Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just went to the NUT yesterday- I had sleeve done on 12/13/11- she gave me a prescription for Actigall and told me it was a necessity. I saw my Dr today and he said I should take it because there is a 30% chance of me getting gallstones if I don't. Is anybody post-op NOT taking Actigall? I hate to take it because I am afraid of side effects (especially because I tend to have allergic reactions- particularly hives) and I understand it thins your hair, too (great- between the Hair loss due to surgery and now this, do I need to buy a wig now?) What is your experience taking it? I also heard that Xenical (Alli) also can reduce gallstones, as well as vigorous exercise. If you have ANY info on this- please post a reply. I am very grateful for any help or advice you can give.Thanks everyone.

I'm curious about that as well, because when I had my medical appointment pre-op, I was told I'd be taking Actigall (different doc in the Bariatrics dept)... but my actual surgeon never said anything about it or prescribed it for me.

I have my first followup on Jan 3rd, I plan to ask him then.

I think that's the same thing my doctor prescribed me, at least it was to prevent gallstones. I am the worst when it comes to taking pills, since I have such an active gag reflex.. After surgery, my throat was so inflamed, it was even worse so I didn't take it right away. I haven't been taking it, though I'm sure someone on here is going to lecture me about it, and I haven't felt anything wrong. I'm not medically inclined to give advice, though, just giving myself as an example.

I"m not taking Actigall, I've never even heard of it.

but is anyone else out there getting sick of pureed foods? that's the stage i'm in, until 1/12. I broke down and had tuna for lunch though. I just mashed it really good. I know I need the Protein.

Yeah, I thought I would lose it if I had to sit down to another meal in a bowl. As I got close to my date for soft foods I started "cheating" a little here and there and having soft-cooked vegetables, diced meats, etc. I reasoned that if I made sure I chewed REALLY well, it was like puree anyway.

They say you are supposed to chew your food to applesauce consistency anyway, so it's a good habit to get into and maintain...

My surgeon does not prescribe this.

Never heard of this until now. If they are so concerned about gallstones why don't they just take the darn gallbladder out when the do the sleeve? So are you to be on this medication for the rest of your life or only for a few months post-op? My doctor have never mentioned it at all.

I do take Actigail. My doctor told me that I have to be on it for 6 months after surgery. The capsules are HUGEEEE!! (according to me, I have a hard time swallowing pills) I take it with meals twice a day.

Oh yeah, I take Actigall. It can also be called Ursodiol. I don't know about you, but I have no interest in having another laparoscopic surgery any time real soon if there's anything I can do to prevent it, so I'm more than happy to take a pill twice a day if it will help.

A medical study in 2000 found that 71% percent of the patients who completed the study developed gallstones, and 67% had to have their gallbladders removed. I have a friend who had her gallbladder removed in the past year, and she's struggling with the new dietary restrictions post-op. I'm glad they don't remove it routinely, but having surgery later is also certainly something I'd rather avoid.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002248040196322X

Taking Actigall / Ursodiol dramatically reduces you chances of having this problem, and it's only for 6 months or so (during the rapid weight loss phase). I only minded it when I was still having to crush my pills or break them open and mix them into applesauce or some such thing. The Actigall was pretty bitter, so I was thrilled once I could just swallow it.

My doctor has me taking it twice a day with food. It is sort of a pain to swallow but I like the thought of swallowing the pill a lot better then I like the thought of another surgery. I don't care to ever have surgery again!

I am so thankful I get to take Actigall. Before my sleeve surgery I was having a great deal of pain from my galbladder. In fact my doctor was going to take my galbladder out at the same time he did the sleeve, but my liver was too enlarged to remove it safely. I have been on Actigall for 6 months and haven't had galbladder pain for at least 4 months. Actigall not only prevents future stones from forming but also helps to break up any old stones you may have. The rapid weight loss from our surgeries can cause the formation of stones. And personally I don't want to have any more pain or problems associated with my galbladder.

I'm on Ursodial, I take it twice a day and will take it for 3-4 more months. I noticed the hair thinning after the 1st month, and that's with taking Biotin and hair, Skin, Nails formula.

When I started the process to have surgery months ago, my doctor told me that they WOULD take out my gall bladder. When it was time for surgery however, I was told that they would leave it in so I could still benefit from it. I wouldn't have minded losing it at surgery and I sure as heck don't want to have to go get it taken out, so I make sure I take my pills. I'm curious though to find out if anyone after taking the gall bladder meds or +6months post op still had to have it taken out?

My surgeon was thrilled to be able to take the gall bladder out the same time as the revision was done. I had a calcified, ancient stone the size of a jaw-breaker. He told me that the risks of having the gall bladder out were less than depending on the meds. The revision was my 6th abdominal surgery. Enough is enough.

I took it for 6 months twice a day....I opened the caps and dumped them in a spoon of applesauce or pudding. Down the hatch. I REALLY did not want to have gallstones +an extra surgery!