Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bananas have been the one and only thing to just really hurt my stomach since my surgery almost 7 months ago. I still can't tolerate them. I have stomach gurgling sounds and stabbing pains when I do try to eat them. My doctor says this is odd because for some of his patients intially after surgery bananas are all they can eat. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had issues with bananas?

ohhhhh.......... and I thought I was the only one... I loved bananas prior to surgery.. I used to make smoothies, slice them up on my Cereal, etc.... If I eat a banana now or even anything banana flavored it comes up with the quickness!! LOL I definitely cannot tolerate them.. I even had to throw out my strawberry banana Protein powder!!! NO CAN DO!!! :(

I eat only a third of a medium to small banana about three times a week. Could it be the amount you are eating? :) I love it with low fat no sugar Peanut Butter - yum

I think we all have a fruit we loved that we can't eat any longer. For me it's pineapple. I can do ok with a banana but I could take em or leave em. I loved pineapple and now I'm like you with bananas, its a no go. It's good to know you aren't alone with the bananas though. I'll trade you the ability to eat bananas for the ability to eat pineapple (if you can that is). :D

Maybe you are just sensitive or allergic to bananas? I am pre op but have always loved bananas and I have recently noticed that if I eat a banana on an empty stomach I get a terrible stomach ache. I researched it a little and read that for some people a stomach ache after eating bananas is the only indication of an allergy. I also read that people with a Latex allergy which I have sometimes also have issues with bananas and tomatoes and I have both.

Maybe you are just sensitive or allergic to bananas? I am pre op but have always loved bananas and I have recently noticed that if I eat a banana on an empty stomach I get a terrible stomach ache. I researched it a little and read that for some people a stomach ache after eating bananas is the only indication of an allergy. I also read that people with a Latex allergy which I have sometimes also have issues with bananas and tomatoes and I have both.

I loved bananas as well but it's one thing that I cannot tolerate since my surgery. No allergy or reasoning behind it. A lot of folks taste buds change once they have their surgeries... It's almost like learning how to eat again. I used to love leftovers and had no problem eating foods that were 1 or 2 days old.. Now??? forget about it.... :(

No, I don't think it's the amount because the discomfort starts with bite #1. I think it has something to do with the texture of the banana and it not wanting to go down. I have a similar issue with strawberries and actually most other fruit that I have tried. I haven't been brave enough to try pineapple yet though. But same with peaches, grapes and really everything but softened strawberries. I have had some discomfort with uncooked veggies also so maybe it is the raw factor that is too much on my sleeve? Bananas are the worst offender though. The first time I tried a banana I thought I was going to either vomit or die if I didn't!