Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Out And Need Answers

Ok so I'm three days out and I'm always hungry ..... Wtf???

Also I started bleeding and I know it's not my time of the month.... Why?

it is a mind game. Protein is needed if you are hungry and Water. I spotted a little as well after my surgery and it was my time of month. I think it is part of the weight loss and hormone changes. Keep your head up and stay focused. Good luck

The hunger is head hunger and you are probably dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids. At your stage fluids should be providing all that you need.

The bleeding, I'm guessing, is from 1. hormonal changes your body is going through from the surgery or 2. the shock to the body from the surgery.

The nerves that stimulate hunger in your stomach have been cut and those remaining are still stunned from the surgery so it's not true hunger. I sympathize because I too swore it was true hunger at that stage too and even argued with my doc about it. he told me the above and of course was right. Drink plenty of fluids and as you progress you will be able to distinguish true hunger from head hunger.

Good luck to you on your journey!

The hunger or cramping feeling or tightening or wave feeling like grumbles in your stomach can actually be acid, gas, or it could also be healing pains. It feels the same. It's like your stomach is always grumbling as though it's hungry, but just like when you cut your finger and it throbs, so does your stomach. Drink some Water, make sure you take something like pepsid or whatever your doctor put you on, take a gas-x, get all your fluids in and as long as you are getting in your fluids and clear Proteins and you feel it, realize it's most likely your stomach healing. It definitely helps to realize that.

When I was hungry, it felt the same as when I forgot my pepsid, or when I was thirsty, heck when I was full it felt the same way and when I made sure all things were taken care of and I hopped into bed and it did it, I was almost comforted to know that feeling (that resembles hunger pains before the sleeve) is actually my tummy healing.

Perception is also a powerful tool.

Welcome to the loser's bench and I hope every single day is an easier and better day.

Such great advice, thanks a bunch as I am having the same issues. The other issue I am having, is when I swallow anything at all, it hurts going throught the esophagus and into the stomach. It feels like a huge air bubble going down, it HURTS! Not sure what that could be, anyone out there experience this feeling?

Ok so I'm three days out and I'm always hungry ..... Wtf???

Also I started bleeding and I know it's not my time of the month.... Why?

The bleeding is caused from the surgery throwing ur body for a loop. My Dr told me bring pads with me to the hospital. It should not be a heavy one.

Make sure you're getting enough Protein and from what I read the anasethia can cause a premature period and or even make you double up. Like us ladies don't have enough to deal with during Post-Op! Hang in there!

Such great advice, thanks a bunch as I am having the same issues. The other issue I am having, is when I swallow anything at all, it hurts going throught the esophagus and into the stomach. It feels like a huge air bubble going down, it HURTS! Not sure what that could be, anyone out there experience this feeling?

That's also normal and I had it pretty severely.

What are you drinking out of? Are you trying to drink out of a Water bottle? Glass or a med cup? Med cups are 1 ounce (30ml) cups that medicine usually comes in. Many Dr.'s or hospitals give you them to sip out of right after surgery and they often send you home with a stack of them. If you were given them, sip slowly out of them, try to aim 3 sips per one ounce. I did a lot of testing on how many sips (pour another ounce) sip sip sip (pour another ounce) sip sip sip to see how much I can get into me comfortable before feeling too full. The answer with the Water was 3. When I would try to get the 4th full one ounce cup in the next sip I was like blah...........

If you were not given the one ounce med cups, you can get a large supply of them for Jello shots at a party store in pretty colors or just use a shot glass. Make sure you measure how large the shot glass is and if it's a 2 ounce shot glass, know that should be like 6 sips.

Trust me when you sip out of something smaller you take in less air and you end up with less bubbles and that weird twisting between the esophagus and stomach pain. I had a complication with my surgery so I think I have a little more narrow opening than others.

Some people seem to do better with warmer or room temperature water. I normally did my med cups one with water and one with Bigelow decaff peppermint tea and Truvia. The tea went down better than the water and I couldn't handle cold water the first few days. The tea would get cold overnight in the hospital (I was in 5 days) and I would sip on it and I loved it cold too and I believe that's what helped me get down the water.

Remember sip not gulp. I can drink out of a water bottle now at 6 weeks out, but I tend to prefer drinking out a glass now, I seem to control the size of my drink and don't end up gulping and I definitely take in less air.

Best of luck to you all.

I had surgery 6 days ago. I would call my doctor about the bleeding and the pain. They should be able to help.