Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Have Any Regrets?

Anyonw have any regrets from this surgery?

Yes. I regret not having the surgery sooner! Seriously, I wish this surgery had been an option for me before I started having health problems. Now I'm working uphill to heal rather than knowing I'd avoided the major problems before they became an issue. Slowly but surely I am healing, but how wonderful if I could have done this before I got sick! :)

Only one...wish I could have gotten the surgery done at 29 years old after my second child was born. I'm 44 now.

Regret? As the ladies previously mentioned , I wish I would have done this sooner!!!!! Of course my insurance didn't pay until this year and my $$$ went towards nursing school tuition instead of self-pay for surgery but I wish I would have done this before I turrned 30. I am glad I did it before my body was riddled with diseases like hypertension, diabetes and hyperlipidemia!!!!! I am 2 weeks out and have had a few issues but nothing that made me feel like this decision was not the right one.

Hi

Even though I am only a month out and I am still struggling a lot and still have 97 pounds to lose,I also wish I did it years ago when I wanted to go to dr Himpens in 2003 to have the sleeve instead of of the band.At that time it was a brand new procedure and everyone I spoke to about it said I was crazy....I should have been brave then..o well,never too late and now my new life has begun.

xxo

I agree I wish I would have a chance to do it years ago but May 3rd is for me now and for my health . I do not care how much pain or how sick I may get it will all be worth it in the end. I have friends that have had ir done and they look great.

betterthanbefore

not meaning to sound redundant, but................................at 58 yrs young - my only regret about the surgery is, i wish this WLS had been available to me 30 yrs ago.

Now i do have the morbitities (msp) like diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure & chloresterol - hopefully i will find out soon that some of these problems are going to be gone or improved sooner than later.

i see people in there 20's & 30's on the board, boy that must be so terrific to get the WLS at such a young age, hopefully before they get any health problems.

kathy

best

kathy

Kathy your post helps a lot. I am 36. I am scheduled for the 16 of april and i am getting cold feet..i am getting nervous and i wish someone would tell me..dont do it!! It is the worst thing..but i hear nothing but positive things.

No regrets! I'm 37 days post op, down 35 lbs, no acid reflux, no problems. You will find lots of people who haven't been through the surgery who don't understand and will think you are crazy, but listen to those of us that have. There can be complications, but don't worry about those, just follow your doctor's instructions and don't worry about the progress you make versus what others make. Your journey is your own.

:wub:

I don't feel exactly the same way as everyone else. I am only 2 weeks out after having surgery on March 26th. I am still getting used to the idea that I will never be able to go back to the way I used to be (with food). I am not sure if thats regret because the way things used to be wasn't healthy! I never imagined I would have such a feeling of loss just because I couldn't eat. I'm definitely still mourning food, but at the same time I know this was a good decision. I just turned 31 on Friday and I know that if I continued the way I was I would start to have health problems. So, ultimately, I would tell you that if you are scheduled for surgery, there is a reason for that. Think about the outcome and why you started this journey in the first place...it will get easier everyday.

Yes. I regret not having the surgery sooner! Seriously, I wish this surgery had been an option for me before I started having health problems. Now I'm working uphill to heal rather than knowing I'd avoided the major problems before they became an issue. Slowly but surely I am healing, but how wonderful if I could have done this before I got sick! :)

I am with Lissa here for sure!

I'm definitely still mourning food, but at the same time I know this was a good decision. I just turned 31 on Friday and I know that if I continued the way I was I would start to have health problems. So, ultimately, I would tell you that if you are scheduled for surgery, there is a reason for that. Think about the outcome and why you started this journey in the first place...it will get easier everyday.

hi marisa,rose

You are lucky that you are only 31 - as you've noted above many people, including myself wish they had this surgery years ago. at your age i hope you don't have any health issues yet, or only a couple.

The past few months before surgery, before i was having my food funeral, it was amazing how weight just piled on in such a short time. If i had kept eating, going like this - would now weigh............

As far as mourning food - i'm 3+ months out and i am usually ok without "wanting" the bad food stuff.. But i'd be lying if i didn't say i sometimes think about lasagna instead of yogurt. oh well. But just "thinking" about it. the truth is i could have 2-3 bites of lasagna, but to me thats a tease, so i would rather not eat it all.

It is hard realizing for the rest of your life you'll be eating smaller portions, but healthier, other good stuff, but it is so worth it. I can tell, you are smart enough to know that.

i am so happy i had this surgery, it is a life saver. i'm glad you are coming aboard too feeling better about the surgery too. welcome aboard newbie.

continued good luck

kathy

Thanks Kathy,

It definitely helps having this support forum here. I think I would have gone crazy for the past 2 weeks if I didn't have all of you, knowing what I'm going through.

Like you said, its not about thinking that I can't have the food the rest of my life....its actually about thinking that I will never be able to fully enjoy it for the rest of my life. But, I'm sure that takes getting used too, rather than acceptance lol.

Thanks for your comment. I really am feeling better about everything!!

I miss food!!! BUT I will not miss going to the plus size section for clothes or feeling like being looked at or not being able to see my toes or tie my shoes without losing my breath. I will be able to play more with my kids, do more things that my husband enjoys, and just live happier. We can still eat, but a very small amount. I'm 2 weeks and 3 days out down 35 pounds and am gaining more energy every day. I actually enjoy being outside now and am actually wearing shorts! I wouldn't for a whole because I couldnt find any that fit. I cried right before I had it done, but I know it was the right choice!

No regrets here either. I feel like I'm eating like a "normal" person now instead of like a glutton. I have a very tolerant sleeve, and for example today at Easter dinner I was able to eat about 3 oz of ham, along with a few bites of green Beans, a few bites of mac & cheese, and even half a roll (that was tough to eat but it was a big splurge that tasted yummy!!). I avoided candy all day, and when they brought the ice cream cake out for dessert, I was satisfied with just a few bites.

I love my sleeve!!