Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yesterday I Wrote About My Charley Horse...

from Friday night but the title was ambiguous so I hardly got responses.

In the middle of the night I had my first charley horse in years (not since my last very low calorie diet). I did a search but I'd like some real time people because of questions I might have.

That same morning I also hit the down 40 lb. mark which was awesome BUT also had the WORST Constipation of my life...thought my head would explode from the headache I got. I am going to try everything to make sure that never happens again (cautionary tale people!).

So I am stepping up potassium type things but I'm so upset that I want to do sooo much today my calf hurts a lot. I'm wondering about a heating pad to loosen it, or is it ice...or rest...or movement.. I hate those things that you're not sure which would work.

Anyway, I just want to see how others deal. My biggest fears going into this were the cramps and constipation--- and they hit me hard!

I wouldn't take this surgery back but I can't have this stuff happen regularly.

Thanks in advance for input!!

I am also getting charley horses, so I have upped the Water and added potassium to may daily Vitamins. I simply can't get enough potassium for my body without eating more fruits and veggies, and I don't really have enough room in my tummy for that rit now. I also had this problem when I was on the HCG diet for a year.

As for the Constipation, I've added prunes to my diet and I consider them a triple whammy; they are packed with potassium, they are great for constipation, and they satisfy my sweet tooth. Love me some prunes!

I get charlie horses when I'm not getting enough Water. Dehydration can cause them too. My dr said don't take potassium unless they say yours is low. You can get "too much". For Constipation, I have one Activia yogurt once a day, They commercials say you need like 3 or 4 a day . When I asked the nurse, she said our stomach is small enough that one a day will help,. It may take a few days to show a difference. I started having one for Breakfast every day last Wed. I was using an enema once or twice a month before that and it always worked within 5 min or so. They said that was ok occasionally bur not for regular use. Hope this helps and congrats on your weightloss!

I am also getting charley horses, so I have upped the Water and added potassium to may daily Vitamins. I simply can't get enough potassium for my body without eating more fruits and veggies, and I don't really have enough room in my tummy for that rit now. I also had this problem when I was on the HCG diet for a year.

As for the Constipation, I've added prunes to my diet and I consider them a triple whammy; they are packed with potassium, they are great for constipation, and they satisfy my sweet tooth. Love me some prunes!

Ive never tried prunes...just the name put me running the other direction....may have to try one ...

Yeah, I know this is wrong but I found an old prescription for potassium (2 left) from when I was on Optifast years ago and took a pill last night-- just in case. But I know it isn't good for the heart etc. if you already have too much. When I looked at products and how much % of daily allowance they have of pot. it's like 3% or 7 % --- so you know we're not getting that much of anything to total 100% a day-- given our Protein requirements.

Thank you both-- I did notice a drop in my liquid intake lately- I'll step it up.

Did you by any chance find anything helpful for the muscle pain the next day or days in my case...walk through it, massage, heating pad....any recommendations?

BTW, I'm a teacher so while I do run around at school all day on my feet I'm not really exercising regularly--- yet. I feel like I don't know how I'll make it tomorrow it's so achy!

Ive never tried prunes...just the name put me running the other direction....may have to try one ...

They are so yummy! It's a special plum that's been dried. They are like a great big raisin and packed with anti-oxidants, Fiber, and Vitamins. I get the kind that are individually wrapped and have 1 or 2 per day.

I guess you already know what to do when the cramp hits, but just in case:

-Stretch the muscle by straightening the leg and flex your foot upward.

-Massage the muscle to relax it and apply a cold pack to reduce the blood flow and relax the muscle. Another good cure for a muscle cramp is to take a hot bath or use a heating pad for relief.

-In addition, here are some practical ways to prevent muscle cramps.

As far as long term solution:

-Stretch before exercise. I would say stretch in the morning before work. We are carrying lots of extra weight on our legs, our muscles work extra hard to support our body. for us a regular day at work is like an excercise for a normal weight person.

-Moderate training - easy on you workout! Also, try to sit down during your workday and stretch stretch stretch

-stay hydrated! Drink plenty of Water.< /p>

-Obviously, if cramps become a persistent and recurring problem, you should immediately go to be evaluated by your doctor. "Many times, electrolyte imbalances in the body can cause cramping so your physician may want to take some blood to analyze that the levels of potassium and other electrolytes are normal. There are also multiple muscle-relaxing medications that can be prescribed if the muscle cramping is a chronic problem, particularly at night."

