Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post Op And Down :(

I am 5 days post op and Having a hard time with the mental aspect of the fact that I will never be able to eat "normal" again. I have lost over 40 lbs since the beginning of my surgery and am ecstatic. I am so glad! Although I know that eventually I will be able to eat solid foods again, it's bothering me that I cannot cook a meal and sit down to eat it with my family right now. I guess I just need to get use to the new "normal". And this goes to show that I WAS addicted to food emotionally and it's a good thing I did this. Also, I'm sure this is head hunger I am feeling, but I feel so hungry in the evening. And when I take a couple small bites of Jello or something to that nature I feel extremely full. Any thoughts are appreciated. :)

Welcome to the club my friend. Everything you are experiencing is SO normal. Most all of us were/are food addicts. My first 6 weeks were heartbreaking and emotional. I questioned what I had done. Now it doesn't bother me so much. We save so much money. My boyfriend and I went to a jazz festival this weekend. The food looked fantastic, and I wanted ALL of it. Instead, my boyfriend ordered a pulled pork salad and a greek salad. I grabbed a fork..took two bites of the pork (no bread) and a few bites of the greek salad and I was TOTALLY satisfied. Who would have ever thought that this food addict would start seeing eating as a CHORE now. Just like you slowly became a food addict, you will slowly learn to live your life with very little food and it won't bother you. Hang in there. It gets easier with time.

Keep in mind, that you will eventually be able to eat just about anything. Just less of it :) So yes, right now you are recovering and not eating what your family eats. But before you know it you can cook a healthy, high Protein meal that you all can share. Just everyone's portions will be different.

As Tonja said, what you are experiencing is completely normal. food has served as our best friend and comforter for a long, long time for many of us. Just take it one day at a time, and before you know it you will be embracing your new life.

Hi and welcome to VST. As TMyeres1471 pointed out, what you are going through is completely normal. Once you are off restricted diet, your mindset will change. You may still get head hunger, but it won't be what it is now or what is was preop. Also, when you eat you will be satisfied with very little. I've had a few mental hurdles with wanting to eat more than my sleeve will let me, but that is easily solved by slowing down how fast I eat. When it takes longer to eat, I feel like I'm getting more. Yeah, it's head games but it works. Hang in there! I promise it will be better once you are off restricted diet. You ate in a rough part of this journey. Remember, it is only temporary.

You are not alone in this battle. Your thoughts were also my thoughts. I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning and I am questioning myself, as well. However, when it is done, I know I will not regret my decision to have this surgery.

I am 5 days post op and Having a hard time with the mental aspect of the fact that I will never be able to eat "normal" again. I have lost over 40 lbs since the beginning of my surgery and am ecstatic. I am so glad! Although I know that eventually I will be able to eat solid foods again' date=' it's bothering me that I cannot cook a meal and sit down to eat it with my family right now. I guess I just need to get use to the new "normal". And this goes to show that I WAS addicted to food emotionally and it's a good thing I did this. Also, I'm sure this is head hunger I am feeling, but I feel so hungry in the evening. And when I take a couple small bites of Jello or something to that nature I feel extremely full. Any thoughts are appreciated. :)[/quote']

U lost 40lbs in five days?

U lost 40lbs in five days?

I'm thinking she means she's lost 40 lbs since she began the wls journey.

I'm 2 weeks post op today and I could have written this post myself last Saturday. I was at my SIL's house and was very emotional when everyone was having ritas and beer with queso and chips while waiting on the burgers to cook. I excused myself and went home crying the whole way. My husband's family understood why I left and they know until I get past these next phases I may sit more gatherings out. It's what I have to do for me for now. As all the vets say it is so normal and this too will pass.

Support is soooo critical right now. I had a friend who was sleeved in January and really struggled for the first few weeks. She said then and still says a solid support system is incredibly important.....so keep coming back to VST!!!

New to this site, I am 4 weeks post op. struggling with a lot of different things.

Felt the same way in the beginning, not really sure what to expect. I eat, but then am hungry again in a couple of hours, and i get like a bubbling sensation in my stomach... What the heck is that all about? Not sure if I'm not eating enough at a time, too fast or if it's just "head hunger". Like some of us on the site, my eating habits and food choices revolved around " what diet should I be on today?" and then I'd choose food accordingly. For me, it's a huge adjustment to being able to eat normal food but in small quantities. Love the fact that I had the surgery, just would like to know if how I feel is " normal".

Also, lost 30 pounds total, but mt weight loss has really slowed down.. Any thoughts?

New to this site' date=' I am 4 weeks post op. struggling with a lot of different things.

Felt the same way in the beginning, not really sure what to expect. I eat, but then am hungry again in a couple of hours, and i get like a bubbling sensation in my stomach... What the heck is that all about? Not sure if I'm not eating enough at a time, too fast or if it's just "head hunger". Like some of us on the site, my eating habits and food choices revolved around " what diet should I be on today?" and then I'd choose food accordingly. For me, it's a huge adjustment to being able to eat normal food but in small quantities. Love the fact that I had the surgery, just would like to know if how I feel is " normal".

Also, lost 30 pounds total, but mt weight loss has really slowed down.. Any thoughts?[/quote']

Welcome to VST!

Your weight loss is awesome. What you lose from week to week will vary, but you have to look at the big picture. At this point, you are averaging over 7 pounds a week. As far as feeling hungry 2 hours later, what are you eating? I found that until I got meat sources of Protein, I wanted to eat more often than I do now. Also, make sure you aren't drinking with your meals and that you are chewing your food well and eating slowly. Those things will help.

It gets easier as time goes by. Soon you will be able to eat like the new normal you and eating healthy than in the past! Your body will look so hot and hotter as time goes by and you will feel so good about yourself that this will all be worth it! :)