Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery do u have to drink the Protein Shakes for? Or is it for the rest of my life? Trying to prepare for post op so i want to know if i buy one- two buckets of Protein mix will be enough or is it something i will be buying using for the rest of my life?

That is really going to depend upon you. Once they are eating full foods again, many people are able to get in their Protein without shakes. Some like to continue with the shakes, regardless. I am over two years out and start every day off with my own cinna-banana shake because it is healthy, gives me lots of protein and I feel filled with energy after drinking it.

I'm 5 weeks post op and have not had a protien shake in quite a while. I seem to get enough protien without them. One think that helps me in the morning though is that I make a smoothie with one container of greek yogurt, a little fruit and skim milk. It starts my day with around 20 grams of protien.

don't buy alot of any one protien drink, chances are you will NOT want that same drink over and over and over and over and over...

Variety will also make it feel less like a chore.

I suggest trying a variety pack from one like unjury or chike, and when you see one is favorable to you, buy it in a bucket, but perhaps the10-20 servings not mega-bucket xxx, lol

Once you start on solids, usually around the 5 week mark, You should be trying your best to get your Protein from food, not shakes. My surgeon was very persistent with this and I'm so glad he was. As long ad you can tolerate chicken, Tina, fish etc I say go for it and only have a shake if needed. It really helps with getting your sleeve used to more and different foods as well.

I agree with those that replied to your question so far. If you'd like, buy individual packets of a few brands to find out which you like. Your taste may change post-op, but at least you might not be stuck with a whole tub of of a flavor you might not like. In the beginning I bought 2 big containers and thought it wasn't half bad in taste. Post-op I thought they were unbearable, and I was just able to give them away to someone else just this past Sunday.

I am 3+ months out and I personally love 'Proti Diet' brand high Protein hot cocoa drink mix that I ordered through BariatricChoice.com. I add this to my Decaf coffee almost every morning simply because I used to love mochas, and still do, just with lower sugar content. For the rest of my day I get my Protein from food.

I could never drink them, so I never have and never will!!

I could never drink them, so I never have and never will!!

How did you get your Protein in in the beginning then? And did you have side effects from not enough? I am forcing myself to get at least 60 grams of Protein a day and yet I feel weak, shaky, and I am having numbness in my hands and feet.

I ate a lot of baby bel cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, tuna salad, egg salad, turkey pepperoni-- I spread small amounts out into 6 meals per day.

My nutritionist wanted me off them as soon as possible. She was perturbed when I told her I still have them occasionally. Absurd. I ignored her. I have one about once or twice a week and even make soft serve ice cream out of them. Made chocolate Almond Roca yesterday.

You can get you Protein exclusively from food, but I like them. It's your choice.

There are other threads on here with more information on Protein powders. I found one that listed sites to get samples. I ordered 13 samples (buy 12 get 1 free) from Vita Lady for $3/piece. They are large samples, could probably make at least 4-6 shakes with each. I've also read others who said GNC and Vitamin World will mix you a shake in the store or give you a sample to take. I would recommend trying those things before purchasing a huge container, many of them are nasty!

I couldn't tolerate them either. I've never had one. I didn't and still haven't (I'm 6 weeks out.) managed to get 60 grams of Protein in a day. No side effects yet but I'm told my hair will start falling out.

Try Max Protein by SEI Nutrition. Seriously, my shakes are great. You also should dress them up a bit and for God's sake, mix them with milk. I use 2%.

Wow ok yeah i will definitely go for the sample packs. I am going to Max muscle within the next week to have taste test. They will let you sample anything in the store so i hope it goes well. I am glad to hear i will only have to bear them for so long. Thanks everyone your responses have been really helpful! ;-) 28 days to go before i become a sleeve sister!