Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Disappointed With Such Poor Weight Loss-Insight?

Ok, I've been good. I've tried to give myself some time, but now I'm just pissed and about to lose my **** with this sleeve revision. I had the band Sept of 2010. Piece of crap it was. I lost a grand total of 20 when all was said and done. Sliming, weight gain, misery- many of you know the deal. Fast forward to July 9th. The Crapband was evicted from my torso. Gone, never to be seen again. Along with it, a good chunk of my stomach. All was fine and dandy the first two weeks. I went from 217 to 203. Whoo Hoo! Yeah, I know a lot of that was Water, but who cares. But from that point on it's been completely disappointing.

The past 9 weeks I have only lost 8-9 pounds. Yes, that is 1 f'ing pound a week on average. Are you kidding me?!!! No, I am not eating sugar, junk, etc. Yes, I am eating loads of Protein. I am not dehydrated. I'm not sitting on my butt all day. I go to physical therapy 3 times a week at a gym for a killer workout to get me back in shape for ski season. My muscles are showing the results of the hard work. I'm active beyond that. I walk. My blood sugar is perfect and my thyroid is allegedly fine(although my family history with it is horrible).

What the hell am I supposed to do? This isn't at stall, this is a full stop. I have lost more weight on my own doing Weight Watchers or Atkins! I can not for the life of me figure out how I can be eating 1/4 of the calories that I used to and exercising more and lose a measly 1 pound a week. Am I really that pathetic? My surgeon has basically written me off after two surgeries. I get the same questions each time I go in. I think he is waiting for me to fess up to something so he can bust me, but I have nothing to confess! I don't even feel the need to go back to his office anymore. His solution was to prescribe me Phentramine. I seem to get no where with him, nor my Endocrinologist who should have some better insight into my obviously messed up metabolism.

I keep reading the July Sleevers thread and I seem to be literally 50% behind (or more) everyone else in weight loss. Next Monday will be 12 weeks and I will be at maybe 23-24 pounds down. I can't imagine that many others have had this poor of a result, not once, but twice, band included.

I would love to hear from anyone who is/has been in my situation. I need some guidance here. This is beyond me wanting to whine. I am past whining. I am pissed off. I have something wrong with me that is preventing me from really losing weight. The past few days I have been starving and eating a lot more than usual. It's not 'head hunger', but growling stomach, light headed, give me food now hunger.

Are your measurements moving at all? When I get stuck I always hear my mom in the back of my head say, 'Muscle weighs more than fat'.

Yes, I am definitely down from 16/18 to a 14 or L/XL, but that happened pretty quick and I've not budged an inch in many weeks.

I wish you could add sounds to a post. You should all hear my stomach growling and making bizarre sounds right now. I'm hungry yet again....Ugh! This is just crazy!

I'm really sorry to hear all this. You shouldn't compare yourself to others, though. A lot of people who have had this surgery are much heavier than you, and the more weight you have to lose, the faster it comes off. I have slowed down dramatically since I got to around 202. I have been losing a pound a week myself. At least you are losing though, right? Also, you mentioned you've been working out a lot - you are probably gaining lean muscle mass. You may want to try eating a little more to give your metabolism a kick. It works. Hang in there. I know it must be hard not to be frustrated after 2 surgeries. Catch up on some sleep and give your body and mind a rest. Stress doesn't do anyone any good. :)

Thanks! I'm even more furstrated with the process because my sister had her sleeve done at the beginning of March. At her 6 month check up she was down 75 pounds. I'm heading towads 3 months and I am not even at 25. We both started out just 5 pounds apart. Can I just liposuck the rest off me??

samomo- who is your surgeon? did you have the band out and then sleeve all in one go? or was it done in 2 surgeries?

Maybe the band has screwed your metabolism... do you know what bougie size your surgeon used? Has he mentioned making your sleeve smaller?

I know this isn't much help but some more info would be good.

I always suggest folks in your boat to start tracking everything in MyFitnessPal. Everything. Exercise, Water and food. Overestimate your food portions and underestimate your exercise.

If you honestly track everything, you can see exactly what is going on. If you are able to maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

You will stall, too, of course, but in the long run, you will lose.

Oh, and I forgot to ask. Are you following the rules explicitly? No drinking with eating? Eat Protein first, then sides?

When exercising, are you reaching your target heart rate?

