Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the final breaking point that made you decide to go through with this drastic change? WHat made you decide that "this is worth it"? I'm so scared, but I just don't think I can go on like this anymore. Like everyone here, I've tried a million things and I just need to do something. Is this it?

I'm going to one of the informational meetings on Tuesday to see what they have to say. I've been reading this site and I am so jealous of the progress everyone has made. It's just amazing.

My biggest enemy here is going to be me because #1 I can't make decisions, #2 - I am terrified... TERRIFIED of throwing up and from what I've read you just better be ready to throw up at anytime for any reason. Is it worth it? I don't know... thus problem #1.

Anyone?

I was sleeved on 4/4 and have never thrown up not everyone does so far everything has agreed with me

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

My surgery date is in one week and I totally relate. I am terrified but even more scared not to take this chance to succeed.

My breaking point was when I was close to the 300 lb mark. I realized I just couldn't do this by myself and I was very close to saying just screw it. I was just going to have to live with being fat and in pain. I didn't want to live my life like this because I have 2 children and am married to a wonderful man that loves me and just wants me to be happy. I am very glad I chose to do the surgery because I have lost 74 lbs and don't have any pain except for the minor aches I get after exercising. I feel wonderful.

I'm almost 5 mos post op. I've only thrown up twice. Both times, I consider it my fault. I ate re-heated meat that was to dry. I knew my sleeve couldn't handle it. Now, when I had the lapband, I threw up ALL the time. Dalily, multiple times a day. If you don't want to throw up - Don't get the lapband.

My turning point was because I just felt so fat and miserable all the time. I couldn't stand looking at myself in the mirror. I avoided social situations. I was missing out on life and I worried about my future based on my health. I'm a slow loser, so it's frustrating but, I don't regret it at all. Most of all, I'm so happy to be rid of the band. I wish I had gotten the sleeve to begin with. Good luck to you.

When I had some blood work done I found out I was borderline diabetic, my triglycerides were high, and most of my Vitamin levels were low. A short while later, my dad found out he had type 2 diabetes (he's over 300lbs) and my mother had fibroids brought on my the fact that she is overweight. I felt like I was looking into my future.

I feel like I saved my life by getting this surgery. No regrets; none at all.

I had the same "breaking point" as aliandrew. I am tired of missing out on so much!

Hey shellbell. I haven't had my surgery yet but I also have a very strong fear of throwing up. I have managed to not throw up for 20 years and don't look forward to breaking that streak. I'm still willing to go through the surgery because I'm really tired of being heavy and uncomfortable everyday of my life. A chance of a minor inconvenience is worth a lifetime of confidence and happiness.

From reading the site doesn't seem like a lot of people throw up and most of it is right after surgery

Good luck!

yeah, I'm about 2 slices of pizza away from 300lbs. I am missing out on so much. Then when I do something I feel terrible the whole time. I'm 34... no husband or kids like so many say they have the support from. I want all that one day.

. I have managed to not throw up for 20 years and don't look forward to breaking that streak.

milkD that's funny

You won't throw up if you listen to your stomach voice...when the first sign of fullness happens stop eating...I haven't thrown up once...1 month out !

I'm just like you! I have been looking into this for a long time and I really believe it's what I need to do, but at the same time I am terrified of having this surgery. I keep thinking maybe I should try one more time to do it myself or maybe I haven't tried hard enough. I think it's the permanency of it that is so scary and that there is technically nothing wrong with my stomach and they're gonna cut it out of me, so extreme. I just keep praying that God will take care of me, calm my nerves, etc if this surgery is meant to be.

I managed to lose 30 pounds from September to December of last year. I gained 5 pounds back over the holidays. My breaking point came in January when I gained 5 more pounds. I wasn't going to spend another year of my life trapped in the yo-yo cycle and I started looking into surgical options.

My breaking point was 10 years ago. While I have always battled my weight...my food addiction had taken over my life...I was working 65 hour work weeks in a demanding/stressful career, flying constantly, working through jet lag and time zone issues. My work/life balance was non existent.

I ate on the run or ordering room service and raiding the mini-bar for high carb, high fat, high sugar foods. My Water intake was almost non-existent, I drank diet coke and coffee all day, everyday.

On the outside I was a happy, bubbly, competent, highly successful career woman, with supportive parents, a large group of friends. On the inside I was slowly killing myself, as I ate my way to over 300 pounds.

I bullied myself constantly with negative self talk, that perpetuated the cycle and in turn I began to hate myself.

It wasn't just the way I looked, it was the way I felt. My health issues increased, my energy level hit rock bottom and I had to admit that I needed medical help to get my life back.

I had tried all of the standard weight loss medications and diet plans, which always worked short term for a period of time, until the weight crept back up.

I knew that I needed to have a heart to heart talk with myself and get to a place of understanding to recognize that I am not a failure for having issues with food and being overweight.

I gathered up all of the strength I could find and I got a referral to a therapist to work on the inside, so I could understand why I was self-medicating with food...as I began to work on the inside, I found someone who deserved to feel good, to live the life that I had always dreamed of.

So 8 years ago, I got the Lap Band, and lost almost 140 pounds. I kept 110 pounds off since 2004.

Due to complications, with severe acid reflux, ulcers, and band slippage, I just had the band removed and the revision to the VSG.

I am feeling great. I am down 36 pounds and love my sleeve.

What I can say is that, there is no shame in admitting that you need help to lead a healthier more fulfilling life. It takes courage to admit to ourselves that we can not do this on our own. But each of us makes choices that are right for us individually.

Know that whatever's choice you make it will be the right choice for you.

We all deserve to wake up each day with energy, optimism and an attitude that says, I feel good about the person I am on the inside and one day I will feel just as good about the person I am on the outside.

Know that you are not alone. In your darkest moments, when you feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders and you feel desperate and scared, there are many of us, who feel just like you and are coming out the other side, stronger, more empowered and filled with pride at what we have accomplished so far and what we will accomplish in the future.

Weight Loss Surgery may be judged by those who don't fully understand. However this forum is a safe place, a community of courageous, like minded people, who have taken a brave step forward to battle their own demons and take charge of their lives for their own health and happiness.

Obesity is not a failure of mankind, it is a symptom of the world we live in and we can overcome the challenge with determination and self-forgiveness.

For me, my breaking point was really my starting point, to self-discovery and understanding.

I am a work in progress, but I am proud of my work and my progress :0)

Please excuse the typos! I am just learning how to use my new iPad. yikes! :0)

I was worried about the permanency of it also. It really hasn't been that bad. My stomach is smaller, but I can still eat what I want in moderation. I can only fit in about 3-4 oz, but I am satisfied. I was really scared up to and the day of surgery, but everything turned out great. I have thrown up on occasion. A few times some things have not agreed with me. It only happens sometimes. I can't seem to drink milk anymore. My stomach doesn't like it anymore. I can't tolerate things that are extremely sweet. If I take more bites than my stomach will allow, then I will feel sick. I don't do that very often.