Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can only hope to lose 65% of excess weight???

I went to a lap band support group last night. I'm still pre-op, but the surgeon's office would like patients to attend two support sessions before surgery. I told the group leader that I had a goal weight of 150. I'm 54 years old and I'm 5'6". She told me I was being unrealistic and that I should only expect to lose 65% of my excess weight. What??? Look, I know I'm not going to achieve the weight I was at 30 years old (130-135 lbs), nor do I want to. I'd probably look awful at that weight now. However, 65% of my excess weight would leave me at almost 200 lbs. That's not acceptable. I'll even relent and say that maybe I'll be happy when I reach 155-160.

Is this 65% the experience of the folks on this list? Do you get where you want to be? I'm not sure if I want to go through surgery if I'll still end up overweight. I know it's suppose to be about getting healthy, but I'd be less than honest if I didn't say vanity play a part too.

I'd really like some honest answers from the group because you all have first-hand experience.

When you get your band its a week 2 week thing but if you put your mind 2 it you can achieve where YOU want to be, it all depends on how hard you work at it and the effort that u put in to it. Everyone is diffrent and loses at diffrent speeds. But yes you can lose more than 65% thats just what the surgeons use a guide line.

I believe a great deal of it is up to the individual person. I am sure many people reach a certain weight, decide they are satisfied and do stop trying to get to their goal weight. I don't think it is fair of someone to tell us that we will only achieve 65% of our weight loss goal. I think that is setting us up for defeat before we even start. Of course, then again, I am sure they need to protect themselves as well. If they say that you can definitely lose all the weight you want, and then don't, they may be opening themselves up to a lawsuit or something (you know how people are in this day and age, sue happy!). My surgeon told me, with my band, I can lose as much weight as I want depending on how hard I want it and how much I put into it. Meaning, if I truly want to reach my goal weight, then I will. So, let them have their statistics and say what they need to say to protect themselves. In the meantime, lets totally mess up their stats and all of us reach our goal weight!

I have 154.5 lbs to loose..I have already lost 77.5 (i am 50%) there. I would be happy with 65%..But its really up to you. I have started to exercise and REALLY watch what i eat..Its def making a difference..65% is just a standard..I want to make 100% weight loss.

Kristen

I have already lost 81% of my weight and it has only been 5mos. I have every intention of losing 100%--YOU decide how much weight you would like to lose! My goal is to be at goal by my birthday in mid-October but as long as I get to goal eventually I will be happy.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/175/160

5'7''

What exactly is the down side of being 'only' 40 pounds over goal instead of 120 pounds?

Truer words were never spoken. If there were any other way for me to REALLY lose 65% of my excess weight, I'd have tried that too. This is the only thing ever that has allowed me to lose even 30% of my excess weight AND KEEP IT OFF. It was those last four words that got me onto the table and will keep me forever grateful for the band.

The group leader obviously doesn't know poo-poo from shinola about the band. I know lots and lots and lots of people who have done way better than 65%. I am about your age and I have lost over 80% of my excess weight, even by the most conservative charts. I'm not as tall as you, but I weigh 127 pounds.

The person you spoke to does not have correct info, First of all its different for each person. I was banded April 17,06 and I have lost to date 87lbs. My goal was to hit 100 gone befoe xmas. This will be done within the nxt 60days for me with the regiment I have put myself on. I would do this again in a heart beat and highly recomend it for everyone who is having the weight issues

If that statement is true, then 65% is better than nothing or gaining.

I've lost 85% of my weight loss and I am almost a year out.

Don't worry about stats. Worry about doing what is best for you and your health.

Shawn

You also have to understand that the 65% figure is an AVERAGE, not an across-the-board figure. Which means that there are plenty of people who lose more than that on the band.

On a side note: I've been reading this board for a while, and I've noticed a strong tendency for people to pick weight numbers that insurance and BMI charts tell them are "appropriate" for their height and age. Those numbers don't really mean anything in our real lives, because they don't take into account how much of your weight is lean body mass vs fat.

debi717, you mentioned that 65% of your excess weight would put you at 200lbs, and that that's "unacceptable". How would you know if that's unacceptable if you don't know your lean body mass %? If you're at 200lbs, but you have 160 lbs of lean body mass, you're in the 20-25% body fat range. For a woman, that's *excellent*.

