Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

had m 1st appointment saw loads of people was hoping for band but was told the sleeve is better for me due to previous surgery but worried about the odds 1-300 can anyone help

You don't want the band! Tons of problems with that. I love my sleeve, don't regret it at all. It's normal to be nervous, because right now it is the unknown. You will be fine.

You don't want the band! Tons of problems with that. I love my sleeve, don't regret it at all. It's normal to be nervous, because right now it is the unknown. You will be fine.

Totally agree! I've read so much about the complications in the band that I would rather battle obesity related complications instead of getting banded if sleeve is not available for me!

Like you, I was set on the band, had no idea the sleeve even existed. After reading about the complications I was turned off to the idea of WSL at all, but decided to go to the information session just because. Sooooo glad I did. I learned about the sleeve and once again felt comfortable with the idea of WLS. This is a great forum that tells it like it is - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Keep doing your research, I'll meet you on the loser's bench.

I had the band in 2007, and had the band to sleeve revision just 9 days ago. DON'T GET THE BAND! It worked for about 4-6 months, then years of issues. Go to the forum on Lapband Revision on this sight. The stories are all the same. No matter what the Dr tells you about the band, they don't tell you EVERYTHING!

but worried about the odds 1-300

I dont understand this part -- could you please let me know what these odds are?

Vjslim, I love your profile picture. Can you tell me more about it?

Vjslim, I love your profile picture. Can you tell me more about it?

I love it too!! I just googled 'beautiful paintings' when I was looking for a profile pic. This was one of the very first pics I saw and I instantly fell in love. :)

Cool! I bet some good stuff comes up on "beautiful paintings"!

had m 1st appointment saw loads of people was hoping for band but was told the sleeve is better for me due to previous surgery but worried about the odds 1-300 can anyone help

I can only speak for myself. I had the sleeve April 13th 2011 so I am almost at my year anniversary. I have lost 107 lbs and have an additional 13 lbs to go. I have gone from a size 24 to a size 12 and my size 12s are beginning to get loose. My surgery has thus far been a great success.

I'm not sure what the 1 in 300 odds refers to. Success of the lap band? Or the sleeve? My bariatric team advised me to have the sleeve instead oh the bypass because I need to take NSAIDS for my arthritic knees. Then I wanted to have the band but the told me the success rate and patient satisfaction was low. So I decided on the sleeve.

I am happier than I have been in 30 years and that's no lie! I didn't even realize how much I had isolated myself from other people and social settings. Now I have energy, I can walk up and down stairs, I can get on the floor to romp around with my young grand sons, I can hike, bike, swim, Zumba, dance etc!!!

Concerning food, today, so far there isn't anything I can't eat or drink. In very small portions of course. But I am doing fine with the small portions. In fact they really make me appreciate how great food tastes!! Clarification. I can't drink beer. It's just too foamy but I don't really like beer that much. I can drink champagne, and wine, and mixed drinks but have to be careful. We can get intoxicated quickly. I can drink soda slowly, chew gum, eat bread and drink with a straw. I can eat sweets,

Even though I can eat bread I hardly do. Nor do I eat pastas. But granola on yogurt is great!

Part of my success had to be contributed to my husband. He has been very supportive and has chosen to eat healthier and loose weight too. We eat healthy together at home and when we dine out we share our entree. If we take enough time sometimes we have dessert. But most of the time we don't feel like eating more.

I may not be typical but this is my journey so far. I will never be fat again.

I would never have had WLS if not for the sleeve. Thank God for the sleeve!!! My life has totally changed for the better. Kathe

I believe that the 1-300 refers to the mortality rate, but that rate (.3) is the same for any WLS. Or general surgery that involves going inside to mess with our organs. My surgeon (mind you I have no date yet, and starting nutrition in April) explained this number to me in great length.

http://youtu.be/Fmx7gwgIxYQ

This is my surgeon, and the mortality rates and other information is in here. This could be different for your surgeons, but this is the information that I got and I review it every now and again.

I heard too many complications with the band and they may stop doing them. With the sleeve 85% of your stomach is ut off, so wouldn't you rather have that than a piece of plastic put inside of you? Any surgery has a risk involved.