Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Immediately After Surgery

Can anyone tell me how i will feel once I come out of surgery. Will I be in alot of pain, is it unbearable. I have a pretty high tolerence for pain.....still a little nervous.

I was never in much pain. On the 1-10 scale, I think I only got to a 5 - and that was just sore muscle type pain. My biggest complaint was the way they had me in the bed was really hurting my back, but that had nothing to do with surgery.

You can expect discomfort. If you are in pain, they can give you meds for that. Good luck!

I did not have much pain but we are all different and tolerate pain different. What may be less pain for me may feel like a lot of pain to someone else.

I little sore on the left side but not bad at all.

Krenee,

I had some discomfort the day of my surgery (04/25/12) and the day after due to gas pains that seem to roam around your body but the hospital was great about pain medication. It is also hard to believe but the sooner you get up and start walking the better you will feel....I didn't believe that either when they told me that but it is true. My doctor made me get up and start walking two hours after being in my room. I have had no pain since coming home and I havn't even used the pain medication that the doctor wrote a prescription for. In fact the taking out of the catheter and the drain tube were more uncomfortable than any pain I had....but they were quick...thank god....lol! Good luck and you will be fine.

for me it wasn't the pain. I stopped taking pain medication after the 2nd day. It was the nausea that kept me in the hospital for 4 days. I couldn't keep anything down. I was so dehydrated for the first week even with them giving me IV Fluid boluses. The pain was more muscle sorenes like you had a really hard workout and over did it just a bit.

Just like 100%Sleeved said, everyone tolerates pain differently. And it's very difficult to describe discomfort. I tend to come out of anesthesia slowly, and on top of that I was nauseous so they gave me meds for that (which knock me out). Between those two things I don't think I really woke up until the next day. But that first night I had quite a bit of discomfort with the gas pain in me. You "know" about the gas, but you don't realize that it crawls into every part of your body it can (i.e. up into your clavicle area, shoulders, around your neck, etc). This was the worst part for me, since I was SO nauseous, I couldn't get up and walk - WHICH IS SO VERY IMPORTANT!! That first night was the first and last time I thought I had made a horrible mistake; that I was going to be one of those "small percentage" people for which this goes terribly wrong. By the next morning I was a new person. Once the nausea was under control I walked- without fail, every 2 hours for at least 15-20 minutes around the clock. The gas pain went away and I felt like a million bucks.

Some people will say the gas didn't bother them much, some will say by day two they never took another pain pill. It really is different for all. Best wishes to you and I'll pray you have a speedy recovery.

The worst part was the 1 hour in recovery right after surgery. The gas was in my chest and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I was on oxygen to help for about 4 hours or so until the gas went away completely. The walking is what helped me. Pain meds don't really help with the gas. Other than that everything else was mild pain. I did have to use the pump more that first night because of pain from my belly button but it got better pretty quick. Just prepare your self. It will be okay. Everyone is different and tolerates pain differently. Good luck. May you have an easy surgery and recovery!

Thanks for the advice..... I cant believe after taking it to the 2nd appeal. They approved it in 48 hours..............

You will do fine with the right attitude. I had no real pain, just a bit of soreness getting up and down, felt like someone kicked me hard in the stomach. My worst time was in recovery, I felt like I was going to throw up but never did. I had a sore back so I was up and walking 1 hour after I got back to my room, I am not a back sleeper so that was hard for me. Best of luck to you!

Congrats on getting the approval!

The pain when I initially woke up wasn't bad. But I woke up moaning... I always seem to do this after surgery, it's just how I wake up from anethesia! I had some pain for about 2 weeks after surgery. There was one spot in particular that was very sore and tender. If it weren't for that one spot, I would have said that I had almost no pain.

Don't worry, they will hook you up with the approriate pain meds. Just be honest about how you are feeling. The pain shoud be managable.

You can't really predict how you will feel when you wake up. Hopefully you'll be groggy but feel just fine - a lot of us do! If not, well... speak up! You'll be in a hospital and they have fantastic pain meds nowadays! :)