Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went To Brunch, Awesomeness!

The family (my husband, stepdaughter and me) went to a brunch buffet today. I am so thrilled that I have been able to eat everything, so far, within reason.

All in all, I had far less than a half a cup of food, but the variety of foods tolerated was very encouraging: A small bit of bacon, a couple of small bites of a ham, egg and cheese casserole, a bit of chicken and mushroom, and a few spoonfuls of potato leek Soup. I know I am forgetting something...

I ate all that very slowly and was plenty full when we left, but no reactions and no discomfort.

My husband and stepdaughter ate so much food, it was upsetting to watch them become kind of miserable, although it was obvious that my husband tried to eat less than usual. Still, a three egg omelette, loaded with meats, vegetables and cheeses, looked like a huge monster. It wasn't tempting or interesting.

I'm just happy that I can go out with my family, and with my friends, and find a way to have a good time and still enjoy life.

Wow all that and less than 1/2 cup! You did great!

I still love going out too. I haven't hit a buffet yet. Were you able to get a child's price?

Anyway, for me it's fun to steal little morsels off my husband's and daughter's plates. They could care less. My husband says to order what I want and give him the rest, but I'd much let him order what he wants. If I HAVE to have something I can order it as a side or ala carte. There has been no greedy restaurant fees for extra plates. I do it on the sly anyway. Well, not sneaky, just unobtrusive.

Wow all that and less than 1/2 cup! You did great!

I just took tiny bits from the buffet and tried a little bit of each. It was my first time trying quite a few of the foods and I didn't want to be too brave. I probably looked ridiculous, a largish woman carrying a plate with pathetic little portions. I even took about a tablespoon of wild rice, which I didn't have room for and therefore didn't touch.

I still love going out too. I haven't hit a buffet yet. Were you able to get a child's price?

Anyway, for me it's fun to steal little morsels off my husband's and daughter's plates. They could care less. My husband says to order what I want and give him the rest, but I'd much let him order what he wants. If I HAVE to have something I can order it as a side or ala carte. There has been no greedy restaurant fees for extra plates. I do it on the sly anyway. Well, not sneaky, just unobtrusive.

I didn't ask for a child's price. We rarely ever go to buffets as they are the devil, but we had a certificate from our club so we went for brunch. I really should have ordered from the a la cart menu, but will do that next time.

Rather than ask for a child's price, I may from time to time ask to order from the children's menu.

I don't mind a split charge from a restaurant, as it is nice for the food to be served and presented nicely to both parties, and for each to have the salads and bread, but it isn't going to work to have the kitchen divide the meal because they won't divide it up right.

I'll probably order my own stuff, try to keep it small, and let the family "inherit" what I don't eat, or just leave it.

Problem with children's menus is that they consist of 1. Grilled cheese 2. chicken fingers 3. Hot dog 4. Hamburger 5. Spaghetti and 6. Mac & cheese. Senior menu might be a better bet or the appetizers in better resturants that don't consist of fried everything.

I way mind the split charge. It's like throwing money down the drain to me personally. Your mileage will vary ;-) I also doggie bag EVERYTHING. Must be the depression era grandparents who raised me. I can eat for a week if I were to order a regular meal. If I can't be part of the clean your plate club (Thank God), I will be part of the tupperware club.

It is true that there are some folks who absolutely hate leftovers. My mom's ex wouldn't touch it.

I think I would still like buffets at the right price of course. I still love my food, just a LOT less of it. Anyone know a goodEthiopian place? Sleeve still loves spicy (again Thank God!)

I usually hate children's menus. Even when my stepdaughter was young, we wouldn't give her a children's menu, unless they had the same type of food on the kid's menu as on the adult menu. So she would often eat from the same menu as us. She is a very versatile and adventurous eater and loves good food, and I think that is a result of being exposed to good foods.

When we were kids, we didn't go to places with kid's menus that I can recall, and the "happy meal" wasn't introduced until I was in high school! But if we go to a mexican restaurant, and they have one taco, rice and Beans on the kid's menu, I would perhaps ask for that.

I don't mind leftovers so much, we eat leftovers at home all the time. I just don't want to see the same thing over and over again, especially restaurant food, which is plated for immediate consumption and doesn't always reheat well. It took me a while to quit the clean plate club, but I am glad I did.

We don't eat out a lot, so when we do, I would prefer to spend a little more and get some really nice food. I eat fast food maybe once or twice a year, and avoid chain restaurants whenever possible.

The split plate charge is silly if they just bring out an extra plate and let you duke it out with your dining party ;-) . But some places split the entree back in the kitchen and each diner has a beautiful plate, and each receives a full-sized salad and sides. That, to me, is worth the split charge. I am planning our spring break (I make a binder with stuff to do and restaurant choices with reviews for each city we visit) and there are definitely split plates on this trip.

Ethiopian food! I wish I were near you, I would seek out some Ethiopian food with you. I just noticed you are in San Dimas - we used to go out there as kids for some reason. I grew up in L.A. and Long Beach.

Since I really can't do salads and sides, it's lost on me LOL

San Dimas is the home of Raging Waters, a waterslie park that's been here since at least the early 80s. The is also Puddingstone Dam recreation area.

WOW! I do the exact same thing for trips! I scout out the motels and restaurants, tourist traps, activities, shopping, historic sites and everything including maps and put it in a binder. I save them in case I get back that way again. The only hain restaurant I wanted to try was Cracker Barrel (again, not so sleeve friendly). Usually I find the restaurants that are famous for the area. My latest project is a trip up Hwy 395 with stops at Bishop (for mule days?), Mt. Whitney, Mammoth, Bodie and ending up in Carson City and taking the old train to Virginia City. Our trips are somewhat "rustic."

I notice you're in Texas. I might be joining you if California gets much weirder.

OMG, love the travel binder! I am just getting my stepdaughter into road trips. One of these days, we are going to do a girl's trip.

After our trips, I write online reviews, and try to blog a bit, and then get rid of the binder contents. I am trying to reduce my "stuff" because we want to move to a much smaller place in a year or so.

I am sure we did the Hwy 395 trip when I was a kid, because we made it from L.A. to Reno and Lake Tahoe. I also remember doing the Hwy 49 trail.

Our trips are "rustic" too, much of the time. We are doing a segment of Route 66 and the south rim of the Grand Canyon this year.

Come to Texas, if you get homesick for weird, you can go to Austin for the weekend!

We did the Route 66 thing a couple years ago and went through Oatman (love me some friendly donkeys) and into Kingman eventually ending up at Willow Beach which is at the bottom of Hoover Dam. You can rent your own boat.

This is also on my list of things to do. I want to get in shape so I can to the 9+ mile hike down .... or I could ride with the pack train:

http://www.havasupaitribe.com/

Ah, the gold country. Been there, done that, will do again.

When I hear San Dimas I think about Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure! I think I'm showing my age with that comment though. :)

I had Qdoba today for lunch - their children's naked chicken burrito is perfect - I get it without rice, so I get pinto Beans, grilled chicken, pico, salsa verde and a bit of sour cream. I get a side of chips and queso and just have a few chips - it's delicious and the perfect size. I can't finish all the Beans but I pick out all the chicken and tomatoes. Plus it's only $4 and change and comes with a drink, too.

When I hear San Dimas I think about Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure! I think I'm showing my age with that comment though. :smile1:

Is the movie THAT old? "Wyld Stallions Rule!" "Be EXCELLENT to each other." LOL!