Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Understanding The Procedure

I've spoken with surgeons from Mexico and a place in Newport Beach, CA. The place in Newport does a VSG as a one day procedure. No staples, only sutures. Sometimes patients stay one night, but that is it.

Some of the "better" doctors in Mexico keep patients for several days and use staples and sutures.

I am trying to understand the difference. Does anybody know? There seems to be a wide range of differences to the procedure itself. I don't want staples if it's done in the essence of making the procedure faster as opposed to suturing.

IMO- a triple line of staples is WAY safer and less likely to leak than suturing by hand. I wouldn't go with a surgeon who didn't staple.

Both is the best. Two staple lines and suture gives maximum protection against leaks. This is how my surgeon performs his surgeries. Good luck

So why do U.S. surgeons not staple?? I was surprised that the Newport Beach place did it as an outpatient procedure!

So the staples stay in... What if you ever need an MRI? Sorry but I think if these things. :)

The staple line in my stomach is stapled and then oversewn. The staples are, I think titanian, at any rate you can have an MRI with them. My outside incisions were taped with sugical tape, no staples or stiches there. Hope this helps

I had surgery in the US and have a triple staple line. I've also had an MRI since surgery and my staples did not go ripping out of my body- since they're titanium there's really nothing to worry about.

That helps a LOT! Dr Kelly has agreed to speak with me by phone tonight, I will get a feel for him and see how it goes.

This forum is awesome, thank you all for your help!!

AFAIK, EVERY surgeon that does the VSG uses staples. I have never heard of a surgeon that does not. The tool clamps, cuts then staples the cut all in one with just a couple of squeezes.

SOME docs over sew the cut with sutures, most do not. There certainly is some veracity to it being slightly better - like a belt AND suspenders type of situation, but the staples work fine alone.

The staples are permanent and DO show up on x-rays and MRI's as dark lines but do NOT interfere. They are non ferrous titanium and they do NOT set of metal detectors. The are actually quite tiny micro staples.

Now that I am thinking about it, perhaps the person I spoke to simply did not know what she was talking about!

This info is SO helpful. Thank you!!!

The Newport Beach one, is that lap band or the sleeve? It doesn't sound like they are giving you the correct info. My surgery was in Fountain Valley and they required a 2 night stay and used staples. ;)

AFAIK, EVERY surgeon that does the VSG uses staples. I have never heard of a surgeon that does not. The tool clamps, cuts then staples the cut all in one with just a couple of squeezes.

SOME docs over sew the cut with sutures, most do not. There certainly is some veracity to it being slightly better - like a belt AND suspenders type of situation, but the staples work fine alone.

The staples are permanent and DO show up on x-rays and MRI's as dark lines but do NOT interfere. They are non ferrous titanium and they do NOT set of metal detectors. The are actually quite tiny micro staples.

Agree. That is what I have learned from my research and from my Doc. I recently flew to Las Vegas and I did not set off any alarms in the metal detector or the full body scanner! :P