Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am day two of my 10 day preop liquid diet and so far i am having a terrible time tolerating the protein shakes.

I am on day two of my preop liquid diet and so far I have tried the orange cream by Bariatric Advantage and banana cream and they make me so nauseated I can hardly stand it! I don't even want to drink Water after drinking them! My tummy aches and feels so sick! Any suggestions or help please? I am wondering how I am going to survive the before and after liquid diet if I can't tolerate the Protein Shakes? ?

I used Isopure Dutch chocolate, Syntrax iced tea, and Isopure unflavored with all sorts of crystal lite flavored waters. That got me through 2 weeks per-op shakes.

The week of Clear liquids post-surgery I used Isopure ready to drink in different flavors. You get 40g Protein per 20 oz of Fluid.

You can get all of this from Vitamin Shoppe or GNC. I found Vitamin Shoppe less expensive.

Good luck! You'll make it through this. Hang in there!

I had a problem with the sweetness of some of the Protein shakes, so I used Espresso flavored Click powder (available on Amazon) and a couple of Protein Shakes that I found pre-made at my local Sam's club. After surgery, sweet didnt' set well at all, so I drank gallons of chicken and beef broth, low sodium versions. I also drank a lot of Decaf coffee with the Protein Powder mixed into it. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury makes a chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder that some say is really good. I never did try that one.

I was allowed yogurt and cottage cheese on my liquid diet, so I ate a lot of those as well. I'm lactose intolerant now, so I don't do either post-op.

I too had a problem with the Protein Shakes because I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners, My doctor allowed me to switch to Carnation Instant Breakfasts, using 8 oz milk and 1/3 cup powdered instant milk to boost the Protein. He doesn't require post-op shakes so I only have to endure for the 2 weeks pre-op.

I didn't have to do Protein Shakes pre-op, but I also can't tolerate the sweet shakes/mixes anymore, so I do unflavored powder from GNC or nectar in my Decaf coffee with a little milk and splenda. It's not fantastic, but I can usually get it down with no problem.

I found some Liquid Protein that's not as bad as the powdered stuff. It's called " New Whey Liquid Protein"...I found some at Walmart & Meijer. They do have different flavors. I find them to be to thick like Syrup so I dilute them with a bottle of Water. There is a website too...www.newwhey.com. The ones I have bought have 42 grams of Protein. Hope it helps & good luck! :smile5:

My liquid diest pre op is Diet Jello, sugar free popsicles, low sodium broth and 5 Optifast shakes they don't taste as bad, i start my pre op today.. Good luck to all.

I am so, so glad to see your post here tonight! I got on this site just to see what people are doing about their pre-op diets. I'm on my third day pre-op and have the same kind of Protein shakes as you do. My surgeon REQUIRES his patients to purchase them from the medical group along with Protein Bars and chewable Vitamins. I usually like Protein Shakes and bars - through the years I have tried a lot of them. This brand is awful!!! Today I tried something that made it a lot better. The sugar-free and no calorie flavoring that is used by coffee shops adds a lot of flavor to the shakes. The vanilla flavor is good with the vanilla shake. They can be purchased from regular grocery stores. I actually got them down today without my trying to keep from shuddering.

The headaches the past couple of days have been the most difficult. Work should be interesting this week. I told my husband today that I cannot understand, with all the products out there now, why this brand is what the surgeon uses. Obviously, he hasn't ingested them. The bars taste grainy and dry. Awful too. And, I'm not picky! Oh, and the product cannot be returned even when unopened - the cost was almost $500!

Thankfully people have responded with solutions!!! I don't have to worry now about this post-op, which was a big concern.

Have you tried to heat your Protein Drinks? When I was on pre op that is what saved me. I heated them like a "hot chocolate" and made sure they were mixed really well. It helped a lot & is helping me get them down post op.

I started today, the Optifast is terrible, plus I feel hungry and so far is just one day.. Help which bars do you guys recomend?