I am 5'8", and after a body composition analysis last month, I discovered that about 165 lbs of my current body weight is lean mass (muscle, bone,. Unless I want to *lose* muscle mass (which would be nuts), I have to work *from* that number. My current goal weight of 190lbs would put me at 18% body fat.

Even if all your doctor can do is a caliper test, it's well worth doing a body comp test so that our goal weights are realistic and achievable.

Hmmm, I agree its an average which means many lose more, many lose less.

I find it interesting that I've gotten to about that level of weight loss - 65% and the weight loss now is very slow, every kilogram is really hard won and takes a lot of work to achieve. But it is ENTIRELY within my control too, its harder because I no longer have that flush of initial enthusiasm and am not working as hard as I was and its also harder because you dont lose weight as easily when you have less to lose. What I am enjoying however is that I can work my butt off to lose 3kg now and I will be rewarded with lots of NSV's - 3 kg makes a big difference on my body now. Whereas I had to lose 15kg initially to go down a clothing size.

If I never lost anymore weight Id consider this operation a resounding success though. I'm no longer obese (just overweight), I can shop in any store I please, I run regularly, I swim, I go to the gym, I'm fit and healthy, my ankle issues have largely resolved. The rest of the weight loss for me is purely cosmetic. I've introduced fitness as a daily part of my life, I am no longer staring down the barrell of becomeing soft, doughy and middle aged (my biggest fear I think, getting old and less mobile).

My main motivation to lose the rest is purely to look better and to improve my running performance.

So 65% aint so bad, but I definitely want to be in the category of those who lose 100% and its entirely within my control to do so. There's an awful lot of people who have surgery and arent compliant - dont have fills, dont change their eating habits sufficiently and many who dont exercise, there's no reason to accept falling into that category if you dont want to.

The group leader obviously doesn't know poo-poo from shinola about the band. I know lots and lots and lots of people who have done way better than 65%. I am about your age and I have lost over 80% of my excess weight, even by the most conservative charts. I'm not as tall as you, but I weigh 127 pounds.

Hi Carlene -

I was surprised that you said that you had lost over 80% of your excess weight - at 127 lbs, surely there can't be much more weight for you to lose?!? Is there another 20% that you consider "excess"?

Just wondering, because I'm 5'2", so the charts say I should weigh somewhere between 115-135, but I'd be thrilled to weigh 135.

I have only lost about 65-70% of my excess weight, and maybe that's all the band does, but the band has taught me what I need to know to lose the rest, and I am bound and determined to lsoe it through my band, diet, and exersize! I know it will take plastic surgery to lose the last 5 lbs or so, but I will never give up. Those people who say you can only lose so much are full of BS!

Hmmm, I agree its an average which means many lose more, many lose less.

I find it interesting that I've gotten to about that level of weight loss - 65% and the weight loss now is very slow, every kilogram is really hard won and takes a lot of work to achieve. But it is ENTIRELY within my control too, its harder because I no longer have that flush of initial enthusiasm and am not working as hard as I was and its also harder because you dont lose weight as easily when you have less to lose.

My impression from reading and talking to people is that the biggest determining factors in speed and amount of weight loss are how good your restriction is, that is, whether you at a fill level that is really helping limit food intake, and type and intensity of exercise.

And when I lost weight on phen-fen, I definitely experienced the phenomenon of weight loss slowing down as I got slimmer. The first 50 lbs came off effortlessly, because I wasn't eating much. Then I plateau'd. The last 30 lbs required exercise - both aerobic and weight training - 4 or 5 times a week. Without the exercise, the weight loss stopped. I got down to my "high" goal weight of 135 lbs, and felt great.

So I'd guess the same might be true with the lap band - whether or not that last 35% of the weight comes off might be exercise-dependent, as well as dependent on being persistent about getting a good fill (which I'm still working toward - just had the third fill yesterday, am at 1.9 cc in a 4 cc band, and still don't have much restriction....sigh....)

"....imagine the heartbreak :) a BMI of 'only' 33 instead of 50....."

Jack, LOL.

Stina, I've never heard of lean body mass. How is it measured?

Thank you all so much for your answers. I feel much better about the "65%" statement now. I'm glad to know that it's up to me what I lose, and that it's not predetermined. I took the "unrealistic expectations" to mean that I didn't get to own the responsibility for how much weight I want to lose. Thanks.