Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling Post-Sleeve Is Different. What Do You Do?

My surgery was on 12/20/2011 so I am 4-1/2 weeks out.

I decided to take a little impromptu road trip to our little vacation house in the desert. It is an eight hour drive. I packed a few Protein drinks and PowerAdes for the road, and set off with my coffee with Muscle Milk in hand.

The first thing that I noticed was how little food I packed. ONE can of refried Beans, ONE can of Soup, ONE banana, a tiny portion of homemade black bean Soup and a small container of homemade vegetable curry. Instead of my usual rolling cooler, I had one mini-cooler with a few items in it. Plus, of course, my Protein powders and shakes. It took such a short while to unload the car this time. I like it! And, I'm pretty sure I overpacked.

Also, I felt very alert on the entire drive. This was such a nice change from the drowzy spells I usually get! Nice energy.

I did stop for some baby food bananas as I am in a remote location and don't want to have problems with my potassium.

I was thinking about an upcoming flight. Has anyone been able to take premade protein on a flight, like the Premier Protein cartons? Or are we stuck with taking powders and buying something to mix them in at the airport? Even a three hour flight can be over five hours in the secure airport area.

How have you handled travel?

I did a 3,000 mile driving trip in October. I took a cooler for drinks (bottle Water and some juices) and cheese. I bought some sandwich meat (the little packs of buddig) at a grocery store and took Peanut Butter and a spoon along. I ate in a restaurant once on that trip, for Breakfast on the way up to Kentucky. The rest of the time, I just fixed myself a snack when I stopped, which I had to do every hour because I have blood clot issues. I didn't always get a snack, but I tried to finish a bottle of Water per hour, which kept me nicely hydrated.

I don't fly, so can't offer any insight on that issue. :)

Good luck!!

Thanks Lissa! I stopped to buy gas and use the restroom once, and then to pick up the baby food and use restroom. I tried to exercise my legs as much as possible in the car (automatic with cruise control on, so no feet needed to drive). I don't have blood clot issues to my knowledge, but I did worry about it and did what I could while making good time. I can't see well at night so I wanted to get to my destination before dark, so I didn't want to stop much.

I hope the TSA will let me take packaged Protein on the flight. I guess I could get a note from the doctor or show them my scars. Other than that, I guess just chug one before going through security and hit up a store as soon as we get the rental car. But that could be many hours. :nonod:

I hope the TSA will let me take packaged Protein on the flight. I guess I could get a note from the doctor or show them my scars. Other than that, I guess just chug one before going through security and hit up a store as soon as we get the rental car. But that could be many hours. :nonod:

I travel nearly every week and have done so since the first week after after my surgery. TSA doesn't have much of a problem with prepackaged Protein, especially Jerky, Protein Bars, etc. However, drinks are another issue. Still can't get pass that one. You can bring protein powders, however, which I have done. Also, prepackaged Water additives are allowed.

Thanks, massindex. I'm not going to be at the Protein bar stage by then, and I don't really like the bars that much anyway. Looks like I'll be packing some powders. If I buy the Crystal Light individual packs, I can add my strawberry sorbet unjury to that, just pack my shaker cups and buy a Water at the airport.

It really irks me to be a captive in the airport. There is so much unhealthy food, and everything is overpriced.

I'm going to be traveling soon and wondered the same thing. (We share our surgery date, Amanda!) I'm expecting TSA to be very stringent about liquids, so I'm not even going to try and will just take powder.

I do always take an empty glass in my carry on bag or purse and just fill it in the Water fountain after I go through security. Sometimes I get free ice for it from a vendor. This is because it reallly irritates me to pay for a bottle of water!

Good idea about the baby bananas for potassium; I'll have to remember that.

Last time I traveled by plane, I packed a four pkg of EAS Advantage in my suitcase (not carry on). They're 110 cals ea with 17 g Protein. They're small & handy.

I like all the great ideas for traveling. I'm looking to go visit my wonderful grandchildren in Washington DC really soon. I will take alot of what has been said for traveling. LOL ;)

I love to travel. I use Gold Standard Pro vanilla Protein powder and mix it in my shaker cup with a packet of Starbucks Via Italian Roast Decaf. I also travel with the unjury chicken flavored Protein. Once you are on solids, beef Jerky is a great protein snack. I usually pack some flavor packets for Water too.

Most airports I've been in lately have a Starbucks. If I need a snack in the airport, I get a soy latte or for a bigger snack, I get a yogurt cup.

For car trips, I bring along my fav quick foods: 55% reduced fat Gallo Salami (that 55% is important - they make two kinds of light salami and the 95% reduced fat is nasty!), light string cheese, greek yogurt cups, and whole wheat crackers. I also throw a case of bottled Water in the trunk.

I also travel with remedies for Constipation. If I miss a day, I'm on it.

Lynda

I have heard that you can get a prescription from your Dr. for the Protein and TSA will let you have it then. Don't know how true that is. Also probably one of those YMMV things as well.

I am going to check into this as the TSA does allow liquid foods to be brought on for infants. What is the difference?

And, you're right - the TSA will be hit or miss.