Sounds like your metabolism needs a jumpstart! I'm 15 weeks and i've been through two stalls. I had read somewhere, that taking in too few calories could hinder weight loss..I tried adding adding calories and fat to my diet, and lost three pounds..Same thing after the second stall. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it's worked for me.

Good luck!

I just got out of ER after smashing a set of scales into my bathroom mirror...

I just found out that a medication I e been on causes weight gain, and although my doctors scales said I was 2 kilos down my brand new, just arrived, digital scales showed me at 4 kilos above my starting weight... 146 kilos!!! My doctors says 126...

But! I try so hard, and this medication has been making me starving and so eating more and then eating junk because I feel bad for eating so much...

I feel like I'm starting all over again and it's so so so long until my surgery...

So, I feel terrible for you! That's a very slow loss weight, I of course think it is a build up of muscle, and definitely a problem with your metabolism- it could definitely be "starvation mode" where your body won't let go of the weight because its scared it won't be getting any more energy...

How are your hair and nails? If they are in poor condition this is a big indication of starvation mode. You can good advice on how to fix this on here and from a nut. I highly recommend seeing a but you trust who won't judge you. This is a personal journey and the last thing you need sometimes is someone like your surgeon double-guessing your routine!

Try doing some cardio on elliptical or treadmill 5 min fast walking, 1-2 min jogging/running, back to walking... Do this for 30-60 mins and this should definitely burn some fat...

Try setting a wake- up time and eat brekky straight away, or after a walk if you want, and don't eat anything 12 hours after this time. Your metabolism starts from the first thing you eat and stops 12 hours later.

Triple, and quadruple check any and ALL medications you are on for weight related side effects...

Finally, find a natural therapist and try some massage or reflexology. You need to relax, you have absolutely no idea until you try this how much stress you are carrying!!! You cannot truly be healthy if you are all clogged up with rage and anxiety...

You WILL be fine, you are a strong and capable person who can do this. You cannot control anything in this world, even your own body, so take a deep breath and with your breath out surrender to this life. You have nothing but time ahead... You will be fine!!!

Cookeeeezzz, you did WHAT?? Smashed the scale into a mirror? Seriously or were you joking. Hard to tell on here. If you did- are you ok??

And can you explain the 12 hour metabolism better?

Not joking :( but I'm ok for now... :)

I think you can look it up, I'll try and find some scholarly info, but I think basically your metabolism is your body turning food into energy. It has active and inactive phases. It basically turns on for the day once you start eating, then turns off so your body can get some sleep. This is why you sleep poorly if you eat too late at night.

So basically, your body uses a little energy up at night to keep everything going, but your metabolism, and hence your fat-burning capacity, is best for a 12 hour window after your first meal.

This is also why you can mess up your metabolism with starvation diets, it can get confused about when to turn on and off depending on what time you do eat...

It would be helpful if you would post a few days of what you are eating and how much. How many calories, prot, carbs are you eating on an average day? If you are using my fitness pal... Post your username and make sure your food diary is open for others to see. Many of us use my fitness pal and could make suggestions from there. If you arent using my fitness pal or something like it-- start! Weighing, measuring, tracking every bite can make a big difference.

samomo- who is your surgeon? did you have the band out and then sleeve all in one go? or was it done in 2 surgeries?

Maybe the band has screwed your metabolism... do you know what bougie size your surgeon used? Has he mentioned making your sleeve smaller?

I know this isn't much help but some more info would be good.

My surgeon is one of the first in the US to be allowed to do the Lapband over 10 years ago.He is very well respected in my area. He's good, no doubt about that.

Yes, I had the band out and sleeve done all in one go. There was no way I was having two surgeries. At first he was not so sure about doing that, but it was one surgery the way I wanted it or nothing. I honestly don't think it made any difference in the outcome.

According to the surgery report, the Bougie size was 34, which I am understanding is the smallest size. My Endocrinologist mentioned to me that she thinks that my metabolism may be permanently damaged due to dieting too many years.

My Endocrinologist mentioned to me that she thinks that my metabolism may be permanently damaged due to dieting too many years.

:( I was worried this might be the case. If so, you just have to work it your way! Find a routine you can stick to and realise "ok, I've damaged my body, now I have to accept my limitations"...

It's kind of like how some people will have a lot of skin, or stretch marks, you will have a slow rate of loss, and you'll have to be careful about yo-yoing...

I mean, if worst comes to worst and you stop too soon maybe adding the ds in a couple if years may be an option, but give it time, I have faith that your body and metabolism can still recover!