Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone this is my first post been lurking around soaking all the info. in and writing so much done. This is my last month on the 6 month weight management the insurance requires and i have to make a decision on what procedure i want the sleeve or the RNY. I've been looking at so many video's on YouTube and bouncing back and forth between this sight and the RNY Forums but there is one thing i've notice and I'm probaly wrong but I haven't come across someone who has lost more than 120 to 130 pounds on the sleeve as far as females goes even at 2 to 3 years out. I also notice after about 9 months to a year the weight loss slows down alot. I would like to lose about 145 - 150 pounds so is it possible to lose that much???

At first i was leaning towards the RNY because you can lose the weight fast but the more i look into it I'm starting to say sleeve. RNY is scary and i know everyone is different and not everyone has complications but its seems well on YouTube that alot of people have some type of a complication and there always in the hospital and there intenstines get all twisted up all the pills they have to take and some go to the extreme and lose to much and look sick...and there's the Hair loss and thats something I know about I do lose hair but its not noticable I had thyroid cancer back in 2002 had a total thyroidectomy with lympth nodes and radiation so since then I've been losing hair side effect of the medication i have to take everyday so i don't want to go bald lol.

So that's my question is it possible to lose up to 145 to 150 pounds....sorry so long. Thanks

stats 40 yrs.

5'3'

CW 300

My sister and I both had the sleeve. She wants to lose 150 pounds too. The surgeon told us that it is totally doable. You will need to follow your high Protein low carb eating to do this however. She just had hers in June so she is early out but has lost 40 pounds already. You can lose all the weight you want to lose with the sleeve. If I were you I would weigh the pros and cons. I think the pros to sleeve are no vomiting, no malabsorption Vitamin issues, can eat a larger variety of foods, doesnt keep you from ever taking advil or nsaids and doesnt keep you from having a normal EGD if you should ever need one. With bypass, you get dumping syndrome, we dont. You could be malnurished because of the malabsorption issue, we are not usually malnurished. They vomit a lot because they only have a pouch, we dont. I have yet to vomit once and I am almost a year out. I am sure you can find a lot of other pros and cons to both and its a personal decision. I think and have been told by many surgeons and experienced people that the weight loss percentages are about the same for either, the sleeve has less complications to deal with, with the same benefits. JMHO.

Yes it is totally possible to lose that much with the sleeve. you are right that the losing slows the further out you get...but that is a good thing because you will have less loose skin and you will be doing it the healthy way. I chose the sleeve because I did not want to be rerouted and have dumping and spend more time recovering. As it was I was out of commission for 3 days..I don't do well when I have to sit around. I am a super slow loser but I also haven't pushed myself like I know I can and should. The weeks where I do more excercise and am super strict with my caloric intake I drop around 5 lbs. Everyone goes through stalls...and if that means that I won't have to have TONS of reconstructive surgery when I am done losing then I will take it. It may take me 2 years to lose it all...but I know that I will do it.

I think it is totally possible to do it, but it depends on the person and what they are willing to do. This is true whether you're talking about sleeve or RNY, I think. If a person is going to sabotage their efforts, they will do it. The type of WLS doesn't matter.

I am a year out and still have a ton of restriction. I have to basically eat all the time just to maintain my goal weight at 180#. My mother thinks I am too skinny. If I had another 50 pounds to lose, I have no doubt I could do it with the restriction I have, and I have no restrictions with what I can eat. Try that with RNY.

I would think as everyone else is saying... as long as you stick to good eating habbits and gets some exercise in it is absolutely doable. :)

It's definitely possible and people here have done it. There is no time limit on the effectiveness of the sleeve. Weight loss slows down the closer to goal you get, regardless of your starting weight. Those last fifty, and then twenty, pounds are sometimes a real challenge to take off!

Your sleeve is as big as it gets right around a year out. There is no reason not to continue to lose after that point if you want to do so. Nothing guarantees how long it will take to shed the weight for any of us. I "only" had 107 pounds to goal but it took me 17 months. How quickly you're going to lose is very personal. I have seen a few people take nearly two years to reach goal. The point is, it can be done if you are determined to make it happen. The sleeve will make loss so much easier than any diet you've ever done in your life, too. I never could have done a regular old diet, relying on willpower alone, for seventeen months. No way!

Best of luck,

~Cheri

Started preop diet on July 26, 2011. Had sleeve surgery Aug 23, 2011. Started at 370lbs on preop diet. Today I weigh 161lbs. I have lost 209lbs. I am living proof that it can be done.

WOW...I feel alot better knowing it can be done...thanks all for responding...

Started preop diet on July 26' date=' 2011. Had sleeve surgery Aug 23, 2011. Started at 370lbs on preop diet. Today I weigh 161lbs. I have lost 209lbs. I am living proof that it can be done.[/quote']

How did you do it, that is totally awesome! Kudos to you, you go girl! I am 336 and am praying to be around 160 I am up for the hard work which is ultimately what it is dependant upon. I would love to be able to have you as a sleeve buddy to communicate with you. I'm still pre op hoping to be sleeved next month.

Started preop diet on July 26' date=' 2011. Had sleeve surgery Aug 23, 2011. Started at 370lbs on preop diet. Today I weigh 161lbs. I have lost 209lbs. I am living proof that it can be done.[/quote']

That is awesome. My surgery is set for 7:30 tomorrow. I hope to lose 150 and it would be golden.