Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Decided To Do This

Hello! My name is Jennifer. I am 39 years old and I'm a happily married mom to 5 children. I am 5 ft tall and weight 270. My BMI is 53. I have tried to lose weight for years but I keep gaining.

I have thought about wls for years but have always been afraid. My sister in law got a sleeve about a year ago and has lost over 100 lbs. she looks awesome and says its the best thing she ever did. So, I've been researching and have decided to do it.

I have an appointment with her surgeon on September 11. I have the same insurance as she has b/c our husbands work at the same place. So I know they cover the surgery but there are requirements I have to meet. I have BCBS of WV.

I guess I probably won't be able to have surgery for 6 months or so because of the required diet. So I'm kind of bummed. At the same time, I'm scared!

I've been reading a LOT of posts on here and have been brought to tears at some of your progress and NSVs. I'm so happy for you and sad for the person I have become.

I cannot wait until I am less than 200 lbs... And to think I might wear a size 8 again is almost unbelievable!

I'm scared of surgery still but I think NOT having the surgery is probably scarier! I know myself though and I'm worried I will freak out at the last minute and chicken out.

I know I have a few months to prepare but just wanted to introduce myself and become a part of the community. :-)

Jennifer...don't be sad about the woman you've become.....be THRILLED about the woman you WILL become!! Even if it takes 6 months to have the surgery...use that time to learn everything you can about eating more healthfully (I highly recommend the book "The End of Overeating"), and to deal with any emotional/psychological issues you may have related to food. I promise you, doing that prior to surgery will make life after surgery INFINITELY easier!!

Best of luck to you!

Laura

Some insurance companies waive the weightless attempts if your bmi is 50. I hope you do consider surgery. Studies show its the best shot long term.I was sleeved yesterday after having failed lap band removed. I have been skinny and fat and skinny sure feels better.

Thank you both for the encouragement. I definitely plan to do it. I am getting impatient already!

Thedogsmommy, you had surgery yesterday...how do you feel?

Welcome to the board! :)

I'm pre-surgery as well, I see my doctor in October to see if he can put my referral in sooner than expected, otherwise I'm currently in the "3 month required diet" phase, which will put me at end of November to be referred to a surgeon. Unfortunately, I don't even know what happens after that - so I'm sort of in the dark about when I can actually have surgery.

I know the feeling about being sad about what I've become... I hope to rid myself of this feeling as I rid myself of the extra weight! Good luck to you in your journey, I hope to hear more of your progress.

I might be skipping steps by going straight to the surgeon. I don't know. I just made the appt with him because that's where my SIL went. I believe he will put me on the right track though.

I don't know how I'm supposed to prove I have attempted weight loss in the past though. I was prescribed phentermine for weightloss a few years ago. My old doc gave me diet advice. That was in a different state though. I hope I can get the documentation that they want.

I might be skipping steps by going straight to the surgeon. I don't know. I just made the appt with him because that's where my SIL went. I believe he will put me on the right track though.

I don't know how I'm supposed to prove I have attempted weight loss in the past though. I was prescribed phentermine for weightloss a few years ago. My old doc gave me diet advice. That was in a different state though. I hope I can get the documentation that they want.

If you've ever done Weight Watchers, there is trackable information available from them. The same with any other "purchased" diet programs (Jenny Craig, NutraSystem, etc). When I filled out my paperwork I listed multiple attempts at WW, NutraSystem, Atkins, working with a personal trainer, and Herbalife. There was never a question asked about providing documentation related to any previous diet attempts. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you! :)

Hi Jennifer, believe me I feel your pain. My BMI is 67.2 It took me a long time to realize that I needed help to get and keep the weight off. For a few years I went back and forth with myself about losing weight. People don't realize how hard it is for a "obese" person to lose weight. I work @ a hospital and losing weight is always a topic at lunch. It bothered me inside because I couldn't understand why they could lose the weight and I couldn't. Like u I have BC/BS and I was referred by my PCP, met the surgeon then started a 6 month weight management class, dis all the pre-op test, now I am at my last hurdle. My suegery is Sept 12 and I cant believe that it is here. I would see and hear about people who have wls and I would be like , Wow that could have been me. And now my time is here, just like in a few months it will be your time to shine. Believe me, u have made the right decision for yourself. Just be patient and now that we are all here for u when u need it the most. Good luck!

I've never done WW or JC. Never could afford it. But I've dieted my whole adult life. Hopefully I won't need detailed proof of that.

Mgsmith72, I appreciate the encouragement. I had been hoping that since my BMI is so high, they would let me skip the 6 month diet but you have a high BMI too and you had to do it. Did you lose much weight on that?

People really don't understand what it's like being obese... I am severely obese. I feel like I'm trapped inside a marshmallow. I can't physically exercise like people think I should. It hurts! But I do try.

I have hypothyroidism too which doesn't help. My SIL had hypothyroidism but hers went away after surgery!

How do you add people to your friends list on here? Or is that even possible?

height : 5 ft, weight: 270, BMI: 53 Cant wait to get sleeved!

Yes, I still had to do the 6 months, but believe me the time flies by. The other thing I have to do is get a IVC filter because if my weight to prevent blood clots.

Oh I also have DJD in both knees so its hard for me to work out or walk too!!

you can call bcbs directly and ask them what their requirements are to get approved. i bypassed my gp and went right to the surgeon. i've been overweight my whole life currently 5'8" and 325lbs as of this morning at my consultation. my insurance doesn't require a referral so i went to a seminar on 8/4 and today had my consultation. i am also getting antsy so i am trying to do things to help speed up the process.

bcbs of il sayed a bmi of 35 with 2 comorbidities or 40+ bmi w/none. i have a list somewhere from them of what they require. i sent them a question online and they sent me a letter that explained the above and also layed out all the pre-op stuff that is required for their approval. good luck!

Good luck. We all feel your pain. I'm only in the first month of my 3 month insurance game, but if all goes well I should be sleeved before year end! Maybe you will too!

you can call bcbs directly and ask them what their requirements are to get approved. i bypassed my gp and went right to the surgeon. i've been overweight my whole life currently 5'8" and 325lbs as of this morning at my consultation. my insurance doesn't require a referral so i went to a seminar on 8/4 and today had my consultation. i am also getting antsy so i am trying to do things to help speed up the process.

bcbs of il sayed a bmi of 35 with 2 comorbidities or 40+ bmi w/none. i have a list somewhere from them of what they require. i sent them a question online and they sent me a letter that explained the above and also layed out all the pre-op stuff that is required for their approval. good luck!

Do you have bcbsil ppo or h.m.o.?

i have bcbsil ppo.