Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Complication?

I am asking this question because I am concerned about my SIL. She had Lap Band surgery a few years ago and has done well with her weight loss. The problem is that she told me over Thanksgiving that she sometimes goes as long as 6 days without being able to eat anything because something will get "stuck" and she just can't take in any food only liquids. She also vomits on a daily basis... so much that the enamel on her teeth is being to erode. She refers to her Lap Band as a medically induced eating disorder. She has some bad habits... too much alcohol and smoking. I am quite concerned about her. I encouraged her to go back to her surgeon because I don't believe it sounds right that she vomits so much and sometimes can't eat for days. She won't go because she is more than a year out from surgery at this point and has to pay in full for each visit. She simply refuses to pay the $ to go because she believes she is fine. Is this normal? How did any of you know if your band was causing erosion? I believe she is headed for trouble. Am I right or is this normal for a Lap Band patient?

I agree that she has to go back to her surgeon. After my lapband I did a lot of liquids and soft foods early as your stomach inside of the band gets irritated and swells making the hole that goes into your stomach even smaller. I did have my fair share of vomiting but it was more later on when things would get stuck and it would all come up. But after that I could eat most things again and not have to go back to liquids. She should go to the doctor as if she has been throwing up this much so early after surgery her band may have slipped and moved.....or she may need to have some of the Water taken out of the band to make the opening larger until her stomach becomes less irritated. Either way get her back to her surgeon.

This is far from normal. First of all, she's not chewing her food enough - that's why things get stuck and she vomits. She doesn't seem to care because she's happy with her results. She may have a slip at this point and time because of all the vomiting. Worse yet, her band could be eroded. Either way, she needs to go back to her surgeon -

Yikes! Daily vomitting is not normal. Losing your teeth is a serious thing. She absolutely should get checked out and make sure everything is OK.

The problem is that you can't force someone to do something with their body that they dont want to do.

Good luck...

Tell your SIL that you are concerned for her health and ask her to go see her surgeon. It's not fun not eating for 6 days. If she refuses, then let her know that is her choice, but a foolish choice nonetheless. Keep reminding yourself that she will only go when she is ready for help. You are a very caring compassionate person. ;) Do you have a Sleeve?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches