Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Frustrated With Eating Out!

I am so frustrated with eating such small amounts of food. I love eating out with my family. But I find myself getting frustrated because I can hardly eat anything. I sit there looking at the food and wanting to eat more, even though I'm completely full. It is so frustrating for me. Please don't get me wrong, I love my sleeve and my new body and am totally happy I had the surgery. I hate cooking for myself because I eat so little, I get overly concerned with how much my hubby is eating. So frustrating, I know he has to make his own decisions about portion size. ARGGGGGGH!

I know some of this is head hunger, but struggle with getting through it! ARGGGGGGGH!

I think we all have the same frustration. it comes with the surgery. I so want to eat a big meal like I used to, especially at family gatherings. My little sleeve gets full, but my head is still hungry....

Yep... I have such a hard time eating out. I have gotten sick every time (Today was the 3rd time since surgery). I ordered a size of broccoli and a small baked potato to keep it cheap and simple. Couldn't even eat the broccoli without excusing myself from the table.

It's not just the amount of food. It is the way it is so heavily spiced. I never noticed that until after surgery. My stomach is much more sensitive.

Exactly the way I feel..you've put it into words. Gosh I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I just went on a mini vacation with my sons and we had to eat out the whole time we were there,,it was very difficult for me. I really didn't want to ask the boys to share with me (even though one offered once) so I'd buy off the menu for myself and there would be so much left over,,and then I felt like I over ate and hated the way I felt,,physically and mentally. I felt a little like I did pre sleeve..I hate that feeling of guilt, shame and feeling stuffed. I either threw up or felt like I would everytime I ate. I'm not too good at the sleeve life yet,,I'm trying but it's so hard,,kind of depressing. I'm usually an up beat person but I'm feeling more and more down everyday..or maybe I won't feel this way tomorrow. The mood swings are getting to me. I sound like a mad woman to my family and probably to you all as you read my post.

I know how you feel. Sometimes I get so frustrated and I don;t even know where to go out to eat. I am usually eating in the same places when going out. But lately we hardly eat out. I having "light meals" like tuna etc. I love Chili but when I make it,is just for me,no body in my house eats chili :( I have to throw away most of it within the days. PS Doris we have the same exact lbs to go to get to goal,yay!!!

I've eaten out twice since being sleeved 12/19/11. The first time was Red Lobster with supportive friends. I did not mind taking leftovers home. The second time was a Chinese buffet. THAT was harder. I felt like I was wasting food because I couldn't eat more. Messsed up, huh? No wonder I got to where I was! I noticed the food did not taste as good. I tried a couple of greasy things and wanted to throw up. I did not overeat though because I'm still getting used to how much to eat and was so afraid of overeating. I keep Protein Shakes in the car and drank one of those a couple of hours later. However, I am glad that I can now get some fast foods (like Wendy's chili) when I'm on the go. I got tired of only drinking a Protein Shake or eating a Protein Bar when on the go.

my DH and i used to go out to meals alot. not only do i not really not like to cook, i just don't want to. Laziness come to mind - and the truth is, we just enjoy getting a meal from either Denny's-Red Lobster et al

Now cuz of "my condition" no i'm not prego at age 58!! (having the sleeve) we choose not to go out to meals anymore. its just easier for me so i don't have to "suffer" looking at other peoples food!!! yes i'm sure their will come a time when I will have to go out to a party or something - and i'm sure i'll be miserable - i will just suck it up really - it will be torture, but i'll do my best

good wishes

kathy

I like going out to eat--my husband and I go out regularly. I have developed some strategies that make it work for me.

1. My husband and I sometimes share. When we eat Mexican, I usually get a big forkful or two of refried Beans off his plate, and I dip a few chips in there with some salsa. Perfect Meg-sized meal, and he doesn't miss the Beans. (My husband is also a sleever, but his capacity is a LOT more than mine!)

2. I order an appetizer as my entree. Nobody thinks twice about this--I have yet to have a waiter even blink when I say something like, "I'd like the shrimp cocktail appetizer as my entree, please." I still usually have food to take home, but not as much.

3. I order Soup. Brothy Soup goes down really easily--I can actually have 2 courses at a restaurant if I order soup for an appetizer and then another appetizer as my entree--yay! I don't ever finish the soup--just eat most of it, then I enjoy a few bites of my "main dish" and take the rest of that home for another meal.

4. I order a small salad--especially in a place that has a Greek salad with feta cheese or yogurt dressing--LOVE that I get Protein in a non-meat form (my sleeve has problems with meat), and I eat the "good stuff" off the top of the salad and leave most of the lettuce. Just be sure you're chewing thoroughly, or a few bites is all that will work!

When you eat concentrated Protein like meat, it definitely fills you up faster; that's why the "protein first" rule works so well during the losing phase. You get FULL when you eat a couple of ounces of chicken or meat. If you don't eat those, you don't get quite so full quite so fast. The "get full" scale ranges all the way down from those great protein foods to what are called "slider foods," foods you can eat that don't fill you up at all--for some people, popcorn is a slider. For others, chips or other junk food are sliders. Finding those foods that work somewhere in the middle can be a big help when you're heading out to eat!

Good luck!!

I am so frustrated with eating such small amounts of food. I love eating out with my family. But I find myself getting frustrated because I can hardly eat anything. I sit there looking at the food and wanting to eat more' date=' even though I'm completely full. It is so frustrating for me. Please don't get me wrong, I love my sleeve and my new body and am totally happy I had the surgery. I hate cooking for myself because I eat so little, I get overly concerned with how much my hubby is eating. So frustrating, I know he has to make his own decisions about portion size. ARGGGGGGH!

I know some of this is head hunger, but struggle with getting through it! ARGGGGGGGH! [/quote']

I understand i feel the same

I usually get an appetizer as my meal or my friends and I get an entree and a few sides and I get a small plate of whatever I want.. One of the waiter's at my fave restaurant (the Grand Lux Cafe) was concerned because I left most of my appetizer/entree on my plate.. I assured him I was good, the food was great and that I was saving room for dessert.. Which I was.. 1 chocolate chip pecan cookie!!

As far as the anxiety when dining w/ family and friends... I try and take my time and eat very slowly, engage in lively conversation and try to actually have a good dining experience... I totally understand though... I hope you find something that works for you, so you can be less frustrated....

I feel the exact same way.... I usually feel better about it if I don't order my own entree. Sharing helps me a lot :-) for the most part I love my sleeve just wish once in a while I could eat a few more bites!

It is reassuring to read that others have this struggle too. I know that it's a dilemma that we all share. I also know that in some aspect I just don't want to cook myself. I have cooked for many years and had just decided I didn't want to cook any more. I call it just plain being lazy. But today is a new day and I will work harder to fix my own foods. I've noticed with me, that since I can put a limited amount of foods in my stomach, I am focusing alot more on organic foods like wild salmon, organically grown veggies, and I do avoid the processed foods when I do cook. That's my new goal. Organic foods. I can't handle the thought of eating pesticides in my food any more. I also believe that processed foods contributed a lot to my weight gain. Besides eating way too much. I just realized that I have been getting really picky when eating out, not happy when I don't know the grade of meat I'm getting. Wow, I just realized that I handle my anxiety by going out instead eating at home. Oh, I know I also have to have better time management skills to do a better job with eating healthy. SOrry for the rant. Thank you everyone for your feed back. XOXOXOXO! :wub:

It's ok to feel frustrated!! I get like this too every time I'm sitting down to a good meal and wish I could eat more. Then I look over and watch my Hubby or someone else eat and eat and eat... then I think, darn if I did that I'd be back up to 300 Lbs in no time.

Then I suddenly relax, smile and move on. ;)

Dorrie,

I know exactly how you feel :) . This past Friday was my husbands birthday and we had everyone over for dinner and cake. He loves Thanksgiving so I made a turkey breast with all the trimmings then chocolate cake with chocolate and vanilla frosting. When it came time to eat I had about two bites of turkey and greenbeans and a couple bites of mashed potatoes and was done. I was full but watching everyone I couldn't help but wish it would be nice to have a full plate. Then when it was time for dessert I dished up cake and ice cream for everyone but myself and sat at the table watching everyone and smelling the chocolate. <_< (Has anyone else noticed that your sense of smell is a lot stronger?)

Then we went to town Saturday (We live about 2 hours from the nearest city) which normally I would have been thinking the day ahead where are we going to eat. Now I really don't care because no matter where we go or what I get 4 or 5 bites in and I'm done, just sitting there and watching my husband and daughter finish eating.

Sometimes it is hard watching everyone else enjoy the food you can't have anymore.

I've noticed too, that food doesn't seem to taste as good as it used to. I don't know if it's because I eat so little or what but I can fix something or go out to eat and really be looking forward to it; then when my food comes it just doesn't tase that great. Plus you have to eat so slow that my food gets cold by the time I'm done. Sometimes I feel like it would just be easier to be on a liquid diet.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sleeve and I don't regret the surgery one bit. My health has improved so much and I feel better than I have in years but when food was such a big part of my life sometimes it's hard to not have that comfort anymore.

Now I am trying to eat healthier and I am a lot pickier too about what I eat. Just have to remember why I'm on this path and that there is more to life than eating. :rolleyes:

I am so touched by everyone's warm heartedness and kindness that it makes me emotional. This means so much to me. Thank you so much, I love everyone on this site and am so blessed to have you guys on my team! :wub: