refuse..so am still still researching! However, for IMMEDIATE relief...take a cap full of apple cider vinegar and mix in @ 4 oz. of room temp Water. Swallow. Instant relief...hope that helped. Good Luck!

Hello I am 6 weeks post op and severe reflux had allergic reaction to prevacid taking pepcid only I cant eat or drink or I walk around sounding like a clogged toilet...burpping all the time and bubbling noise coming from my stomach....any suggestions?

Hello I am 6 weeks post op and severe reflux had allergic reaction to prevacid taking pepcid only I cant eat or drink or I walk around sounding like a clogged toilet...burpping all the time and bubbling noise coming from my stomach....any suggestions?

Yikes. I am sorry, I want to respond but I don't have an answer. I hope you are able to get help for this soon!