Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dining Out Depression

Hi friends,

I was sleeved May 24 and am down 20 lbs. I feel great but am still adjusting to this new life. I would like to know if I will ever be able to go out to eat without feeling like such a freak. My boyfriend and I would sometimes enjoy great meals out together, especially on vacation, and now I am worried that those times are over and how it will affect us. I get that I won't be enjoying the same cocktails, bread, appetizer and meal all at once like before, along with the horrible stuffed feeling afterward, but what will a normal meal out look like after I'm in the maintenance phase? We love steakhouses and Mexican food. Light at the end of the tunnel please! Just want to feel normal, not fat normal, healthy normal.

LindaF

It gets better. Believe me.

I very much enjoy going out to eat with my family. I usually just ask for a "to go" box at the same time I order my food. When the food arrives, I put a lot of it (ok, most of it!) in the to-go box and eat the sleeve-sized portion on my plate. That way it doesn't look like I'm not eating (if you are self-conscous about that) because your plate is empty when the waiter comes around with the bill. :) Also, having the small portion on your plate ensure you won't overeat and get a sleeve-ache.

It takes time to adjust to the new way of doing things. You'll find little tricks that make you feel comfortable and confident when eating out at resturants. The great thing about the sleeve is that once you are fully healed, you can really eat anything with fear of dumping or food getting "stuck" (which happens with RNY and lap-band patients). I think most sleevers have a it a bit easier at resturants than folks with the RNY or bands.

You'll feel healthy normal soon... don't worry. Just be patient with yourself and you will find your own way.

What's the average 'heal' time? I was sleeved on June 7th and I get embarrassing gurgles after I eat. I am hoping this won't be a forever thing?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using VST

Thanks Pennie! That makes me feel a lot better. So how much are you able to eat in one sitting and how long ago was your surgery? If I order a filet mignon and vegetables, how much should I be able to eat if I'm about 6 mos- 1 year out? Right now, one month out, a couple of bites would fill me.

When I go out for dinner with my husband, we order everything "to share" one starter, one main and sometimes one dessert ( which he finishes all by himself). That way, no one can tell that I hardly eat anything.

Thanks Pennie! That makes me feel a lot better. So how much are you able to eat in one sitting and how long ago was your surgery? If I order a filet mignon and vegetables' date=' how much should I be able to eat if I'm about 6 mos- 1 year out? Right now, one month out, a couple of bites would fill me.[/quote']

I am 6 months out. I eat about 2 oz of meat. Then between a tsp-tsb of veg and a teaspoon of potatoes. If I do salad first I can do about 1/4 of a salad if dinner is timed right. Sometimes I eat too much salad and onlyhave room for Protein.

Thanks for all the info!

I have plans to take a cooler bag w/me w/containers in it and ice pack so that when we go out, I can put stuff in my containers to come home. A lot of places where I live use the styrofoam stuff and we have a hard time getting rid of it. AND if I'm putting stuff away when my plate comes, the food is still really hot and it melts the styrofoam. That can't be good!!!

I'm not sleeved yet but my wife never eats all her meals when we eat out (shes a 105lbs soaking wet and cant gain weight) so she has already made the statement we would just share meals. Alot of places offer combo plates if we both don't want the same thing.

i am adjusting to this new life.

Linda

congrats on losing 20lbs - way to go

my DH and i went out to eat all the time. , not anymore :mellow:

the stock in many of these restaurant has gone downhill since we are no longer patrons ;)

we went out to eat for the 1rst time since WLS. 6+ month P.O to(Red Loster, umm umm good) I was kindof scared, being around all those people eating, dealing with me getting a small portion. ^_^

Like Pennie said,, ask for a take out container to be given to you exactly at the same time your meal is brought..

I l left the portion i was allowed to eat in on my plate, and the rest was immediately put away.

I ordered an appetizer that gave you 3 choices what to eat. I chose scallops, clams, and mozzarela sticks. I don't like mozzarela sticks, i ordered on purpose to give to my DH. pretty smart, right ;)

Don't concentrate on what you can't or should not drink /eat, (strawberry daquari) msp

think about the great stuff you can drink, Water ie. -or a treat like an iced tea w/ lemon :lol:

go out and have fun/enjoy yourself :)

ummm ummm good

kathy

My DH and I go out to eat a lot, and our favorite places are Tex-Mex and Mediterranean/Greek. Because I can't each much at once, we always order meals "to share," and we have never had any raised eyebrows at all. I think restaurant portions have gotten so big that it's not uncommon for people to share, and the restaurants we go to just bring an extra plate. I serve myself off the plate, and then my husband eats the rest (he's also a sleever, but he can eat WAY more than I can). It works perfectly--sometimes we still have leftover food, which we bring home, but that's usually only if we order with the intent of bringing home leftovers.

You'll learn what travels/keeps well, and you'll quickly learn how to visually size up the amount of food to put on your plate. It's always better to undereat (the rest usually will keep beautifully) so that you can truly enjoy your food and the experience and not worry about that "one bite too much" horrid feeling. We actually love eating out--we certainly spend a lot less money on restaurant food now!

I have trouble going out to resturants. I tend to want to eat what is on my plate. And I am embarrassed to ask someone to share a meal with me. I'll have to try ordering a to go box at the same time I order my meal. I am at 20 weeks out and I eat comfortably about 4 ounces of food. If I eat a salad Ifind I don't get enough Protein. I pretty much stick to a small list of acceptable foods that I wrote up. Seems to be working good for me.

Eating out post-op can be pretty easy- just make the right choices.

I was PETRIFIED about going out to eat post-op.... and its part of my job to go out with clients, so its not an option to eat at home. I eat out 5-6 times a week.

But here is the cool thing.... once you know what you CAN and ENJOY eating post-op just pick the resturants around those items. (If your favorite place is Chillis or Applebees or something.... then this strategy wont really work for you). I focus on QUALITY over VALUE.... since you only eat a bit, it may as well be a good bit!

When I go out I eat as much as I need to (and is my limit) and take SERIOUSLY tiny bites so my timing is the same as everyone elses. I have NEVER had someone comment on the lack of, speed of consumpsion or the lack of food I order.

Eating just a bit may make you feel self concious, but if you have confidence and can be strong- no one will question your eating. And if they do, have a rebuttal for them- "no, im fine with just that, thanks" or "Ive got an early dinner with my husband" or whatever.

If you are nervous about a slip-up or ordering/eating things you shouldnt- dont go to those places until you can make a sensible decision.

Initially, I thought going out to restaurants was just a waste of money. Since then I have learned to it is okay to not clean my plate and I tend to stick to the appetizer/soup/a la carte section of the menu. If hubby orders something that I know I can tolerate eating then we will share that. I ask the waiter to bring me a to go container if I order on my own and a second smaller plate if we are sharing.

Don't let the sleeve be a burden to you but instead learn to work with it. It gets easier with time! And congratulations on your weight loss so far!