Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extra Skin......yuck

I am 1 week out and down 24lbs (including weight loss from 1 week pre op diet) and I can already see the extra saggy skin....with! I haven't been cleared t start working out yet, will I be able to get rid of it?

will I be able to get rid of sagging skin?

vickyt

i write like i talk causing longer posts - so if you have time.....

i've heard alot of people say with much excercise during your weight loss and after, you can help prevent some excess skin, tighten it up. younger you are the more resiliant you will be.

I naively thought i wouldn't have any sagging skin. Unfortunately my skin is sagging back of my thighs and rear end and face :(

I never wear a bathing suit (except in the shower) ;) so only one who will see me is DH.

I'm realizing now as i put smaller clothes on - i.e. blue jeans, regular pants, that I need to be zipped up over the the excess skin, and this must be tucked into the pants, which now would have to be a larger size cuz you have to pull the pants over the excess skin tummy.

This makes the pants unpreportional to your body. i'm really not sure i said this right, but you might understand what i am trying to say.

I know there are "things" you can order online, buy to pull in the tummy whatever - not really in favor of those for my own reasons. But i've heard they are wonderful for many, many others ;)

kathy

I can't wear all that confining stuff under my clothes either. I have excess skin on my lower stomach, upper thighs and upper arms. My poor boobs are deflated too.

I can live with all of it except the lower stomach or pannis or apron - whatever. I know exactly what you mean Kathy about having to stuff the skin in and then having pants with waists that are too big.

I cannot tolerate uncomfortable or confining clothes so I will never be able to wear one of those Spanx like body suits - ever.

Vicky, I do not know your age or how much weight you need to lose, but for most of us, the extra skin is a given. Working out will define the muscles underneath and help, but It won't solve it. Sorry to be gloomy about it, but it isn't so bad. Under clothes (even shorts and tanks) no one sees it.

I do plan to have a pannelectomy (did I spell that right?) and get the insurance to cover it, but that's a ways off. I think most surgeons want you to hold to your goal for 6 months before plastics.

It's all genetics, though they say exercise will really help. Time definitely does. I'm about two years out and the skin isn't as bad as it was, though I still plan on plastics.

I think one real indicator is how many stretch marks you have from gaining. Seriously, I have no real proof of anything but I think how abused your skin was before surgery really affects or at least demonstrates how much elasticity you have. I came through puberty with stretch marks EVERYWHERE even though I was a normal weight. Two pregnancies later (one of them was twins!) and I'm a freaking roadmap. And the loose skin on me was horrible around one year post op. Now it's still unpleasant but not nearly as bad. At first I felt I couldn't leave the house without Shapewear under my clothes. Now I can do that, but I won't if I'm wearing something formfitting. And the apron is still bad but it's now completely flat. The typical doctor recommend to wait one year post GOAL for plastics is a very good one, because there was a huge difference in my shape and loose skin in that second year. I look much better naked than I thought I would...but yeah, I still want that flat tummy and I miss being busty!

This is something you can't do very much to control. Doing muscle building and keeping your skin moist might help.

My advice is to focus on getting to a healthy weight without worrying about the skin. It may sound flippant or rude but I'd rather look awesome in my clothes and have loose skin nobody knows about than walk in a room and have everyone see how uncomfortable I am in my fat.

And I do love shapers - I wear a super duper waist cincher by Rago that I freaking love. It accentuates my hourglass figure and hides my loose skin like a champ. Spanx and flexees only make me hot and uncomfortable. I like old school hook-and-eye clasp cinchers or waspies, bustiers and even corsets far more than that stuff!

If you don't like that "compressed" feeling, try the Flexees or Maidenform camisole shapers. Make sure you measure and get the right size. They layer nicely and do smooth things a bit without being as uncomfortable and restrictive.

Best of luck,

~Cheri

Oh, like this?

http://www.herroom.com/rago-801-thong-back-waist-cincher.shtml

I like it, but wish it weren't a thong LOL! Otherwise, that looks like it would do the trick without a lot of material and over-coverage. I'm going to add that site to my favorites. Thanks! I don't mind the compression in a small area.

That one's not too bad! In my case, due to twins, my loose skin starts under my bra line and ends in an apron. So I wear this one:

http://www.herroom.com/rago-821-waist-nipper.shtml

I wear it precisely because of the expanse of material - it covers me from bra-line to pubic bone. It sucks it all in and accentuates the hourglass hiding under the skin. :) It was uncomfortable the first two or three times I wore it but I'm used to it now.

I LOVE that site, though, and if you ever have a question about sizing or anything their customer service is really helpful.

~Cheri