Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been sleeved by Dr. Ortiz? My surgery is scheduled for August 1. Im going to him because his facility is a center of excellence. I was going to ho with dr. Aceves originally but his office does not call or email back. I dint like that.

Also, if you have surgery in mexico, when you go back to the states to have your labs done, etc, will your insurance cover it? Or if i have complications will they treat me? Should I tell my PCP? She would not refer me here in the US because my bMI is 38. Her and my therapist are against mexico. But i want to be able to tell some kind of health professional you knw? In case theres an emergent issue.

Hi Nala - I'm due to have my sleeve performed by Dr Ortiz on November 19. I too chose his facility because it was a center of excellence! He's not as popular as a few of the others I've seen on here, but I'm comfortable with my decision.

I did tell my PCP about my surgery in Mexico and he was very supportive, so he will be ordering my labs like he is used to when I return home. So I do recommend that you have that conversation and get your PCP's support! Please keep in touch so I know how you're doing and what your experience was like...much success to you!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz about a month ago. I was amazed at how great I felt and have not had any reason to contact my physician. I am due for my annual physical, but have been putting it off so I can lose as many pounds as possible before I step on that scale!

I am scheduled for 5/28 ( next Monday). I chose Dr. Ortiz cause a friend had her revision surgery ( from band to sleeve) w/ him @ OCC 6 mo. ago. She was VERY pleased w/ surgeon, staff, facility and had no complications. She will be going with me when I go. BTW -- SHE LOOKS AWESOME!

MY PCP is aware I am going to MX. She did say she would do labs / normal health care but wouldn't treat anything to do with the surgery.

I have not told my boss. I may send him an email prior just to advise I am having elective surgery while out on PTO (vacation).

I did not have Dr Ortiz, I had Dr Kelly.

But thought I would weigh in on the post-op care. Make sure your PCP is on board with doing your bloodwork afterwards for you. I spoke to my PCP & she blatantly refused to treat me if I went to Mexico! So I ended up having to change PCPs & very glad now I did. I like my new Dr a lot.

She will be doing all my bloodwork & will check me over at the same time.

I did not have Dr Ortiz' date=' I had Dr Kelly.

But thought I would weigh in on the post-op care. Make sure your PCP is on board with doing your bloodwork afterwards for you. I spoke to my PCP & she blatantly refused to treat me if I went to Mexico! So I ended up having to change PCPs & very glad now I did. I like my new Dr a lot.

She will be doing all my bloodwork & will check me over at the same time.[/quote']

So my kaiser PCP is really against my going to mexico but she said "i really do not want you to go to mexico. Yes, i will order your labs post surgery and see if your incision is infected but if it is you will need to have our surgeons take a look at it. You must have your surgeon monitor you post op! I had a patient that went to mexico and she became septic."

Omg... I was kinda annoyed that shes still not supporting me. And altho im happy that shell do my labs, i kinda dont want to see her for my incisions because i dont want her to rain on my parade butttt if the needs arises that i do need medical attention i really trust her and ive been with her for about 9 years now. If i get a new PCP shell find out and its kinda like i dont want to hurt her feelings:( because i know shes just trying to protect me, as uninformed about Dr. Ortiz that she is. The sentiment is still kinda nice.

I am having my Revision surgery with Dr. Ortiz in September. I had my LapBand with him in August 2007 and my Mom went with me... she was very impressed with the Clinic and Dr. Ortiz. He is a extremely excellent surgeon and that is why I am going back to him. He has had zero leaks with his sleeve surgery and has implemented some new procedures that other surgeons are following. He was also named in Newsweek Magazine as one of the Top 15 Bariatric Surgeons in America.... and he is a cutie!

Good luck!

I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz April 16th and I had not one single issue! I feel FABULOUS!!! You have selected an incredible surgeon!!! He really is the best as what he does and has received so many accolades and honors. The entire experience was wonderful! If you have questions or want to know specifics please reach out to me. I'll be more than happy to share my story!

All the best!

I was sleeved there in March and you do your own follow up. All my labs are covered by my insurance but I am going to just talk to my OBGYN OR my general PCP and talk to them about having them ordered for me to get them done. They are general labs that are done most the time anyways. The list is CBC, Electrolytes, Glucose, Iron/Ferritin, Vitamin B12, Liver function, Lipid Profile, Vitamin D, and TSH. I don't know if you could call him and have him put orders in someplace but maybe. I was also told it was required to have a endoscopy at the 6 month mark but then when my new bariatric local Dr questioned why, Dr. Ortiz's office said it wasn't required.

Omg! Thanks for sharing your experiences the doc:) i now feel extremely more confident that i got the right man for the job! Im just waiting for the date to come... Its taking soooooo long!

Just curious...does anyone know how many gastric sleeves Dr Ortiz has performed? I heard he was fairly new to performing sleeves, but with his credentials I don't know how accurate that information is...again, just curious...

Not true at all!! I asked Dr. Ortiz that question and he didn't know the exact number but said it was well over 1000. He's performed over 9000 Bariatric surgeries and is a leader when it comes to new techniques,etc... His practice primarily does sleeve and plication surgeries as well as band to sleeve/plication revisions.

Another note... I praise Dr. Ortiz when it comes to how he cut me (my incisions). I've read horror stories on the boards about other surgeons and how they felt like they were butchered etc.. Having to go back and get staples and stitches removed etc.... I have 3 VERY SMALL incisions.. maybe 1/2 inch each and they were stitched on the inside and surgi-glued shut on the outside. They were completely healed in about 7-10 days and are barely noticeable. A far cry from what I have heard others mention..... His skills are absolutely exceptional!!!

Barrb thanks so much for that information! Hearing you say that makes me believe more so than ever that I made the right choice! November cannot come soon enough! By the way, did you have the opportunity to speak with Dr Ortiz before your surgery? Excluding anytime you were in the hospital?

Thanks for all of this info....I have been reading about Dr. Ortiz all day, so I am glad to have found this thread!

Oh absolutely... I actually requested a conference call with him about 3 weeks prior ro my surgery. My mother is a retired nurse and she had some questions and he was more than happy to get on a call and answer whatever questions she had. I also met with him prior to my surgery. He came in and gave both my mother and I a hug and asked us if we have any questions or concerns. He is just wonderful! I can't say enough about him. I also have his personal cell phone number and I called him with a question about 2 days after my surgery. I was in the hotel and it was about 9pm at night and he answered right away. At the end of the call he said to "give ur mama a kiss for me"..... I just adore him!! You are making a great choice!!!