Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Liquids Is Too Much?

I had my sleeve done a week ago monday and still recuperating. I don't seem to have any problems getting my liquids down like I have heard so many express having problems with. I spend probably 30-45 minutes taking in my shakes which is about 6-8 oz. 2-3 x's a day plus my broth and sip on my crystal light all day and take in about 54 oz's thru out the day. I've heard so many people talk about how hard it was to get their liquids down and getting their Protein in which has definantly not been a problem for me with the shakes I take. I don't know what is too much or if I am doing any harm to my new stomach. Will it be different once I start eating foods, will I get the full sensation? What was your experience?

If you're getting that in and not having trouble, that's great. Trust me, it will be very different once you start eating solid foods. You'll certainly notice that you can't eat much at all - a few bites and you'll be full. liquids sail right through, but solids will bulk up on you.

So far my experience is pretty good. I was sleeved June 19, and am still on Clear Liquids until Wednesday. I have a rather pleasant "Pressure" is the best way for me to say it in my pouch when I have enough liquids in. It's not an uncomfortable "too full" feeling at all. Now I can tell you that when I take too big a sip, I do get some air in and that usually results in a good burp for me.

I am taking in right now about 48 to 50 ounces a day of liquids without any issue whatsoever. Just to break that down, I'm usually taking in around 6 to 8 ounces at a time during the times I drink and that is over a period of maybe 10 minutes at most.

I'm having no issues with Protein (drinking IsoPure) and am drinking a variety of Clear Liquids. (I hate boredom)

Eric

I had my sleeve done a week ago monday and still recuperating. I don't seem to have any problems getting my liquids down like I have heard so many express having problems with. I spend probably 30-45 minutes taking in my shakes which is about 6-8 oz. 2-3 x's a day plus my broth and sip on my crystal light all day and take in about 54 oz's thru out the day. I've heard so many people talk about how hard it was to get their liquids down and getting their Protein in which has definantly not been a problem for me with the shakes I take. I don't know what is too much or if I am doing any harm to my new stomach. Will it be different once I start eating foods, will I get the full sensation? What was your experience?

How do you feel, hunger wise? Are you feeling hungry all the time, or are your liquids satisfying you?

I'd say you're doing great. Perhaps your sleeve is healing faster than others and has less residual swelling! Count that as a big plus. :) I could handle liquids pretty well post-op, but definitely felt the restriction as soon as I was on mushies. Half a scrambled egg filled me to the brim. :)

Good luck!

I didn't have any problems with liquids, either. The doctor threatened me with going to the hospital for an IV if I didn't get the required 64 oz of fluids a day, so I did it.

Hi ,

I am always concerned about the same issue I am 14 weeks in and wonder still the same. I will say that it sounds like your doing great. In my first weeks I could only get one shake in and maybe 10oz of Water. Hang in there when in doubt ask your doctor. blessings on your journey! Karatemom

I think it's important to keep in mind that not all sleeves were created equal, in that they will not all be the same size on every single person. Having said that, I had the same thing happening to me during my liquid stage post-op and I was beginning to wonder if I had done something to my sleeve. Enter, the mushy stage .... and I'm full. Keep in mind, where some people may get 1 oz. in, you may get 2 oz. in. My example, someone posted above they can only get a few bites of a scrambled egg in, but I can do 2 oz. of scrambled eggs and 1/4 cup of corned beef hash for Breakfast and I am 12 days post-op. Do what feels right for you - don't worry, you are on the right track. :)

I don't know what is too much liquid?

I don't think there is such a thing as "too much liquid."

Immediately after surgery you should be sipping on your liqid carefully.- because of your healing stomach? if you have no problems w/drinking, go ahead, drink as much as you can

later, you can have as many liquids as you can endure, the more the better. 64 oz daily is the goal daily,(i can't always drink that much.

i've heard people drink a gallon of liquids. (they are the ones that exercise alot) EGADS

continued success

I'll drink to that, Water of course

good wishes

kathy :)

Thank you for posting this! I am one week out and I can drink a lot of Water without realizing that I am guzzlingy water.

i can drink a heap too, even in hospital i was drinking OJ and apple juice like crazy

I think now I drink for boredom instead of eating! score!

Thanks for all the replies! I have waited so long to have this done and don't want to screw up now. I am starting to feel better day by day and right now only experience "head hunger" not physical hunger which is a demon that I will just learn to overcome.

Thanks for this post! I am 5 days post op and can drink Water with no problems and I am feeling hungry. This thread made me feel much better, like I didn't just have a major operation for nothing. Please keep good thoughts for me!

@ann c, I had mine on the 21st and am the same way, I have been waiting for someone else to say this and not make me feel crazy. I was told the hunger was probably acid but if I take an antacid it does not stop. I drink Water without sipping, just regular with no problems. I was beginning to wonder if I was broken. You have made me feel much better.

Today has been a tough day! I have been really questioning...did I do the right thing? And hearing that you are having some of the same symptoms makes me feel ENORMOUSLY better. I took a Zantac 150 mg this am, then my previously prescribed protonix. I'm going to take another Zantac before bed. I'm supposed to see the doc on Thursday but if these meds don't work better tomorrow, I'm going to call on Monday.