Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been working with a dietician since June 10 th for my six month supervised diet. She gave a crazy diet plan that intails me to count all calories, milligrams of salt, and how much calium I get. I'm super OK with counting calories and measuring my food. I have done that for years.

The part that it hard is logging every single detail and emailing it to her weekly. Let me tell why its so hard. I have two small kids and a mentally ill MIL that I have to take care of. My hubby's commutes so I barley see him during the week. I am having a really hard time with all of this.

My dietician has also tried to convince me not to go through with the surgery. Yesterday I sent her a length email explaining that I will no longer be able to email and log weekly. I also shared my thought with her on surgery. This is what she replied with.

"I need to write a progress note to fax over to your doctor to update them on your progress. It will need to reflect what we've talked about as far as no longer following the meal/diet plan that we started you on. It will be good to weigh in and show the doctor / insurance company that you are losing weight, but it won't be because of our meeting that you are succeeding in this. So! My concern for you is that the insurance company needs to see one last ditch effort to lose weight without surgery hence the referral to me. I believe they need to see this based on my consultation with you ~ but you may want to clarify somehow with your insurance company, as I would hate for you to do this for 6 months only for them to reject your request for surgery. Also, if you are successful with your weight loss by the end of 6 months, they may see this as being successful without surgery and therefore deny on that basis. This is all speculation on my part... just "food for thought"... please don't quote me! "

What did you guys get from this? Will this determine my supervised weight loss as a complete failure? Will this reflect on my approval process?

She totally confused me.

Thank you all responses and opinions. :)

She sounds whacky to me! Can you get a different dietician?

I have been working with a dietician since June 10 th for my six month supervised diet. She gave a crazy diet plan that intails me to count all calories, milligrams of salt, and how much calium I get. I'm super OK with counting calories and measuring my food. I have done that for years.

The part that it hard is logging every single detail and emailing it to her weekly. Let me tell why its so hard. I have two small kids and a mentally ill MIL that I have to take care of. My hubby's commutes so I barley see him during the week. I am having a really hard time with all of this.

My dietician has also tried to convince me not to go through with the surgery. Yesterday I sent her a length email explaining that I will no longer be able to email and log weekly. I also shared my thought with her on surgery. This is what she replied with.

"I need to write a progress note to fax over to your doctor to update them on your progress. It will need to reflect what we've talked about as far as no longer following the meal/diet plan that we started you on. It will be good to weigh in and show the doctor / insurance company that you are losing weight, but it won't be because of our meeting that you are succeeding in this. So! My concern for you is that the insurance company needs to see one last ditch effort to lose weight without surgery hence the referral to me. I believe they need to see this based on my consultation with you ~ but you may want to clarify somehow with your insurance company, as I would hate for you to do this for 6 months only for them to reject your request for surgery. Also, if you are successful with your weight loss by the end of 6 months, they may see this as being successful without surgery and therefore deny on that basis. This is all speculation on my part... just "food for thought"... please don't quote me! "

What did you guys get from this? Will this determine my supervised weight loss as a complete failure? Will this reflect on my approval process?

She totally confused me.

Is this a dietitian your surgeon uses often? My dietitian is part of my whole program, specifically for bariatric surgery. I had to see my Dr each month for 6 months and each month we talked about what I was doing (weight watchers and walking) - I lost 21 lbs in that time. Also want to mention that there are great online trackers that are simple, some even have phone apps - and all the foods are in there! myfitnesspal.com and weight watchers both do. You really need to take the time now to track, even if it is just for a few days in the beginning because it will help you get used to Portion Control and being more conscious of what you eat. If you don't have time now, how will you do it after surgery?

Thank you guys so much! Lol @ whacky :) She was given to me from my PCP. My PCP picked her. I had no say. I still have to wait for my six months to end in order to get my referral to my surgeon. Then I'm sure the surgeon will want me to do a whole bunch of stuff.

Thanks again!

It doesn't sound like she knows what she's talking about at all. If you still need a dietician I would call the surgeon's office and get a recommendation from them. One that understands weight loss surgery and the pre-diet process involved. Good luck!

Definitely get a referral from the surgeons office. In fact my doc highly suggested that we use his nut because she was very knowledgeable and knew what things to discuss with you to satisfythe insurance company.

Khy

I agree with others above. I would get a referral from the surgeon's office! This surgery is relatively new and those that do it really specialize. They are most knowlegeable on nutrition pre and post op. Good luck with this. It must be so frustrating!

Thanks guys so so much. Once I get to see my surgeon I will let them know about needing a NUT.

2 thoughts, Is fatsecret or myfitnesspal.com and option.... you type in what you ate and it figures it all out for you? Then she can look at it?

My other thought is get a different nut!

Thanks Myrori!

I just got into my fitness pal. I LOVE IT! My dietician will accept it too. That makes my life so much easier. Now, if I can find the will power to lose weight and work-out.

You need to learn to 'play the Game'. If you can't get a savvy nut to help you get to surgery if that is what

is really needing to happen, then you need another dietician, doctor or whatever. Check with people on the forums near to you and establish contact to get a more realisitc picture of wht you need to do. This girl is just protecting her job.

My dietician haa s also tried to convince me not to go through with the surgery. Yesterday I sent her a length email explaining that I will no longer be able to email and log weekly. I also shared my thought with her on surgery. This is what she replied with.

She totally confused me.

Reading between the lines - and not VERY tween" at all - it appears that sh doesn't want to have you lose MUCH so they reject you on the basis that you don't need surgery and she doesn't want you to GAIN either so that they reject you on the basis of you not cooperating and making an effort to lose weight.

Seems that if you were to stay the same weight for 6 months and yet eat dietetic portions you would be more apt to be approved. So judiciously leaving off some food in list may be what she is driving at.

Guest Rosalind

Insurance companies go by your BMI when you START the 6 months supervised diet. My bariatric surgeon sent guidelines for primary doctor to follow when making notes.