Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a military mom of three. Very fortunate to be able to have this surgery. I introduced myself a while back, and decided now was the time to fill you in and maybe ask some questions. My house is very busy (8-9 at a time) so I didn't have alot of time to do or think about anything. I cleaned my room up to my standards, and got it prepared for when I return. I have a wonderful support system. I am hoping all goes well (ofcourse tomorrow is full moon,LOL I am superstitious!) I am not a crier but I do have anxiety, major anxiety, like maybe dumping syndrome before the fact? (TMI, sorry) I am nervous, but I am excited.

Question:

Did you lose a lot of weight pre-op on the shakes? And if so do they hold that against you? I lost about 20 pounds. I want to do this by the book. I don't want to mess this up at all. Any good vibes would be wonderful. My thoughts are with you all, no matter which phase you are in.

Take care!!

I didnt have to do the preop diet. I just had my procedure on Tuesday and actually feel great! I can't believe how easy the recovery has been so far. You will do great....especially if you are motivated. You will do great! And I know a lot of people don't post but just read everyones experiences. I did for a few weeks before getting the courage to post. Good luck!

I did the preop diet and dropped about 15 pounds or so. It was tough, but the surgery was MUCH easier than I anticipated!! I was sleeved Monday 29 Aug. Good luck and let us hear how you're doing!

SavingGrace- Please don't let the fact that no replied right away turn you off to this group. Many people read & never post because they want to remain completely anonymous. Others of us only come on every couple of days. Please know that people here will support you. And if you really feel like this forum won't work for, please find another that will (Obesity Help is also very nice). Having the support (or just reading the stories) of others going through the same experience as you is very helpful in learning how to work with and understand your new stomach. It is one of the things that has helped me keep going when I really felt like throwing in the towel, so to speak. Wishing you good luck in your journey.

Krista

Any weight you lose before surgery is a good thing. It makes the surgery easier on the dr. Some drs don't even have their patients lose before surgery. I was only on liquids for 24 hours prior to surgery and that was it. How are things going post-op? Is your support group helping?

I apologize. I am on an emotional roller coaster. It has been a crazy week. Had 2 surgeries this week. Will update tomorrow. Thank you for the responses, again I will respond tomorrow.

Thank you!

Hope you are recovering well. I had the same question to my docs about losing too much weight pre-op. They told me that for insurance purposes they go by the first day you weigh in and that the more weight you lose the better before surgery because it helps the docs when in surgery and makes your recovery that much easier. Good luck!

First and foremost, I must apologize again. I won't lie, I am not a crier, maybe a whiner? I sometimes wish I could cry, so I wouldn't be so emotional in other ways. Okay enough about that.

My weight initially 277 height 5'6

My weight day of surgery 257

Thursday Sept 1 246.7

( I need to make a ticker)

Day 1 Aug 29 Surgery- Since the weight loss we decided to go with only 3 holes, was fine with me, easier to come home and recover with. Came out of surgery with not too much pain at all. I was in ICU the first 12 hours until I was able to walk, and take down a bit of Jello. I was feeling really well. I walked laps around the ICU. Feeling pretty good. After my walk and lemon Jello (yum!) I was a little sleepy decided to take a nap. I was wheeled to a regular floor. My doctor came in every thing was looking good. As long as we kept the route I would go home the next morning. They took the foley catheter out, and my last task was to go to the rest room. I tried for some time, sat there for gosh knows how long. They gave me a dose of pain meds by IV. I then took another nap.

I woke up from this nap, in extreme pain. Pain like never before. I honestly thought I was going to die I was hurting so bad. My blood pressure sky rocketed, my heart rate went tachycardia, and then I began vomiting. I was vomiting so bad, I brought up quite a bit of blood. My husband was there called a nurse who then called the surgeon. I was evaluated and told I needed to go back to surgery asap. My sympstoms suggested something was wrong. I felt horrible I didn't care, just make the pain go away please. So back to surgery I went.

At this point I don't really remember too much until Wednesday evening. I was back in ICU again. However I was feeling better, and happy to be alive. Turned out I must have twisted and pinched something, but they fixed it before it became an issue.

Fast forward to Thursday and now. I was finally able to come home. I took a shower, brushed my teeth and now able to relax in my own home. I am beginning to bruise in many places. 7 holes on my left hand where they tried during surgery to get a second line in bruised pretty bad. My arms are also bruised up from the heparin shots every 4 hours. I look like I have polka dots on my arms. Lastly from both the surgeries I am beginning to bruise and the incisions are waking up.

Other then all of that, today I am feeling pretty good, a little better each day. I am walking around the house several times a day. I think today I may go outside and walk some more. My body is swollen still, so nothing to report there yet. LOL Thanks for reading if you got to here. I will keep updating.

Thank you Jill for the good vibes, much appreciated. =) Congrats to you as well, I am glad you are recovering very well.

Tony, you and I both had surgery on the same day, I will have keep an eye out for you. I hope all is going well with you.

Thank you Krista for the nice thoughts, I was razzled that day, and just felt plain insignificant. I apologize. I have read this board faithfully. I didn't think to post till crunch time here. I will try and make a better effort with that. My respects.

Ava, thank you I do agree support group is good. I do go to an active support group and have for a couple months. I am feeling a bit better, thank you for asking.

Raine, thank you yes you are right it does help. =) They also didn't have to make as many incisions. Well until I had to have the emergency second surgery, and ended up with 5 cuts anyways.

I am just happy to be alive and have a second chance at life. Only issue I am dealing with that has nothing to do with the surgery atleast I don't think so, is a pretty bad headache. It has lasted a couple of days now.

Thank you all again, I will try to become a little more active now. Especially since I am feeling better. My regards to all.

That is quite the story and everyone's worst nightmare to have emergency surgery from complications. You are a trooper and a very good sport. I did have headaches after surgery. Mine were from the carb withdrawal. Sometimes a tiny bit of diluted applejuice can take the edge off. But most people would say that is against the rules. Carb withdrawal is no fun and takes awhile to go away.

Sounds like what happened to my friend who had RNY. They made her pouch too small and her swelling engulfed it and she had NO stomach. They had to re-do her surgery so she actually didn't consume anything for almost a month. Crazy things happened.

Glad you are back on the mend and feeling better!

Ava~ You were right, I asked and had 2 oz of applejuice, tada it did the trick. Great advice! =) Thank you.

Shalon~ Yes, it was thankfully I don't remember a lot of it. I am just happy to be home and starting my new life, my new chance.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear you have complications and a second surgery. I'm so glad to hear you're finally home and recovering.

I just wanted to send you some good thoughts and I hope you're feeling great soon.

Teri