Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ammonia smell during exercise?

I'm just curious...once in a while immediately following a good workout I get the sensation of smelling ammonia??!!

As far as I can tell, it's not in my sweat or from my breath. I just get the sensation of smelling ammonia through my nose.

I googled it expecting not to find anything and actually I found multiple conflicting articles stating it's a result of too low carbs, possible liver problem...a whole bunch of junk.

So...my question is: has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, did you discuss it with a medical professional and what did they say about it? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Hello,

To all the bandsters that has lost weight or still losing as we speak. I am new to the board and new to know if the band is really more safe?I am considering banding but the thought of having this inside my body is terrifying. But I need to lose the weight,BMI 51 with heart issues, pph and chf (family), cardiologist this will help my heart load and now has suggested. Fear is consuming me at this time because of previous 2 surgeries oxygen levels got too low. Just anxious about this procedure. My true feelings. :)

Thanks for listening ,

SUHA

I'm just curious...once in a while immediately following a good workout I get the sensation of smelling ammonia??!!

As far as I can tell, it's not in my sweat or from my breath. I just get the sensation of smelling ammonia through my nose.

I googled it expecting not to find anything and actually I found multiple conflicting articles stating it's a result of too low carbs, possible liver problem...a whole bunch of junk.

So...my question is: has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, did you discuss it with a medical professional and what did they say about it? Any

info would be helpful. Thanks!

Im not banded yet but I use to work in the medical field for 10 yrs and just from what you described it sounds like ketosis . I remeber smelling that smell one time on a man and I told the doc about it and he rushed in there. It can also be a indication of a diabetic being in trouble. BUT its also what happens when people diet. You hear people on Atkins talk about throwing themselves into ketosis alot. Its a very unpleasant smell and can vary a bit. But Amonia smelling is close. Its very strong . and it probably is coming from your breathe. Being that your probably eating alot of Protein i wouldnt worry too much about it but i would check with your doc . Just so he can check your glucse levels.

Here are some websites that migh thelp explan it better.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/36/1728_52578.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis

Mindy

Thanks for the info Coltonwade. I'll check out those sites.

Beamer...I had the same fear as you about "having that thing inside me" but I cannot feel it and don't even realize it's there. As far as being safe...compared to what? The gastric bypass?...yes definately. Remaining obese?...yes definately. You will need to discuss your health issues with your doctor who will run all necessary tests to ensure you come through surgery just fine. Good luck.

LapBandit I have had that sensation also but to me the smell smelled like cigarette smoke/ammonia. I had it happen pretty frequently about a year ago. I mean I was standing in the middle of Kohl's and started looking around for someone smoking in the store.

It happened quite a bit over about three months and then faded to rarely now. Matter of fact I can't remember the last time it happened.:clap2:

M

LapBandit I have had that sensation also but to me the smell smelled like cigarette smoke/ammonia. I had it happen pretty frequently about a year ago. I mean I was standing in the middle of Kohl's and started looking around for someone smoking in the store.

It happened quite a bit over about three months and then faded to rarely now. Matter of fact I can't remember the last time it happened.:clap2:

M

I thought of this after posting last time . Do any of ya'll have Migraines ?

there is a "phenomenon" where people who have migraines have "Odor Auras" for lack of a better word. I dont know how else to describe it. They smell things that are not there. For instance I smell propane, Gasoline, and smoke like the house is on fire . It doesnt happen all the time or with every Migraine but it does happen . Sometimes people have this and have no migraine. But mine always come before or during a migraine. My husband use to think i was NUTS. But i also have an EXTRaORDINARY Nose. For instance, if someone is smoking a cigar ( something that gives me a migraine ) at a crowed place I can smell it from across the room . When no one else can smell it . My son can spray colonge and i'll come home and hour later and still smell it. So might be something else to think about too

Mindy

I get that same funny smell too.

I've asked my family doctor about it a million times. ive never got an answer. They seem to just ignore it. I have a feeling it has something to do with the Ketosis too.

LapBandit,

Did you get an answer to your ammonia smell yet? Just Google "sweat ammonia" and you'll get your answer. Too complicated for me to explain here, but any of those Google results should answer your question.

I am pretty sure it is ketosis- its a sign that you are breaking douwn fat, mild ketosis is not the same big bad that ketoacidosis is for diabetics- ketoacidosis is in diabetics occurs fo a different reason and the level of ketones can be much higher making the blood and body fluds way too acdic causing loss of consciousness etc.

If you are not diabetic ( on meds/insulin) and are losing weight fairly fast mild ketosis is bascally the body processing stored fat for energy- it can cause the odor on the breath and occasionally through the sweat, can also give you a bit of a headache but it usually a relatively short term issue

Ammonia smell in the sweat IS NOT ketosis. Ketosis results when the body begins to break down fat to use as energy as a result of a low carb load. The result is a sweet, fruity smell (like juicy fruit gum). Ammonia smell is a result of the imbalance in catabolic and anabolic processes at work during physical exertion. This results in an overload of Nitrogen that the kidneys are unable to excrete completely in the urine. Hence the nitrogen is excreted into the urea in the sweat resulting in the ammonia smell. Just Google "sweat ammonia". It's all right there.:frusty:

So...my question is: has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, did you discuss it with a medical professional and what did they say about it? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Yeah, as I originally stated, I had already googled it and read all the mumbo jumbo about it before I started the thread. Most of what I read seemed to contradict itself so I was just hoping to hear if anyone else ever had this happen to them and hopefully share what they thought about it and if they had ever actually discussed it with a doc. But thanks for all the input.

Well when you sort through all the mumbo jumbo, the end result is that it is not really a bad thing. It can sometimes, though rarely, mean that your body isn't capable of metabolizing Protein adequately and it spills out into your urine. This is the case sometimes with athletes who really up their protein load to train, or with people with lots of muscle mass and low body fat,(like my hot DH). His clothes smell like ammonia every time he comes home from the GYM. I assumed he did not pee in them, so that is when I started doing a little research. Every time he goes to get a physical, there is some mention of protein metabolism but all his bloodwork ends up fine. So, I guess your ammonia smell puts you right there in the categories as the finely tuned athletes. So, don't worry. Just keep up with regular physicals and any (rare ) problem will show up there. Good for you for working out so hard!!!:)