Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water Intake.

I am a very heavy Water drinker daily, no joke. Almost my whole life even when at a correct weight I would drink a minimum of a gallon a day. Most times even more per day. I asked my Doc about fluids after surgery and said no problem.

So my question is after reading about others sipping small amounts at a time. Will I cut way back on this habit or would issues arise? It sounds funny but all my life my daily Water intake has been much more than most.

ForMyFamily - I'm the same way. I used to say I was a water-aholic. All post-op results are different for people, but for me it actually changed the way that Water TASTES. Seriously. It's like it leave an aftertaste and it doesn't matter if it is tap, filtered, purchased, etc. Water tastes funny so I don't reach for it like I used to. I'm now one of those people that has to remind myself to drink water. Also the sheer quantity. I was such water guzzler. I could just tip up a bottle and down 16-20ounces. Now I have to sip and I hate it. It's the only think that causes me pain (very short-lived).

I really don't think it's like this for everyone - this is just my experience and probably the only thing I really miss :(

Well your sleeve will have limited capacity, so that alone will have you cut down on the amount you drink.

I have never liked to drink Water per se. I had to make myself and I was a guzzler. I would take big drinks, like six or seven big swallows at a time until I got it drank or about 10 ounces at a time. I cannot do that anymore. I had to start with very small sips after surgery or I got a tightness in my chest. I am 9.5 months out and the most I can do is about 6 regular swallows at a time and then wait a few minutes and i can do that again. So if you are a guzler, you can drink 5 or 6 swallows at a time eventually but that is my max right now.

I am a very heavy Water drinker daily

dear 2 fisted drinker ;)

boy how i envy you. I sometimes have problems getting in my 64 oz. <_<

Post surgery I don't think theres any problem drinking too much Water. You might have to drink slowly and carefully, but after surgery your supposed to get as many fluids in as possible.

After a while, you can slowly drink and drink. I know people on the board drink 1 gallon + , i don't know how they do it, but thats what i heard. Wait for more comments to follow.

best

kathy

I am a very heavy Water drinker daily' date=' no joke. Almost my whole life even when at a correct weight I would drink a minimum of a gallon a day. Most times even more per day. I asked my Doc about fluids after surgery and said no problem.

So my question is after reading about others sipping small amounts at a time. Will I cut way back on this habit or would issues arise? It sounds funny but all my life my daily Water intake has been much more than most.[/quote']

I too have been a heavy water drinker pre-op and after being sleeved on 4/28 I have had a harder time getting in my water. A week post op I tried a straw to see if it gave me gas pains. I am ok using a straw personally. And for me I needed to try I was so dehydrated. I still am working on getting in my 64 ounces daily and I have to remember to sip sip all day. I was a chugger.

I'm at 3 weeks post op and I love Water. I just can't drink it right now cause all I do is takes sips and it frustrates me. But yes our stomach is much smaller and we don't want to strech out our new stomach. They told me we can strech it out by drinking while having your meal.

They told me we can strech it out by drinking while having your meal.

You don't stretch your stomach by drinking while having your meal. Remember though, don't drink for 30-45 minutes after you eat.

I was told the reason for not drinking H20 with meals, is that you will flush down the Protein, so its like not having any Protein at all - we need to have and keep down all the protein we take in.

best

kathy

I'm a HEAVY Water drinker (my mom actually said my one gallon a day requirement would be me cutting back) I just had my surgery Monday 5/21 and I have found myself overly thirsty, but it works out ok. Just take a little at a time. I mostly ate ice chips (they lasted longer) it was great

You don't stretch your stomach by drinking while having your meal.

best

kathy

me agaiin, what i meant to say is never, never ever drink with your meals.

If you do drink w/ meals this will NOT stretch out your stomach - but it is wrong to do.

don't drink w/meals cuz that will flush out the important Protein you have just eaten. You need to wait 30-45 minutes after you eat before you drink again. Thats all ^_^

kathy

now, at 8 weeks out I can say from experience that I can take "gulps" of liquids now and be OK.

I used to be able to down a whole bottle of Water in less than 30 seconds- now I have to take 3 meduium gulps and take a few minutes. I used to be a big drinker (probably pre-diabetes!) but now since I sip-sip-sip all darn day, I dont find myself super thirsty.

On those hot days when i work in the garden or play soccer, its nice to still be able to gulp though! My guess is that you will probably be able to gulp a bit after a few weeks post-op.