Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what kind of Broth do I buy?

Hellos, call me an idiot, but I have no idea what kind of broth to get. I pray it is not something that I have to make on my own. Is there a brand I should buy? Like Campbells? In a can?

there are so many- like chicken broth, beef broth, veg broth.... etc.

I am so clueless please help me.... I wanted to stock up before my surgery. Also they say *clear liquids* that is broth right? and just Water? I cant think of anything else that is clear. Give me some ideas please..........lol

~Raynie!

raynie it really depends on your doc - mine said anything that would be liquid at room temp...which included popsicles, Jello, etc...as for broth - what do you like? I bought swanson's aseptic liters of chicken broth - they helped, plus they can be stored in the fridge after you open them...not like the can...

If your doc says it's okay, try draining the chicken and noodles out of Campbell's chicken and Noodles. It's waaaay better than plain broth.

I bought three BIG boxes of broth before my surgery, tasted it once the day of surgery, and refused to eat any more.

I don't know if I was supposed to eat the chicken and noodle (sans the chicken and noodle), but I'm still alive, so I say go for it!!

:)

I can't remember the brand I bought, but it comes in boxes, has a white pour spout and a silver "pull tab" underneath. I buy the fat free, low sodium variety.

And I learned that I truly don't care for beef broth (no surprise since I don't really eat red meat), but that chicken broth can be quite good.

I never used to by it, probably because I never used to cook, we ALWAYS ate out. Now I cook most meals... and I always have some on hand, and use it in place of Water for most of my cooking.

During the last days of week one post-op (the Clear liquids stage), I experimented with egg drop Soup. I strained the "egg" portion and just ate the "soup" part. There were tiny chucnks of chicken in there that caused me no problem. I progressed to eating small portions of the "egg" part, very well chewed. Egg Drop soup is an excellent source of Protein, not to mention a whole lot most appetizing that straight chicken broth.

Just remember: it gets better, the first two weeks are the toughest. Be sure to get enough Protein.< /p>

i don't care for the campbell's chicekn broth (maybe cuz I bought the low-sodium). But dominck's has their Organic Soup in a box and i like their vegatarian vegatable. I add some rosemary seasoning and it helps.

some other Clear Liquids are gatorade, propel, kool aid, apple juice, coffee (no cream) tea, anything you can see light through. I was also allowed popsicles and Jello. I made icees, a bit of my drink blended with some ice, it helped with the swelling and made me feel like I was eating something. ~Mandy

Thanks guys! its a relief to know I dont have to make my own broth from scratch! You have great ideas, and the egg Soup sounds yummy! Can I ask another dumb question?

so..... If I can only have Clear liquids for the first week or two- does it matter how many calories or how much Protein I consume? Like do I have to have 60 g of protein? How is this possiable? I looked at a can of broth, It says 1 g of protein. hrmm... just a little confused is all. And during this week or two of clear liquids- I will not be drinking any Protein Shakes, right? Ok thanks everyone!

There are tons of protien drinks that are clear. Check out the Vitamin Shoppe online there are sooo many protien choices. ~Mandy

The first week I had Swanson chicken broth (low sodium), sugar-free Jello and Hi-Protein Boost. I would drink about a cup of broth, 1/2 a bottle of the Boost and about about half a cup of the Jello - 3 times a day. Add to that Water, water, water and more water!

The chicken broth does taste good when it is all you can really eat. I would look forward to it. But by the next week I was loving pea Soup. It's amazing what you will consider a "reward" after the liquid phase.