Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Ready For Surgery

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I went through my insurance company's 3 month program and am awaiting surgical approval. My problem in the meantime is ME. I have not gotten myself mentally prepared for this surgery and have been eatiing crazily (if that's a real word). I've found myself buying and eating a lot of foods "because after the surgery I'll never be able to have this again." Earlier this week my personal physican shocked my by telling me I have diabetes but I've still bought sweets and eaten them (he wasn't too concerned saying after I lose some of this weight the diabetes SHOULD be gone).

I have only told a couple of people about this surgery and am ashamed to talk to them about how I'm eating. What is wrong w/me???!!!

Well, I kind of did the same thing, although I stopped short of going totally nuts. I'm not really a volume eater, but I basically went around and ate pretty much what I wanted. My husband was angry with me, asking "are you trying to get it all in or what? You're about to get your stomach cut out and you're eating THAT?" My clever reply was "that is EXACTLY why I am eating this!" I think that you do have to have a little food memorial and eat some of your favorite dishes. Then say so long for now but don't say good bye because somewhere down the road chances are that you will be able to eat them again, but it will only take you very little to be satisfied. Chances are the surgery will bring you enough success that you will be so motivated to eat right that those moments of indulgence will be few and far between. Maybe you should talk to a counselor about what you are feeling; they could try to help you work it out. If you are not totally sure that this is the right time for surgery, postpone it until you feel comfortable with your decision. I feel weird giving you my opinion because I am only 11 days post op, but I don't regret for one moment my decision. Just remember that most of us go into this surgery with "food issues" that's why most of us had the surgery to begin with. Anyways, keep us posted and good luck to you!

Thank you, Holly. Believe it or not, your reply made me feel better. I've just felt horrible during this binge because none of my friends/family would understand (I don't even understand why). I really need to take a closer look at myself and I hope that what you said about post surgery will be true for me. Good luck with your own recovery! smile.gif

I had to wait 5 months from the time I got my surgery date until I got sleeved and food funerals took place on a weekly basis. Don't beat yourself up about it, just watch the quantity because you don't want to gain a bunch of weight before surgery. I still have trouble remembering that I haven't said goodbye to my favorites forever, just for now.

I agree with Holly, make sure that you're comfortable with your decision before you go into surgery. Good luck and we're always here for you if you have questions or need a little pick me up!

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I went through my insurance company's 3 month program and am awaiting surgical approval. My problem in the meantime is ME. I have not gotten myself mentally prepared for this surgery and have been eatiing crazily (if that's a real word). I've found myself buying and eating a lot of foods "because after the surgery I'll never be able to have this again." Earlier this week my personal physican shocked my by telling me I have diabetes but I've still bought sweets and eaten them (he wasn't too concerned saying after I lose some of this weight the diabetes SHOULD be gone).

I have only told a couple of people about this surgery and am ashamed to talk to them about how I'm eating. What is wrong w/me???!!!

I think it's normal to go through the last meal thing, where you want it before surgery thinking you'll never have it again. You'll do fine, I was a Dr Pepper addict and drank it up to the night before urgery at my last meal. I havent had one in 14 months and don't want one. It is an amazing tool!!!

You're so normal! It happened to the vast majority of us. I think it's a rite of passage. :) Just try to focus on the fact that you aren't saying goodbye to these foods forever, just for now. I am almost three months out and can now eat pretty much anything I want- just not a lot of it. Prior to surgery I focused on this liklihood, but I was a volume eater and just couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that I would be satisfied by two bites of a cheeseburger rather than the burger, fries, Dr. Pepper and maybe even some nuggets if no one was watching. But, it's true- I am satisfied! Just today, Hubs had an amazing cheeseburger and I took two small bites and was just fine with that and actually almost felt full.

No worries- I didn't get my head completely right before surgery either, but it has worked out. In the interest of full disclosure, I should also mention that I have continued to see a therapist for food-related issues about ever two weeks since surgery and that has helped significantly.

Deep breath- you're okay! :)

Amanda

I didn't do that. But I loved sweet and rich foods too. With the sleeve I go from hungry to full SO FAST! I know that I have to get the Proteins in so I cannot really eat anything else. Now that I'm close to goal I have bites of enjoyable food (except sugar makes me sick so fancy cheese is more my thing now) and then I'm done. After surgery is totally different than before. It's really amazing.

Thank you all for your words/advice!! It truly means a lot and REALLY helps. smile.gif I was sooo doubting myself as to whether this is a good choice for me.

like everyone has been saying most of us go through the process. i haven't had my sleeve yet and have been eating all my favorite foods. in the begining it was bad.. i was eating A LOT but now i have tapered down. I 've weigh myself to make sure i havent regain all the weight i had lost during my preop phase. Unfortunately where i'm at there's not a lot of therapists but if you can find one it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to see them. good luck to you. this is battle me and you can win.

You are not crazy! I could have written the same posting! I am having surgery on the 26th of this month and I think it really hit me last night that my relationship with food is about to change forever. I have done the exact same thing you've been doing. I can't tell you how many "last suppers" I've been having. I'm not sure where you stand as far as faith but for me, prayer has been extremely helpful. I also went to Amazon and found some wonderful books on eating disorders with a workbook as well and have been trying to work with those. I have also decided to start my pre-op diet early to acclimate to the new eating I'll be doing or lack there of as it were. I will be praying for you. This is much more psycholgical than physical in my opinon. Please contact me by PM if you need or want to talk. I am relatively new to this board but so far the people are wonderful and so generous and supportive. God bless you and good luck!!

I feel your pain. My pre op apointment is july 14 and I have been totally undiscipined! My food problem is worse than before. Its like I am using the surgery for an excuse to eat whatever I want because it will be the last time. :( I am hoping after I have the surgury I am more motivated. I can't wait for the doc to put me on a pre opt diet just so I can gain back some control over my eating habbits. I guess you are not in this alone :)

I did the same thing, gaining 15# in a pretty short period of time using the surgery as an excuse that I'll loose it. I have, but I wonder if my number would be lower if I hadn't gained those 15#. Either way, don't beat yourself up- like others have said here- many do the same thing.

I feel your pain. My pre op apointment is july 14 and I have been totally undiscipined! My food problem is worse than before. Its like I am using the surgery for an excuse to eat whatever I want because it will be the last time. :( I am hoping after I have the surgury I am more motivated. I can't wait for the doc to put me on a pre opt diet just so I can gain back some control over my eating habbits. I guess you are not in this alone :)

yep doing it right now. last hurrah is what I keep saying... After my last dietician visit last month, I stopped tracking my eating, but I know I have been eating things i shouldn't...some things already didn't taste as good as I hoped...so it wasn't worth it.. I am still mostly staying close to my calorie goal so I haven't gained any weight back, but I'm not getting the balanced meals that I'm supposed to be eating. I am trying not to feel guilty about it. I plan on putting myself on a liquid diet before surgery.(doc doesn't require one).

It is very common, people refer to these as "food funerals". They get in all their favs b4 surgery. And b4 the dreaded pre-op liquid diet. But just keep reminding yourself you will be able to eat them later, just in way smaller portions. My hubby and I went to Outback for our anniversary tonight. I had 2 grilled shrimp, about 2 oz of the Alice Springs chicken, and 2 bites of baked potato. It was good! I was full and satisfied. I brought the rest home for another meal.

:)

keep reminding yourself that you will be able to still eat what you want to eat after the surgery just less often and smaller quantities also work on your sugar/insulin because you will have to get that under control for the surgery....you are not going to miss out on anything after the surgery, actualy u will have a better quality of life.....work on it one day at a time, one bite at a time......