Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about doing the surgery!

I am 15. I have been over weight most of my life. My mom had the surgery done last year. She is going to have her yearly checkup and talk to the surgeon to see if he would do it. If he does say he would, should I do it? I think I am almost 100 lbs. over weight, I've tried yoga, dieting and exercising. To be honest it works for a while then things just get in the way. I need a new tool that will work 100%.

It's a huge step. I would suggest seeing a counsellor (who specializes in it) for a while before doing it. I know you've seen your mother go through it, so you already know what it entails, but just to ensure you are mentally/emotionally prepared for it. Because you are so young, really really make sure you are prepared.

I really don't want to be the person that says you should wait because, having been 120lbs overweight at 15, I'm all too familiar with the he// that is high school. You're body isn't developed though. I wouldn't be comfortable with it as the parent. On the other hand, If I could have avoided the last 15 years of shame for my weight I would do it in a heart beat. I'd work extremely closely with a nutritionist to determine your needs since they're different from adults at the very least.

Also keep in mind the whole process can take anywhere between 3 months and a year so even if the go ahead is given you still may have a weight a while.

good luck

Hi. I don't want to express an opinion either way because I don't have all the information / knowledge and you should get that from the experts with your Mum. I have seen this video on uTube, and it did have me almost crying :)

Good luck! Deano

If you are looking for the magic bullet, this isn't it. It is a tool, that will help you, but you have to be 100% committed to it. The diet must change and the exercise must happen. At your age, I would make sure that I have exhausted everything I could. There are Drs. that can help you, nutritionists that you can see. There's no guarantee that if you have the surgery the weight won't come back. It fact, it is pretty common that some weight does come back if you let it. You said that you have tried to diet, but things get in the way. How is that going to be different with the surgery? Not trying to preach to you, just make sure that you are 100% ready to do this and ready to follow it through. It's not the easy way out as a lot of people that haven't been through it think it s.

change what you eat firstly, eat many raw vegies and fruits, no fats or sugars, investigate whats good for you on line. A psychiatrist may find it hard to give some one so young the go ahead just yet on such a matter, your a kid, but you can be a wise kid and learn how to eat, a diet is not always about weight loss but about health.

The only person who can answer that question is you. Nobody can answer it for you. By the time I was in high school, I was anywhere from 180-220 in terms of weight so I can identify with where you are. When you're overweight, it can make things difficult on a number of levels - physically, socially, and emotionally.

If this had been an option when I was your age, I probably would have considered it.

Objectively, though, you're still growing. I don't say that to mean like I'm talking down to you, I'm not. But realistically your body isn't done developing and VSG is still a relatively new procedure, medically speaking so there's not as much data about this as there are other procedures.

I'm sure you understand that this decision isn't something that can be undone and that it presents its own set of challenges and issues. It won't magically fix the weight problem, but it can help, but only if you realize that this will change things for the rest of your life. My food issues haven't gone away just because I had this surgery. I still have to struggle with the desire for things I know will only be bad for me and I know that even having surgery doesn't mean I'll succeed.

Give it a lot of thought and take your time.

I agree with everyone else. Surgery should be your last resort. Maybe you could work with a nutritionist, start a workout regiment, see a therapist. I was working out and eating pretty healthy before surgery, the weight just wouldn't come off. Even after surgery, I'm a slow loser. I've checked my hormones and everything seems normal. I don't know why it's so hard for me to lose weight. You're so young and there are risks with this surgery. But like a previous poster said, I too was obese all of my life and by your age I was probably already 250. I was insecure and had low self esteem. If I had the opportunity to better my quality of life I probably would have. Again, it should be your last resort.

At 15 I weighed in the 230s. Personally I feel I would have benefited from doing the surgery during my teens. I know the Bariatric program near me is accepting patients at age 16 now.

At 15 I weighed in the 230s. Personally I feel I would have benefited from doing the surgery during my teens. I know the Bariatric program near me is accepting patients at age 16 now.

I agree

Been overweight my whole life too (of course its a little different for guys cause you can play football and then its accepted to be that big). As annoying as this may sound, the risk of complications out weighs what you may be feelings at your young age.

Try the other options mentioned on here hun. This surgery was a life changing decision for me and many others. Good luck!

I think it could work for you, but not yet. It is very possible to gain the weight back, even with the surgery. I worked with a nutritionist for a few years to modify my eating behaviour. I lost 25 pounds and kept it off for a long time. That told me two things: I needed surgery to achieve significant weight loss, and that I could stick with the new eating habits required to be successful.

It's really important to find a nutr. that you click with.

I say go for it. I don't know why people think that if you are younger you will somehow lose the weight. I lost it once and kept it off, but the amount of running to maintain gave me a herniated disc at 26. I wasn't even as thin as I am now. I would talk with a doctor, but I wouldn't rule it out.