Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out About Leaks & Complications

I'm really freaking out about leaks & complications. I've read a couple of stories about a few ppl who have had complications that have lasted months with multiple surgeries.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op, and happy as a clam. A 28-pound lighter clam.

Carbgrl,

Education is the best medicine. We post about complications to help others not to "freak" anyone out. People are all different and our bodies adapt to this surgery in different ways. Some things are out of our control, but if you are going down the weight loss surgery path, you have exhausted all other means and your health both physical and mental, are depending on you to rid yourself of the excess weight.

Please just think of this as education with real people, so you know some things that can potentially happen. If they do, more often than not-there is a correction.

My abscess and second surgery do not hold me back from saying, I am glad I had the sleeve surgery. I feel better today, with an open wound on my tummy than I did 4 months ago when I was in the approval process. I know I have extended my life to move forward with my hubby into my twilight years :)

I wish you strength and confidence in your journey.

Those stories would freak me out too. But I've been lurking WLS boards for years and have read true horror stories about every procedure. But the thing I found is, people who have complications tend to be more upfront about it than people who have the surgery and never have any complications. Like very few people make a specific post to say I'm 6months with no complications, even though many are. Especially with VSG there are many more that make it through the procedure complication free, than have complications. But the complication risk is always there. It is a risk when you have this surgery as with any surgery. I had my surgery on December 19 and luckily had no complications and I'm able to get all my liquid and Protein requirements in so far.

Education is the best medicine. My abscess and second surgery do not hold me back from saying, I am glad I had the sleeve surgery. I feel better today, with an open wound on my tummy than I did 4 months ago when I was in the approval process. I know I have extended my life to move forward with my hubby into my twilight years :) I wish you strength and confidence in your journey.

Wow Sandyd your attitude is AMAZING!

Carbgrl I hope this helps to turn you into a "Protein girl". biggrin.gif

This forum has been my biggest support and teacher during this process. No matter what your feeling or what's going on with you, people are here to answer your questions, share their experiences, and calm your fears. Many have experienced what you will experience and tell you what they did or how they handled a situation.

This surgery, although consider major, has less complications than other WLS. You notice very few people have had major complications because it's rare. You said you read a couple of stories, it's just a couple out of how many people on these forums? But you must always consider the risks. Everyone is different in how they handle pain, how fast they heal, and experience the changes in their bodies. It hasn't been easy for me that's for sure. I had major regrets the first couple of weeks. However, I must admit I was delighted that my new stomach was content with just a few bites of mushed up Christmas dinner and it feels good to know I can't and won't pig out ever again. So far I am never hungry and just a 1/4-1/3 cup of food fills me up. I'm getting some strength back and starting to feel almost normal at 23 days post-op.

For me it's worth the risk to avoid high blood pressure, type II diabetes, hip and knee replacements, sleep apena and all the other complications caused by morbid obesity.

Good luck in your journey and know this forum is here for back-up and support during the process.

Make your surgeon and bariatric coordinator aware of your concerns, and actively discuss what the are going to do to prevent that...request the drainage tube upfront, and if you are super concerned maybe a second barium drink later? Your surgeon should be willing to help you eliminate your fears...plus see what you can find online about percentages of sleeve leaks, I think that would help ease your worries alot.

One more thing - I have noticed a tendency to complications more for people who don't follow the rules in one way or another. Be diligent in your preparation, give yourself enough time to heal, promise no one nothing while you are doing so!

PS - I will be sleeved 01/04 and I share your concerns. I have also requested a pre-op round of antibiotics because infection is a major concern of mine.

I remember being very scared before surgery when I would think about having most of my stomach cut out. At the same time, I knew I couldn't live my life morbidly obese anymore. Sure there are risks, but life is full of them. You take a risk every time you get in your car and drive. The sleeve complication rate is very low. Most people love the sleeve and do very well after surgery. The sleeve has completely changed my life. I think the risks are worth it. Obesity has so many negative risks both medically and emotionally. I think you should discuss your concerns with your doctor. If you have a good surgeon and follow the pre and post op rules, you will put the odds in your favor. I know there is a lot to consider with the surgery, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love being able to live my life!

This forum has been my biggest support and teacher during this process. No matter what your feeling or what's going on with you, people are here to answer your questions, share their experiences, and calm your fears. Many have experienced what you will experience and tell you what they did or how they handled a situation. This surgery, although consider major, has less complications than other WLS. You notice very few people have had major complications because it's rare. You said you read a couple of stories, it's just a couple out of how many people on these forums? But you must always consider the risks. Everyone is different in how they handle pain, how fast they heal, and experience the changes in their bodies. It hasn't been easy for me that's for sure. I had major regrets the first couple of weeks. However, I must admit I was delighted that my new stomach was content with just a few bites of mushed up Christmas dinner and it feels good to know I can't and won't pig out ever again. So far I am never hungry and just a 1/4-1/3 cup of food fills me up. I'm getting some strength back and starting to feel almost normal at 23 days post-op. For me it's worth the risk to avoid high blood pressure, type II diabetes, hip and knee replacements, sleep apena and all the other complications caused by morbid obesity. Good luck in your journey and know this forum is here for back-up and support during the process.

Well said. I can't think of anything to add to this.

"One more thing - I have noticed a tendency to complications more for people who don't follow the rules in one way or another. Be diligent in your preparation, give yourself enough time to heal, promise no one nothing while you are doing so!"

UMM Sorry but, I just need to share, I do not think this is a statement I can agree with Pookeism. I followed everything to the letter. You could not find anyone who measured, ate only prescribed food, stayed sterile (my hubby thinks I have mysophobia) and I developed a major complication. The abscess was not my fault. Things happen

Being scared is natural. Learning all you can helps conquer fears. Ultimately, it will be a decision you have to be comfortable with.

Thanks for the responses. The support on here is awesome. I wish there was a pill I could take to make my fears disolve. biggrin.gif

One more thing - I have noticed a tendency to complications more for people who don't follow the rules in one way or another.

I have to disagree as well, I followed my rules to a T, even to the point of my nutritionist telling me I was being too strict with myself. Low and behold, a leak discovered at 9 weeks out. They have assured me it was nothing I did.

I have had no complications and I am 11.5 weeks post op. If there is a complication, you deal with it, But I believe that if I worry about something, I'm not focusing on my healing process. I want to take care of me,so I follow my surgeons directions in eating and when I make a bad choice, I get back on track and strive to make better choice. I hope you can let go of your fears because your thoughts do lie to you. We can stress on the most simplest stuff and blow it way out of proportion. This is called catastrophing. Take care and remember your journey is going to be different than any one else's journey. You are unique... ;

Responding to those who responded to"tendency for people to have complications" statement. Both in the forum and in messages:

I still stand by this statement. The bariatric community does study after study and find that to be the case. "Tendency" does not mean everyone, and it wasn't pointed at anyone. This is an very good forum here, full of support and goodwill. Encouragement is not always a stratightforward pat on the back. She was concerned and I made a very relevant point to stress that complications have reasons. Even if you do nothing wrong, a leak in a sleeve has a reason. It has to have a reason, else it would not be a leak, because nothing would have happened. Whether that was anything from something not being followed, or a stitch out of place to not fully support a row of staples, etc...there is always a chicken before an egg.

I plan to post the good and the bad, and I will let you know what I think caused it. Or if nothing caused it that I can figure out.

Sorry for any typos but I am out by the fire with some friends about 2 miles from the next group of humans, on a small qwerty, lol.