Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery With A Side Of Nervous

Greetings world! Long time lurker, first time poster - go me. I figured it was time to get in on in and do the support thing early to prepare, so here I am!

I got the call about an hour ago that I officially, really, truly, no-foolin, have a real surgery date. I'm going in on June 13th with Dr. Hart (Atlanta Bariatric Center / Emory Hospital Johns Creek).

I was originally going to go band back in January but backed out of it to give it more thought (a lot more thought) and landed on the idea the sleeve would be better for me. And now, here we go. Whew ... yikes ... what have I got myself into?! I'm scared, nervous, excited, thrilled, and a little nauseous at what I've got myself into and I know I have to get my big girl undies on and face it head on but wow, now that I have a date I'm a bit scared of having a real date. With real people. With real people who really are going to cut into me. Yeah, I'm tripped a bit, but very excited.

I think what I'm most scared of (other than the whole notion of being put under), is that I can't for the life of me visualize success. Is that weird? I don't know. I can't picture myself thinner - I can't picture myself doing athletic type activities - I can't picture myself literally as a smaller person, but I know it's going to happen.

I start my 2 week liquid diet on Friday (joy, just in time to miss Memorial Day bbq.) Does it count as a liquid if I drink a bottle of BBQ Sauce? :)

I have my doctor in Orlando. Dr. Jawad and so far I read he is the best in FL and doesnt require the2 week pre diet bc he knows the patients don't do it, they actually do the opposite before surgery so what's the point. Lol but good luck to you. I am being patient on approval process and have all the scary feelings u have

I feel exactly the same, Duranfan!!! You took the words right out of my mouth! I told a friend that now that I have a real date, I'm real scared! LOL And I cannot envision myself thin either. Every once in a while I think of backing out but then I realize why I'm doing this and I'm good with it. All the best!!

Stop thinking negatives & go with the positives. Your body, mind & soul need you. Positive=better vibes. You've come this far down your chosen path & know in your heart that all will be well.

You are in my prayers. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

I think its normal to feel scared and feel like backing out. I have had the same feelings, my surgery date is June 4th. But, when I think that I have had a BMI of 40 for the past 5 years what in the world makes me think I could lose it and keep it off without the surgery.. When I think like that I become more resolved to make it through this. I would love to see our posts a year from now!

Does it count as a liquid if I drink a bottle of BBQ Sauce? :)

Too funny girlfriend

I'm so glad you decided against the lapband. I have heard more and more doctors aren't even performing the lapband any more, (is that true) just too many problems

the revision to sleeve from lapband is popular. That shows the lapband is going out the window soon, IMO.

Holy Moly, June 8th is a couple of weeks away - i understand you are nervous, we all were. Don't worry about being put to sleep, just take a short nap, and you'll be back in your room in no time.

Good wishes on your surgery

Good luck

kathy

Congrats on making a wonderful decision for yourself! Nerves are normal, especially the closer you get to surgery. Just breathe deep, do what you can about the things that are worrying you and move forward. There are no guarantees in life, but every sleever loses a significant amount of weight. Those who work at it make goal. And, this is a lifetime tool, so you can go as fast or as slow as you like.

Good luck on your journey!! :)

@likasulema, I think it's OK to drink that bottle of BBQ Sauce as long as it has no sugar, no calories, no fat. Now make a bottle of BBQ sauce like that and you'd be rich

:P

I also have an uncontrollable love of BBQ Sauce There's a Walden Farms BBQ that is no calorie. I'm leery of fake foods tho. U could get the taste of BBQ sauce using one of the low cal, low carb sauces that are posted. Most are just vinegar, liquid smoke, spices.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches