Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I had my surgery on 8/23/06. My follow up is scheduled for 9/26/06. My question is our family is going to a baseball game on 9/16/06 on a band trip. I know it is a few days shy of my solid foods phase but do you think that it would be ok to have at least half a hot dog if I chew really good when we go to the baseball game?

Dieta

I can't touch them anymore. Even if I try chewing really well, I'll PB. Hot dogs is one of my new no no's. Besides the fact that I can no longer tollerate bread. So if you try it, be careful. Although they really didn't bother me until I had more restriction.

Ask your Dr.

I sometimes can do hot dogs with bread sometime w/ out bread.

Either way be careful! I've heard of hot dogs and recently blueberries getting stuck! Chew chew chew.

Ask your Dr or nurse...they can only say yes or no :)

Nana~

Ask your doc, but I would say NO. Even though you may be into solid foods, you are supposed to move into them GRADUALLY. A hot dog, would be pretty far down the list.

Follow your doc's instructions.

Heck-NO! I wouldnt touch a hotdog 3 weeks post op.

Like the others, Ive tried weiners a few times since banding and every time they stayed in my pouch - wouldnt go through the stoma, and ended up pbing. Ive even peeled the skin off, but nope! no luck. sorry.

I ate a hotdog the other day of course it was not with the bread and it was great the only thing that hasn't got stuck for days.......

I can do hotdogs with all the fixings and with the roll. But usually I try to peel off the skin first, as the skin seems to be the problem for people. I don't think I could give up hot dogs entirely...

At 3 weeks out I was on solids and one of the first things I had was a hotdog on a bun. I had absolutely no trouble with it, but perhaps you would like to try this experiment yourself before you are with a group of people. I'm sure people have different reactions. Good luck to you.

I don't think it is a matter of whether or not a bandster can have a hot dog...

It is a matter of it only being 3 weeks post-op and the docs says she is still to be on mushies, and even if just starting solids, not the best choice for the "first" solid food, as one SHOULD move into solids GRADUALLY.

I think that was the point.

I'm sure many bandsters can eat a hot dog.

My dr. moves to solids very quickly...only a few days on liquids and a week on mushies and onto solids. It may not be for everyone, and I would definitely check with my dr. before doing anything. Your program could be much different.

BTW I had a lite hotdog on a wheat bun....and it wasn't the very first thing I had, but it wasn't too far down the road.

I wish you luck, but above all your dr. should be your guide on this one.

I have had a very bad experience with hot dogs. HORRIBLE! The skin is like rubber. Rubber & your esphoagus don't get along very well. After 3 days of absolute hell I had to be completely unfilled. My pouch was swollen & I had to be on liquids for a while.

If you absolutely HAVE to eat the hot dog, peel off the skin first. :)

The question gets to how comfortable are you eating out? I was nervous the first times I ate out. I chose easy to eat foods rather than anything that may be "difficult". I do eat hot dogs, but I cut them up to eraser size. No bread. I love them, but I'm real careful with them. Maybe you should chose something that would be easier to eat so early. Even nachos would be easier as you could eat the cheese and Beans off of the chip. Or how about chilli. I would just be really careful. Why push it and ruin your trip?

:) I dont eat hot dogs, but i do eat corn dogs ! im afraid of the bread getting stuck ,not the meat ! i eat the whole corn dog its made from corn meal, but i would ask my Doctor, good luck ...virginia