Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Spin Class...nervous

I want to sign up for this spin/plates community exercise class...but I'm nervous I'm 3 months out and have lost around 50lbs, but all I have been doing is walking. Will this class kick my butt, is it not the right choice to get started real exercise with? And my friend wants to do it with me and she is in much better shape than me so I don't want to look like a fool....

Oh just go and have fun! Dont worry about anyone else around you!!!! It is much better to do it with a friend for the encouragement and the accountability. Go, do your best and continue on this journey! YOU CAN DO IT!

Yes it is hard.

No, you should not make excuses!

It gets better after the first class! You will probably be hauled out after the first one, and your body will ache all over.

But guess what? You be wanting to do it again.

I'm not goin to sugar coat it. Spinning is hard. Your butt legs thighs arms are gonna hurt. But you will make it through and feel great it on the other side. You can burn 700 calories in an hour! Go get on that bike :-D

I have done 3 now. the first class, I started warming up and finally caught the instructors attention to let her know I was new. She said I looked like I was doing ok...lol... but helped me with the bike settings. I found the class to be good, but didn't kill me oranything.

I went back the following week and the instructor was a no show! It was a packed class and so 4 of the regulars traded taking turns leading the class after they got the keys to the sound system. OMG - I found out where the spandex wearing cycle freaks go in the winter! I never want to sweat that hard again...lol

Then, I went back yesterday, thinking it would be a mellow pre turkey day ride. Once again, instructor is a no show, but it was a small group and once again... a regular led the class. It wasn't as bad as the spandex cycle freaks day, but my thighs were on fire.

I am loving it... I was getting bored by the elliptical and the spinning seems to work alot better for HIIT. Here was the funny part, the day of the hard workout, they did TEN HIIT repeats. Yesterday, they did a pyramid which went on forever and culminated in a 60 sec on/off... and then went back down the pyramid. Exhausting, but i could really feel the workout.

I am excited to have found this, and the cool thing is that you really can go your own pace.... I also like that you stand big sections of it which help you work on core strength too.

The hardest part is toughening up your backside to the seat. It's gets more conditioned to it after a few rides.

The hardest part is toughening up your backside to the seat. It's gets more conditioned to it after a few rides.

I agree with Chad...most trouble I had on my home spin bike was being able to set on the seat! You can always go your own pace like others have said...don't worry about what you look like, no one is an expert or perfect when they first start out anything new! You'll have fun, getting those legs pumping feels good once you're "in the groove" :)

I highly suggest that you introduce yourself to the instructor and ask for help adjusting the seat & bike. You'll save yourself unnecessary pain this way. Your crotch will hurt the first time, but it's worth it.

I'm going to Spinning tonight, I'll be thinking of you :)

Have fun!

Well I made it through! My spin/pilates class started last thursday...my bum hurt for like 3 days and my abs hurt till yesterday. But I did it and didn't die! I go back again this Thursday and am happy about it.

I started doing spin classes early January and my butt is finally used to the seat. I go Tuesday and Thursday morning to the one hour spin class. It's a great workout. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm also looking to take spin classes! I'm riding the bike on my own right now and my school offers a second session in march so I'm doing to sign up then. My uncle cycles and teaches lessons too, and he just told me, NO MATTER WHAT, KEEP GOING. even if you have to sit down and slow your pace, in a few classes you'll get better with it!

Glad you had a great time!

I want to sign up for this spin/plates community exercise class...but I'm nervous I'm 3 months out and have lost around 50lbs' date=' but all I have been doing is walking. Will this class kick my butt, is it not the right choice to get started real exercise with? And my friend wants to do it with me and she is in much better shape than me so I don't want to look like a fool....[/quote']

I started a spin class and yes it was hard but I loved it! So no excuses and spin on!!!