Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Putting My Mind At Ease

Hi eveyone,

I am 4 weeks post up. I am very grateful but still I have mixed emotions about my sleeve. Prior to being sleeved I would read where people would say that they were scared that they would be the person that the sleeve did not work for. I did not understand why they would think that. Well.... I'm afraid to say I feel the same way. Please know that I've read TONS of forum posts both here and on other sites, watched TONS of videos to know that I have to be patient and tha everyone's journey is not the same. Please know that I am not comparing. I am simply scared that perhaps this might not work. Here's my details:

In late 2006 I weighed 284Ibs, I lost 77Ibs within a little over a year. I did this by mostly working out (almost everyday) and reduced my food intake. In the last year I stopped running and kickboxing due to osteoarthritis and a major flare up with my knees prompted to tone down my workouts. So within the last year I went up to 236Ibs. I never was able to go below 200Ibs. I decided it was time, I realized I needed the tool to help me. So I did my research I knew that I already know have working out down so that would not be a problem. I realized that I needed help with Portion Control. I lost 8Ibs pre op bring my surger day weight to 228Ibs. I've read that I would need to maximize the 1st 6 to 9 months for my wieght loss so I was prepared to do everything and beyond that was recommended of me. From day one I walked as I was told to. And days after that I made it a point to walk at least 30mins, I listened to my body and stopped when needed. I drank my Water the 1st week even though that was hard. By almost week 3 I was drinking 60ounces of water. And now in week 4, I drink (not exagerating) 90-105 ounces. I have to say I really bounced back pretty good. I'm now back to working out at the gym on the elliptical and taking my spinning classes as well ast other cardio-weight training classes. So now 1st week post op I lost 11ibs... yay! but I knew I hardly ate anything as I was only on broth and popsicles. The second week I lost 1ibs, the third week I lost 1.8 and now at 4 weeks I lost 1ibs.... making it a total of about 14Ibs since surgery. Please don't get me wrong I know that it would have been hard to accomplish without VSG. BUT I trully never expected small losses at week 2 onwards. In all the reasearch I never knew that I would lose just about a pound a week after the 1st week. Now I know someone will say this is perhaps the dreaded 3 week stall but this is was on my second week! For some reason I thought after the 1st week that perhaps about 3 - 5Ibs lost on the average would be reasonable for at least 4 weeks. Believe me when I say I am really doing everything right, I forgot to mention that I am taking in at least 80gm of Protein. Am I missing something? Over a week ago my calorie intake was about 660cal a day. My NUT said I needed to increase the calories especially since I've been really working out, she would like to see me as close as possible to 100cal. I must admit, this scared me but I increased it to about avg 780cals this last week. I know everyone is different but I read where people about 4weeks out can hardly drink or eat and are no where near 800cals. I like to consider myself blessed to be almost back to normal but really wonder if my calorie intake of 780Ibs too high for 4weeks. Am I in the three week stall and then perhaps next week things will get going, perhaps my stall started a week earlier? who knows... I would hate to have gone through something I believed in so much as VSG and have it not work out for me. Really are there those that this does no work for. Most days I'm able to put the negative thoughts away and behind me but I can't help but wonder. I've analyzed my eating, water intake, Vitamins, protien and workout. Where else or what else have I missed? I've got to lose right? My HRM reading says I've burned at least 400cals a day for the past 4days. Is there anyone out there that this has happend to but started to loss a little more by month two. When I 1st lost 77Ibs I worked out like crazy to keep it off. My hopes with the VSG was that I could still keep my workouts but not like crazy. These last three weeks I've worked hard for little loss and yet I'm not eating as much as I used to. I wondered if I did not workout if I would have lost anything. My goal is to lose about 60 to 70Ibs but I wonder if setting a goal is especially that low would be attainable. Sorry guys I'm just venting.

PS: Sorry for any typos or incorrect spellings.

You will be successful! You will lose the weight! You are losing weight. The amount of exercise you are doing is great. You are probably gaining muscle. This is good and I think you know this. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may not be seeing a huge drop in the scale, but you will. All that new muscle will also increase your metabolism. It's all good!

Also, at week four, as you have read on the forum, things slow WAY down for a while and may even stop. I experienced this. Your body is readjusting to the initial weight loss. You are probably losing inches. It will pick back up again. My doctor was really happy with an average weight loss of 2-3 lbs a week. Prior to surgery, we would have been thrilled with this rate also! Try to look at your average over a month rather than looking at each week. I will see a sudden drop in the scale, then it's back up the next day, then it is down one more, then same....But when I look back over time, I am losing an average of 3 lbs a week.

You are not the first one to think this will not work for them and you will not be the last. I have had the same thoughts. Just keep up the fantastic work you are doing. It is obvious you are sticking with the plan! You will do great. My prediction is you will have some rockin' 6 month post op photos posted five months from now!!

I am 11 days post op and have bounced back very well. Some discomfort but I can see full recovery is not too far away(as far as activity etc). I haven't had the perfect Protein and Water intake but I'm tracking and staying on program fairly well including walking. I have lost 1 1/2 pounds and like u I am scared this isn't gonna work for me. All the dramatic weight loss I have read about and was expecting is just not the case for me. Yesterday I cried to my boyfriend winding if I haven't made a huge mistake or if I'm doing something wrong. My calories are more in the 900 range like during preop. Damn scale. I am going for my 2 week checkup on wednesday and will have measurements done and weigh in and hopefully the doc can reassure me everything is ok.

Don't look at the scale day by day, don't obsess week by week. Just do what your program calls for and IT WILL WORK. I swear, you'll blink and year will have passed and you will be TONS SMALLER.

BELIEVE.

I am in the same place as you although I am only 2 weeks post op as of today. My 2 weeks on Optifast leading up to surgery, I lost approximately 18 lbs, then another 11 lbs in the first wek while on the liquid diet. Now that week 2 has come and gone, I have not lost a thing this past week. I know from my caloric intake and Protein intake that I cant possibly go without losing weight but it may just be different than what others have experienced. I know how you feel and sometimes think the same way, but i just keep telling myself that it will come off.... Now, I am down 70 lbs since February so my weight loss may be slowed since I lost the initial weight before surgery that many may not have lost until after. Regardless, I feel that once I can start rigorious physical activity, I will lose and keep the weight off.

Your NUT is probably correct. Getting to 900 or 1000 calories, at least, should up your metabolism, especially given how active you are. None of us are Michael Phelps, but that guy has to take in 12000 calories a day. Try giving your NUT's advice a whirl for a week or two and see what happens. I realize it seems scary. A lot of people on these boards talk about how upping their caloric intake during a stall seems to break them out of it.

Also, have you measured yourself? A friend of mine, who is almost at 2 years past her sleeve surgery date, finds that she continues to lose inches even if the scale seems stuck. She didn't start working out until a year after the surgery and really wishes she hadn't waited. You're on the right track.

Do not fear, you are doing fine. My weight loss fluctuated month to month even though I ate the same 600-800 calories each day. Mostly I lost about 2 lbs a week, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, and one month I only lost 4 lbs. Keep to your plan and keep active and the weight will come off. Every little bit helps and it all adds up to a big number in the end if you persevere.

Thank you all so much. I feel you all are right. I will continue to up my calories but with the correct choices. You all are great... Thanks