Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tmi Warning; Menstrual Cycle

I got sleeved last thursday, 3/29. I started my period on saturday night. It's not typical that my 'time of the month' is ever on time, so I was suprised when it came because I wasn't expecting it for a week or two. I do suffer from PSOC (polycystic ovarian syndrome). So I have been in a lot of pain also with the pain of recovering from the surgery. My main concern is the ammount that I'm bleeding & the big clots that I'm having. I usually get lighter by the 3rd day & am done with it on the 4th. But I'm having no such luck. It's just as bad as when it started. Any suggestions why? or any need to call my doctor?

Thanks =)

I got mine the day of surgery...like an hour before. Mind you, I hadn't had one in almost 5 years. My doc said its normal to have 'fluctuations' in your cycle when you drop weight. But, as always, if your concerned, consult a physician.

When I had my lap band I was told to pack items for my "monthly" as surgery/anesthesia will often cause an early appearance.

And sure enough, the day after my surgery I got my period.

I'm not sure about the heavy nature of your period, though. I wouldn't think they could have done anything to your uterus during surgery ( ;) ), but if you're concerned, it probably can't hurt to call your doctor and just ask if this is normal.

I was on my period the day of surgery, and I had been bleeding for nearly a month. I'm in menopause and after the surgery, my period pretty much stopped. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy! ;)

It sounds like your be fine. It's a hormonal fluctuation! The power of being woman!

I got mine the day of surgery...like an hour before. Mind you, I hadn't had one in almost 5 years. My doc said its normal to have 'fluctuations' in your cycle when you drop weight. But, as always, if your concerned, consult a physician.

I got mine the morning of surgery....the docs were so kind and thoughtful, they made no big deal just told me to leave my unders and bottoms on...they removed them after I was out, so not so humiliating for me...And allowed me a shower as soon as I woke from recovery to take care of things...

If u had a blood thinner shot before surgery too maybe

I had no clue it was so common, makes me feel a lot better. Thank you ladies for all the information, much appreciated!

I was sleeved on 3/30 how r u doing? I was a band revision so more complicated but I feel great!

My normal period came on the week before surgery. Then I had the mother of all periods come less than a week AFTER surgery. It was awful! Do a search on the subject here and you'll find that it's quite common. My Feb. period was normal but March was super late and super long.

@Colorchic glad to hear your doing so well. I honestly don't feel too bad besides this situation. At times I feel very tired all of a sudden and have to take myself to bed. I've been trying to walk as much as I can, go to stores and walk around for a bit til my body tells me 'enough'. Having A LOT of head hunger, since everyone around me still eats the foods I loved before all this (fast food, pizza, sandwhiches, chips, CARBS etc.). I think that's the hardest part for me. Pretty much just sticking to Water, protien shakes, crystal light, mashed potatoes & broth. Have you had any problems with the 'diet'?

No eating premiere shakes, cottage cheese, sugar free Jello and sugar free pudding, plus hot tea and broth occasionally and my 2 chewable vitamins. Plus not needing diabetic meds! I walked around a few outlet stores today and the grocery store. Family eating bugs me too,but really not hungry @all. Have to retrain our brains!

My husband and son have been my biggest irritant when it comes to food...they go buy cakes Cookies brownies and crap and come home and sit and make mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm sounds....feels almost deliberate sometimes... I'm getting good at ignoring bad behavior

Good! Ignore them!! They should be wanting to help us!

You sound like your doing great! I'm having a problem doing my chewable multivitimans so I'm thinking about switching to liquid, the chalkiness of it kills me. lol. I def have to retrain my brain, it's been to many years of the bad, not enough of the good. I feel you pain gramaof4, great job learning to ignore it!

surgery can bring on a period. I have PCOS and a IUS and I don't have a period at all. EVER. I did how ever have one the week after surgery.