Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Say "you Can Do This."

Yesterday I started my liquid diet- 10 days before surgery July 16th --next Monday?!?!?

I've been on Optifast even before and I don't remember feeling so yucky. I guess in the past I thought I'd lose the weight on Optifast and not have half the organs in my body removed following it! :o

I did a nice mix of sugar free puddings, jellos, gr. yogurt, and Protein shakes... all within the rules of my place...3 shakes and 5 of the the mix. I KNOW I'm gonna get some applesauce and cream of wheat/rice today because that was allowed and I didn't have it in the house. I had chicken broth and at first it was like "mmmmm salty instead of sweet this is sooo good" but then came the headache.

And I didn't even get off coffee yet! (doing half today)

Before yesterday I was so pumped up with energy and excited about the surgery-- this diet makes me so unhappy I think Oh..so this is how it's going to be... But rationally I know it's not going to be like this because this will get easier and then once the operation I won't even want stuff right? right?

Just say right even if it's not true. I can't NOT do this. I won't cheat and I won't back out.

Help me with the emotional part. Now I'm starting to cry. Plus my husband went on a business trip this morning for a couple days and he's my rock and so good to me....

You can totally do this! You have a 10 day liquid pre-diet through Abington? Mine was only 5 days...

Keep telling yourself that this is a finite period of time, two weeks and then surgery and you won't feel hungry again. The yucky, head ache feelings go away after a few days. I think that's your body saying goodbye to the sugar and carbs. I know I was miserable, tired and my head killed me. For me, after the first three days, I no longer craved carbs or sugar and it did get much easier. Just try to stay busy with other things, drink lots of Water and keep reminding yourself that this is NOT FOREVER, just two weeks. Also, when you are tempted to cheat, remind yourself that you are doing this for a safe and healthy surgery. The other big motivator will be that your scale will start to go down! That helps A LOT when you are feeling deprived. Hang in there! YOU'VE GOT THIS!!

Oh, I just re-read...10 days, not two weeks! That's four less days! Yay for you! You can do it!!

littler- I didn't lose the whole 14lbs. based on my BMI so he likes it to be 10 instead of 5 when that happens.

Tracey- Thank you-- you said all the right things! :D It doesn't take much to convince me. :P Plus just looked and I did lose like 4 lbs. overnight. Really...? I forgot how that happens on a liquid diet.

Marty,

I made sure to write that down in my things to remember book about the liquid diet. I lost 15 lbs in two weeks. While I am hoping I never gain any weight back, I wrote down a message to myself, that if I should ever happen to start gaining an extra 10 lbs or so , to remember that the liquid diet works wonders!!

Oh my gosh, I am 12 days out from my surgery and because I have a BMI of 49.6 I have been on a three week pre-op diet. Let me just tell you that the first 4 days I was MISERABLE!!! I had my sleep study on night 3 of my pre-op diet and I had a panic attack and left sobbing. I have been so emotional and just feeling really sorry for myself.

The good news? I am now on day 9 of my pre-op diet and I feel sooooo much better. I have lost 8 pounds including a little cheating on the 4th of July. I really think the pre-op diet is a little overboard, but I am determined to make myself sucessful.

Absolutely hang in there, we can do this!!! It really isn't easy, it is much harder than I thought. I am learning alot about myself. It really is proving to be a mental battle. Just think how happy we'll be once we are post-surgery and sucessful? I keep telling myself "I can handle a few weeks of discomfort in order to be healthy for a lifetime!"

HANG IN THERE!!!

Yes, it's so emotional. I just called my husband twice to see if he made his train and then started looked online for news stories because he didn't call me back right away. (His phone was in the luggage). When he finally got me I was hysterical and he said "Oh honey, I told you I'd call when I got to N.Y." He felt so bad for me.

Tomorrow there are family members in town and I'm going to meet them all and they said well we'll tell everyone we're not having any food and eat before you come. I told them not to worry about me- that's ridiculous- but I am afraid I'll see a buffet of lunch meats etc. and literally start sobbing.

Honestly, when I read pre-op diet horror stories I thought well that won't be me since I loved Optifast and tend to do better with NO choices vs. WW type diets but... I guess feeling like it will be this way for so long is why I'm super emotional too.

But time passes, and then the grehlin hormone won't be there, and I will struggle to sip.... (haha I was supposed to be making myself feel better and then....).

You can do this! How's it going now?

This second? lol.

I'm good this second.

A friend's mother called who had RNY and she was so excited for me and totally into the part of it that has nothing to do with complications. She just went on and on about how amazing it feels once you're thin and how my whole life will change etc. (You know, um, those things I've not thought about while being wrapped up in what might happen?)

Anyway, it's certainly a roller coaster ride but it's going to happen so I'm getting ready for the best.

What's happening with you?

Doing well... Much better!

Dr. G?

Good luck to you. You can do this. The first four days are the hardest. Keep your positive attitude and keep your humor and keep on smiling. Write down the reasons you are doing this and read it when it gets hard. Go for a walk when it's hard and brush your teeth (I know it's a common theme with me) but seriously the shakes are gross on the teeth I think and it keeps me from being hungry.

Best of luck to you, you are already on the loser's bench by getting through this phase!

Dr. G?

No. Dr. B.

One more day left. You got this. I'll be cheering for you all the way. Can't wait to hear that you made it through successfully.

Sent from my iPad using VST