Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"normal Life" Down The Road?

Once you get the sleeve, you don't stop actually living and enjoying the normal things in life, do you? Life isn't going to be all about "the sleeve" forever, is it?

I didn't get the sleeve with the thought that I wouldn't enjoy being "normal" at some point. For me, that includes traveling - I LOVE to travel and part of that is enjoying the local cuisine. But the sleeve will allow me to sample smaller portions and once I return from vacation, I'll have the tools (physically and mentally) to do what I need to in order to maintain my weight loss, right? For me, being normal doesn't include being obsessed over each and every bite that goes in my mouth.

I'm 5 weeks post-op and am worried that the constant thoughts about Protein, carbs, fats, how many ounces have I had so far today, etc. will always dominate my thoughts. I'm practically obsessing over grams and percentages of totals of what I eat, and quite frankly, it's annoying!

I don't want to live like this forever...... All I want to be a "normal" size and have "normal" thoughts at some point in my future.

Is this realistic?

I so understand what you are saying. I had the sleeve so that I WOULDN'T T have to obsess forever. I know some people do, and they probably are losing faster than I am. I am living my life now. I am careful, but if the group at work wants to go out to eat, I go. I order something soft enough to eat comfortably and eat what I want of it. I don't get all upset and paranoid about the carbs, Protein, etc. I am not eating ice cream for dinner or anything, but I think with the sleeve you can find a good balance between being the food police and living a life.

Yes of course. I don't think we will ever eat 'normal' size portions though.

Yes of course. I don't think we will ever eat 'normal' size portions though.

I don't expect to (or even want to) eat normal portions :) I just want to live, interact and think normally.

At five months out I guess you would say I am still in the obsessing phase... I figure it will take me a good year of this in order to learn my new habits and get a good feel for how I should be eating in the future and should have been eating all along.

Maybe after a year or so I won't have to be looking as closely at percentages etc, but I do think this way of life will stick with me to a degree permanently. I think long term success may be dependent on it. Part of it is that it becomes more an more natural as time goes on.

You know, those who have been maintaining for a long period of time would probably have the eat answer though.

I don't expect to (or even want to) eat normal portions :) I just want to live' date=' interact and think normally.[/quote']

Well you definitely will then. It's second nature to me what I should eat. I am reintroducing some foods in to my diet that I didn't get on with earlier on. Some are more successful than others. Currently struggling to digest 1/2 side plate of chicken stir fry with rice noodles! I track calories but that's all. Xx

I just know my old 'normal' isn't where I'd ever want to go again.

I don't want to either, as far as my weight and eating habits go. But I do so much want to (need to?) feel that it won't be this obsession forever.

Traveling is a big part of my life and I don't want to feel that I can't go to Paris and enjoy a bite of a crepe. Or to Munich and snack on some pretzel and bratwurst....... I'm not talking 2-3 pretzels and 2 brats - but a small snack-size serving.

Just feeling a bit overwhelmed today I think........

I think once we get to a certain point we will be used to what we are doing and then it will be our new normal. I am just over 2 weeks out. I do watch what I am eating to a point but I would not say I am going crazy. I listen to my body and I stop when I am full. I already have a good idea of what 6 oz of meat looks like so I don't really have to think about it. Some say you have to measure everything and be aware of everything. I agree to a point but there are simpler ways. Just make sure you are mostly eating meat or high Protein foods and drink as much Water as you can. You'll be fine.

You can go to Paris and enjoy your food!!!!! A bite here and there is not going to hurt. Share with the person you are with. Take 3 or 4 bites and walk away. But enjoy those bites. Also excercise!! You want a rich dessert then make sure you are taking a good long stroll thru the streets of paris and burn it off. It's only this hard right now. It will get better 3, 4, 5, months down the road!!!

I have averaged a trip around the world once a month for the last 6 years. I am now 14 weeks post op and have been to Singapore Mallorca, London, Geneva, Montreal, and Amman Jordan, since surgery.

Singapore was effortless. Satay, Hawker food, crab, fish and dim sum. You can eat in Asia like Anthony Bourdain.

Spain was harder than I expected. I leaned heavily into Tapas (which I love) but there is a huge amount of bread and rice in the cuisine. I really had to work to get Protein, and had to rely on Protein Bars more than I would like.

In London I managed pretty well on good meat pies without the crust, Fish and chips without the chips, roast beef without the pudding, bangers without much mash. Again, it was a little tough because there is such a heavy reliance on pastries for Breakfast and sandwiches with only a trace of Protein. I had to go for the occasional sashimi to get my protein.

Switzerland was tough. Bread, cheese pastries and rosti potatoes. I was able to hit a Belgium restaurant for some moules and frites. The also had some hearty stews.

Just back from Amman yesterday and that was easy. Hummus, Labneh, grilled meats, Hamour (I think that is Tilapia). Even the traditional Breakfast of Foul Beans has a fair dose of protein.

I hit Montreal for the second time tomorrow. This time of year there will be lots of game and oysters. I will have to avoid Poutine and the Montreal Bagels. I will see if I can get some good smoked meat. Of course steak and frites is a classic at St. Jean's in both Montreal and Paris, I just go light on the frites.

I hit Santiago next weekend. I plan to go with Ceviche for my lean protein along with grilled meats. The wine is great there. That will be a temptation.

So you can do pretty well with a sleeve even early on. Of course it will be much easier when I am on maintenance instead of a thousand calories a day. There is life after the sleeve.

Sent from my iPad using VST

There is a great book I am reading by a physician on mindlful eating that talks about listening to our bodies to guide our eating like a naturally thin person might... I really like it. www.amihungry.com

i just want to say that in the beginning success with the sleeve IS to weigh and measure your food. I think the eye can be tricky and you may try to consume more than you should. As time goes on and you have lost most of your weight maybe only then you you be lax on this point. They also say that as time goes on you are able to eat more, all the more reason to weigh your food. Enjoy your travels during weight loss and the rest of your life!!