Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Banded

I was finally banded on Friday, July 18, by Dr. Willie Melvin at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville. I can't say enough good things about him or the staff. My stitches are definitely sore, but I feel like I've been run over by a freight train. I'm so sore from my shoulders to my waist (not gas). Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I got the worse end of a fight :) I've never heard this mentioned on here and wonder if anyone else has ever had this happen.

Truth is I feel like I've been run over by a freight train.....I expected lots of things but not this feeling.

Aside from that I'm doing fine and glad I finally have my band. I'm keeping up on Protein and pain meds, but not hungry at all. I have the new low profile port and I saw it before surgery and what a huge difference in size and weight from the other ports.

God Bless and Thanks For the Answers,

Dody

You did it! Congratulations Dody! Yippee!!! You are normal. Feeling hit by a freight train is a good description. I felt tired and, just tired. Exhausted. Take it easy. Rest. Sip. Walk. You'll recover nicely, I'll bet. Yay Dody!

WOOHOO Dody, -WELCOME- to Band Land.

I think each of us experience a different amount of soreness. My level of PAIN (more like discomfort) was probably a *4*? but the groggyness was a *9*.

MY problem was that I couldnt seem to stay awake for long periods of time - for the first 2 days home.

Dont forget to drink your Water and WALK!

Glad you are home and on the road to recovery...

Have a speedy recovery and get lots of rest. Try moving to just tylenol ASAP and get up at regular intervals and walk. You'll feel more like yourself in about 5-6 days.

HI ALL

I was banded this Monday, Jult 17, 2006. I was extremely sore Tuesday and Wendsday but feel much better today. Any movement of any kind hurt. I was slow in starting the pain medication and I know I would not have been so sore if I started the pain meds when I walked out of the hospital.

I delayed starting the pain meds when I left the hospital because I had a 5 hour trip in front of me and was worried about the nausia that is a possible side affect of the medication. When I got home fell asleep for about 10 hours.

The pain meds have made me very sleepy but the worst is now past.

I certainly am looking forward to a new smaller me.

Top weight 478

Weight at surgery 436

Banded by Dr. Montgomery, Seattle, WA

I don't know much about putting tickers or anything on here, but my daughter is a computer genie and promised to help me with it soon. I can't believe after this year long wait I am finally banded. I just took a hot shower and feel somewhat less sore. I have no gas at all, but I had none with my gallbladder surgery either, so I feel extremely lucky there. I am walking as much as possible, although I just had knee surgery a week ago, but doing the best I can. Thanks all of you for your support and kindness on this forum. I don't think I could have made it through without being so well informed of what to expect on here, although I had never encountered anyone mentioning the "beat up feeling". I'm relieved to know it isn't that unusual, and is probably somewhat related to being older than most of you. Gosh, am I the oldest on here at 64? I'm going to keep up with my Protein and pain meds and walk all I can. Thanks again for letting me know the soreness isn't unusual...I was worried.

God Bless,

Dody

I Am Just A Year Younger Than You And Assume Part Of My Extreme Soreness And Beat Up Fealing Was Because Of Age.

I Did Have Major Gas Pains, I Never Realized I Would Be Blown Up

Like A Balloon. It Has Taken Three Days For The Gas Pains To Subside.

I thankfully have been spared the gas up till now anyway. As for being run over by the freight train....that is really a strange feeling. My abdomen is of course the worse of all and the fact that I was so tired last night after the ride home from the hospital and the fact I probably didn't move all night probably added to the intense soreness. I so feel horrible for you with the gas pains. I'm hoping to avoid them. I did Carnation Instant Breakfast for 7 days before surgery and did a bowel cleanse before surgery, as this is what my surgeon recommends. I do believe it helped, although I had no gas with my gall bladder surgery either. The gall bladder surgery was a piece of cake compared with this, but then I'm no kid either :) I hope you feel better quickly, and please keep in touch. I love hearing from older bandsters out there.

God Bless,

Dody

Dody glad you lived through the seven days of Carnation Instant Breakfast. I remember you not liking the milk products.

M

I absolutely despise milk and am not sure how I survived it, except one night I snuck in a little broth and a little hot tea. I have since gotten some Isopure and it will give me the Protein I need, and I find it much more tolerable. I would have done anything to get this band. I think determination was a big motivator also. After the 3rd day the headache stopped and my stomach stopped crying for food, and I've been fine since. I'm 3 days out and still not hungry Thank God. Perhaps part of it is psychological. I am, however, really sore, but I guess time will heal that. I'm so very glad I took this step in my life. It's been a year long process to get everything done, but I fully committed myself to this a long time ago. Thanks for all the good thoughts.

God Bless,

Dody

Got my band July 14

Went home same day

Took Tylenol III 3 times over the first 24 hours.

Nothing since

Still on Clear Liquids

Stomach is a bit sore if I lie on it, or wear a belt.

Able to drink same as before surgery.

Noticed very little difference in any areas.

Life is good

Hip Hip Horray for Doty!!! :dance: :mod: :whoo: :) :cheer2: Welcome to the "other side". You are going to love it here. Like I said b4, I am proud of you!! Love your avatar and your fancy signature. Looks like your daughter was able to help you out today. Golly girl, you don't look your age at ALL. I expected your have gray hair and lots of wrinkles....meant to be a compliment.

You will be strutting your stuff in no time at all!!!

post-205997-13813133776024_thumb.gif

Hi Doty

The type of gas problems I am having are the result of all the gas

that is pumped into your body at surgery time. I have gotten rid of most of it but still have some residing in the area of my left colar bone.

Whenever I start moving around I hurt like heck. The rest of my aches and pains are subsiding. Any hints as to how to get rid of the gas anyone

or does it simply take time.

I am two months younger than you Doty, age certainly makes the operation more difficult but like you have said, I would have done about anything to get this "installed".

My wife just came into the house. The smell of bacon followed her. She was cooking it in the garage hoping I would not smell the aroma. Amazing the feelings aromas stir up.

weightloss.png

:update:

band installed July 17 by Dr Montgomery - Seattle, WA

</A">

:update: :update:

banded July 17 in Seattle by Dr Montgomery