Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the first 6-8 weeks post-op how often do you eat?

I know a lot of people say they aren't hungry at all so they have to make themselves eat. Do you set a timer and just eat at meal times....or do you nibble a little here and there all day to get in your Protein and some calories?

I usually eat 3 small meals a day and 2 snacks..but only if I am hungry. I do get hungry because I only eat about 6 teaspoons per meal...always Protein first. This morning for breakfast...I had 1 pack of instant oatmeal with soy milk instead of Water, and I had half a scoop of Protein Powder. I ate about 3/4 of it!

The first week I set a timer. But now i'm 5 Weeks out I find myself eating 5 small meals a day and that's including my Protein shakes. I know when I need to eat because i lose my energy :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

Am I correct in the understanding that someone with a sleeve does not "feel" hungry anymore? That that part of the stomach has been removed?

I don't ever feel hungry but you still get the hunger growls some people say its indigestion or acid reflux. Early out you still feel hungry cuz the grehlin is still in your system. The mind hunger sure plays tricks on you and can make you think you are hungry.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

I'm off over the summer, so I have the advantage of being able to track everything hourly. I use a "Diet Minder" journal, to track food, liquids, and exercise. For my food, I plan my day out, by the hour, the evening before...so I know what I need to be doing (eating, drinking, or taking meds) as the day progresses. I typically eat every 3 hours, give or take...whether its soft food (tuna fish, salmon, cottage cheese, etc), or a Protein Shake. In between, I'm drinking Water, hot tea, etc. This approach enables me to make sure I reach my Protein and liquid goals every day, and keeps my energy levels steady throughout the day. As for my meds, I have alarms set on my iPhone, so I'm reminded to take every supplement as directed. If I'm going to be out of the house during the day (when I would be needing to take my Calcium + Vit D tablets), I make sure to pack a couple in a ziploc bag to take with me. Also, I never leave the house without a bottle of Muscle Milk and 1 or 2 bottles of water in a little soft cooler, with ice packs. I never want to find myself in a situation where my energy is dropping, and I don't have a protein boost to tide me over til I can get home. Yes, it takes a little planning, but its well worth the security it brings, and knowing I'm getting everything I'm supposed to be getting (protein, water, meds, etc) makes me feel like I'm truly succeeding! Best of luck to you! :)

The first few weeks, since you're not eating a whole lot, it sometimes makes sense to keep a Protein shake or a carton of yogurt sitting next to you in a bowl with some ice (I set mine on a towel to avoid the drips!). Then you can take a sip or a slurp every so often when you're thinking about it. I absolutely second the very organized lollyfidy's tips from above (wow, she's got it going on!!) for traveling prepared. If for whatever reason you find yourself away from home and having a "crash," and you know what I'm talking about, where your energy level tanks and you start snapping at people for no apparent reason, remember that most convenience stores now have yogurt (some even have Greek yogurt!), reduced-sugar Gatorade (hydration!), and mozzarella sticks. I keep a pack of almonds or peanuts and a Protein Bar in my purse, and I'm 15-1/2 months out from surgery! Sometimes you just need a Protein boost, and it's helpful to have it handy.

But yeah, eat when you're hungry. You may not feel hunger--I didn't--so setting a timer isn't a bad idea until you get in the swing of things. Once you're more healed and more active, your energy will sort of tell you when it's time to eat if you don't get the typical hunger signals. Hydration is equally, if not more, important, so definitely be sure you're getting that water/fluid in! BEST!!

I have to eat by the clock and/or w/my family. Otherwise I "forget" to eat. I will sort of get "hungry" feeling if it's been way too long but even that feeling goes away after a minute or so. It's crazy. I've never felt like this before.

Oh, and I'm 8 weeks out.

I do every 4 hours by the clock cause I forget to eat all the time now! Never thought I would say that ever!! It will get to be dinner time and I will realize I haven't eaten all day.