Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking ... Breathing

First I have to admit I am not the exercise guru and there are times I do need to push myself to exercise.

However, yesterday and today I walked a mile (1/2 mile ea day...its a start). I'm kinda proud of myself for that. I stopped to breath about 2 times ea day during the walk. Found myself getting winded.

So here's my question.

When doing any type of exercising what is the proper technique in breathing?

It seems when I tell people I get winded the first question asked is 'are you breathing properly?

Well, obviously not. When to inhale. When to exhale.

I live in Washington, DC so I walk around the Monument grounds, White House, basically the tourist areas. I did do 3 miles which is walking from the Monument around the Reflecting pool and back to the Monument. I know this because I walk ea year for the Alzheimer's Assoc. in memory of my mother.

So I know I can do 3 miles.

Thanks in advance for your support, responses & comments. As always they are appreciated.

push myself to exercise. , yesterday and today I walked a mile (1/2 mile ea day...its a start). I'm kinda proud of myself for that. Thanks in advance for your support, responses & comments. As always they are appreciated.

CoolBreeze

Congrats on your wonderful success

there are other people on this board that are ashamed to admit that they don't exercise much, or not at all

so i'll be the first to raise my hand and tell you all that i don't exercise much

i'm not proud of it, i just never exercised

i have been doing Water aerobics lately, and i will go back to the gym - hopefully sooner than later

nobody has to tell me the importance of exercise, especially after WLS - and the exercise committment should be like the committment to the SLEEVE

i am totally working and committed to my sleeve - totally committed - therefore i know i can get over this obstacle, and will be successful, it might take a while still but....

what i'm trying to say CoolBreeze - is that you are off to a great start, 3 miles (and for a good cause),

i know i know it takes me forever to say some stuff, but you might not be an exercise guru yet- but your on the road to to it and much better health

not sure how much i helped you, but for me, confession was good for the soul, and i feel alot better now after telling my secret

Continued luck to you - and mabye me too

good for you on your walking

now i just need to practice what i preach

Much appreciated. Its like the first step to WLS, admitting you need help, help from those in the field of weight management. And I love my team of doctors/nut/office staff. Heck, my therapist had help me tremendously, before, during and after surgery.

Exercising for me use to be going to the frige getting a beer and walking back to the sofa. I striving to be a jogger, at least by next summer, I hope. For now I just want to get in the gym, use the weights, treadmill, etc. I said I was getting a gym membership and haven't gotten it yet. I don't want to get it and then not use it after a few weeks/months. If I can committ to WLS I should be able to committ to exercising.

It will happen. I will make it happen. :wacko:<_<:rolleyes::mellow:

Maybe I'll find me an old Jack Lelane DVD and start there ;)B)

Correct breathing= in through the nose / out the mouth. If you're getting too winded for deep breaths try : in/ in out/out in shorter bursts.

just remember in through the nose no matter how big of breaths you take. Mouth breathing should be a no-no.

Congrats on making moves! The breathing will get easier as your fitness level improves :)

Correct breathing= in through the nose / out the mouth. If you're getting too winded for deep breaths try : in/ in out/out in shorter bursts.

just remember in through the nose no matter how big of breaths you take. Mouth breathing should be a no-no.

Congrats on making moves! The breathing will get easier as your fitness level improves :)

Thank You. :)