Yeah' date=' I know this is wrong but I found an old prescription for potassium (2 left) from when I was on Optifast years ago and took a pill last night-- just in case. But I know it isn't good for the heart etc. if you already have too much. When I looked at products and how much % of daily allowance they have of pot. it's like 3% or 7 % --- so you know we're not getting that much of anything to total 100% a day-- given our Protein requirements.

Thank you both-- I did notice a drop in my liquid intake lately- I'll step it up.

Did you by any chance find anything helpful for the muscle pain the next day or days in my case...walk through it, massage, heating pad....any recommendations?

BTW, I'm a teacher so while I do run around at school all day on my feet I'm not really exercising regularly--- yet. I feel like I don't know how I'll make it tomorrow it's so achy![/quote']

I used to get them all the time and I had bought those thermacare heat pads, like the ones for your period and I would attach it to my calf. Lol but now they have different shapes for different things. It feels amazing on that muscle!

Quote: I used to get them all the time and I had bought those thermacare heat pads, like the ones for your period and I would attach it to my calf. Lol but now they have different shapes for different things. It feels amazing on that muscle!

That's what I'm doing right now. I just always am afraid about the ice vs. heat and don't want to make it worse by doing the opposite. But it feels good!

Yeah, I know this is wrong but I found an old prescription for potassium (2 left) from when I was on Optifast years ago and took a pill last night-- just in case. But I know it isn't good for the heart etc. if you already have too much. When I looked at products and how much % of daily allowance they have of pot. it's like 3% or 7 % --- so you know we're not getting that much of anything to total 100% a day-- given our Protein requirements.

BTW, I'm a teacher so while I do run around at school all day on my feet I'm not really exercising regularly--- yet. I feel like I don't know how I'll make it tomorrow it's so achy!

I usually walk it off...most football coaches carry mustard packages to the football games. When a player gets a cramp, they squirt it in their mouth , it shocks the body and causes the muscles to relax . I haven't tried it myself.

Also a hot Water bottle helps or heating pad.

I am pre-op, but I get them all the time from a medication I take. I'm not sure if we can have it, but Emergen-C was a lifesaver for me. It's a bit effervescent, so it may be an issue. Also, the Vitamin C in it helps me to go. Or, coffee on an empty stomach.

I just read a new study that states that people who take PPIs for long term ( eg over a month) get leg cramps and other cramping issues because the PPI is blocking absorption as the stomach acid helps break down the Vitamins and nutrients for absorption in the intestines. Taking extra c helps with the core absorption issue in the intestines where taking extra potassium and magnesium helps work around the absorption issue by increasing the dose available for absorption. As sleevers, we have to do one of these because of the requirement of taking a PPI to prevent extreme acid reflux or perceived hungry feelings. Good luck.

I just read a new study that states that people who take PPIs for long term ( eg over a month) get leg cramps and other cramping issues because the PPI is blocking absorption as the stomach acid helps break down the Vitamins and nutrients for absorption in the intestines. Taking extra c helps with the core absorption issue in the intestines where taking extra potassium and magnesium helps work around the absorption issue by increasing the dose available for absorption. As sleevers, we have to do one of these because of the requirement of taking a PPI to prevent extreme acid reflux or perceived hungry feelings. Good luck.

That's very interesting.

I'm going to call the Dr.'s office tomorrow and see what they suggest.

It's always ice for the first 24 hours after injury, then heat from the second day onward UNLESS there is swelling. I'm a licensed massage therapist and I see this all the time. People get them confused. And people come to me with a fresh injury and want me to treat it but I can't. Massaging a fresh soft tissue injury will only increase the inflammation.

Google the RICE method. As the victim of many sports related injuries I am a firm believer in it.

As for the calf cramps, I had them too after surgery. I was working out real hard and it was hot outside. Even though I was drinking about 80 oz of Water and taking potassium supplements, the cramps still persisted. I upped my Water and they went away. I even quit taking the potassium but have not had another cramp. I now drink about 140-150 oz per day.