Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau After 4 Weeks?

Hello Everyone,

I know that this is probably a self-indulgent posting, but I need a little reassurance from the experts on the board. I had surgery on March 15 and weighed 339 pounds prior to my liquid diet and 334 on surgery day. I must admit that I have had an amazing recovery; there is no food that I cannot tolerate ( I may have started solids too early) and I have not felt nauseous or in pain since the first day after surgery. In terms of weight loss, the first two weeks I lost 27 pounds, and in the following 2 week I lost another 7 pounds. Since then my weight loss has come to a grinding halt. I have weighed 303 – 302.5 for over a week now and I am simply not budging. Prior to the stop my weight loss had already slowed dramatically. Obviously, I am starting to get worried since I am hoping to lose much more weight, and I am getting discouraged. Since I am eating only 900 calories a day and seem to be getting in my Protein requirements ( I am 6.4 and must be in deficit as needing more than 900 calories), why have I hit this plateau? Isn’t it much too early in my weight loss for this to happen?

So what should I do gang, should I try to reduce my calories? Just relax and accept that I have hit a plateau? Call my nutritionist? In addition, my energy levels seem to be going down now and that is worrying to me as well.

Anyway, I am sorry for the self indulgent post, I am just really worried… Am I still going to lose weigth?

Finally, I was hoping that you may give me an idea of how many calories I should eat at 5 weeks out ( some have suggested I might actially be eating to little) and what serving size of protein you eat with your meals.

All the very best and thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Harmonic

Just my suggestion but a guy at 6.4 and only 4 weeks out keep to the protien shakes (the ones with extremely few carbs) and meats that are not sauced....focus on Water intake also, get a Multivitamin in every day - a b supplement if you can.

Amp you daily routine, as well as exercising...walk a little further to the entrance of a store or mall, vaccum the carpet 2x...be more vigorous in scrubbing counters, windows, etc...it sounds silly but it is a little bit that goes in abig way.

Try to stay in ketosis! I would think you need about 90 g protien, minimum! Probably more...and yes that just equals to more calories than you are getting.

Measure your waist, thighs, chest, neck - you will see weight loss even when you stall.

Get sleep - you have to sleep.< /p>

I have always had metabolism issues, so I anticipated avery long stall and I am in it...but it isnt the same - just remember how much you have lost, you will loose more...and if you are careful you will not gain it back! Every pound is a true victory to us now.

I had a slight stall for 2 weeks I haven't worried with calories but I watch my Protein and carbs. I had been eating more carbs which always has affected my weight loss so I dropped them down to 40-50 a day and now have lost 2lbs this week. Do you count the carbs might be worth a try to see what you are taking in. I have a muscle milk Protein Drink each day which had 20gms protien and 6carbs. Good luck!

OH.....MY....GOSH!!!! I could have written the SAME exact post just recently!! I started at 340, lost a lot right away, then right at 3 weeks....total stall!! It lasted for SIX WEEKS!!! If I got on the scale and saw 300 one more time I was going to blow!!!

I tried a variety of things. HOwever, in frustration, I think I let my diet slip a little. I was obsessively logging my food on My FItness Pal, so I stopped. Well, I wrote to my dietician and he confirmed that this was not normal, so I reassessed EVERYTHING. I'm doing cardio only now, and I have to stay around 800 calories or I will not lose.

My carbs had to be shaved down as well. I had to stop eating Greek yogurt because of the high carbs. I switched to "carbmaster" yogurt with a touch of grape nuts for Fiber. I try to fill up on Protein items like tuna or chicken before I even consider anything else. I've started logging food again on MFP at least 3 or 4 times a week. It helps you know where your cutoff is between stall and loss.

Just back yourself up and regroup. A one week stall is fairly "normal," but not six weeks. Stop it before it starts. I may be a little overworked about the subject, but i don't want you to go through the same frustration for that long. You can do it!!!

Thank you so much to everyone for their response to my post. They all made me feel much better about my stall.

BUT, and I am not sure if I broke the spell by writing my post, the stall is over. I lost 1.5 pounds yesterday and am now 301!! I am soooo friggin pleased.

Now, I must say that I actually upped my calories yesterday (1000+), I even had 1 drink... I wonder if that had any impact or if it is purely coincidence...

I could never do this without your support so thank you again!.

Harmonic

I stalled Wk 5 and 6. Week 6 I was on vacation and ate pretty much everything I wanted. It was also my birthday and I had a piece of cake! When I returned home week this week (7 weeks po) i had gained 4 lbs. But now I am back on track and lost 7 lbs this week (incl. The 3 I gained over vaca

I think upping my calories was good and now I am back down to about 700 cal a day, it has really kicked my plateau!

Plus I saw my dr for my 6 week po and she said it was normal to plateau...my body has to catch up so don't rely on the scale but body measurements too. She set a goal for me to lose 40 more lbs by my 6 mo post-op check up, which is 10 lbs a month!

I also work out 6 days a week for at least 45min to 1.5 hours.

So my advice is to not sweat it, it WILL come off...it has to! That's what I kept telling myself while I was stalled :)

Wow, I'm glad I found this topic and this posting. I am 35 days post sleeve gastrectomy, and having lost 27 lbs in the first 3 weeks, I have not lost a lb since. I started tracking my food scrupulously since the first day of the 2nd week post and I have averaged about 725 calories per day since then. I started exercising a bit too soon, and after three days of morning and evening cardio/weight lifting sessions, found myself really knocked out--stopped for 3-4 days, then restarted a little less vigorously and have been maintaining a pretty good schedule of am cardio workouts for 30 minutes and pm weight lifting 3x/week for 20 minutes with free weights. I watch what I eat and keep to a lower carb diet 30-60 grams per day.