Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'll soon be crossing the border

I'm new here, but have learned tons from all of you. It's great coming to this forum when people around here have never even heard of the sleeve.

After much research, I scheduled my surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali for June 14th. My hubby will be traveling with me. Most of my fears are completely irrational. Like....I'm more nervous about flying and crossing the border than the surgery itself. Crazy, huh?!

I love hearing of all of your wonderful Mexico experienes.

Loving the Mexico sub-forum. Woohoo!

I am in Mexicali right now and I can tell you , crossing the border is no big deal. Dr. Aceves driver has done this for so long, nobody bothers him. It

takes longer to cross going into the United States, but it's still no big deal.

You will love it here! Everyone treats you great!

I came here to have plastic surgery, but i had my sleeve looked at by an upper GI by Dr. Campos. He said it's perfect after 2 years.

Congrats! You'll be in very good hands with Dr. Aceves. Like you, I wasn't at all worried about traveling to another country to have the majority of a perfectly good organ removed - it was the flying that freaked me out! 6 hours in an airplane is NOT my idea of a relaxing trip. I saw Lost....

Crossing the border is really no big deal at all. Te drive from San Diego to Mexicalli was very scenic & time seemed to fly by. Crossing back into the US only took us about 20 minutes and was non-eventful. No huge drama or tension or anything. My sleeve sister and I walked a city block from the hotel to a grocery store/GNC and I didn't feel unsafe at all.

Thanks, Oregondaisy. I've been following your journey and glad things have gone so well!

Marymoon, it is so funny you mentioned Lost. I was looking for movies to rent to watch while traveling and was deciding between Lost (never seen one episode), and 24. Totally leaning toward 24 since realizing how they got "lost" :). I'm considering drugging myself for the flight...I'm sure my husband would agree.

Hello, welcome and congrats on your decision!! I too was more afraid of the flying than the actual surgery lol. So you are not alone in that. I just got sleeved last wk and flew into San Diego, and I think I conquered my flying phobia!! It wasn't near as bad as I thought. I have flown before but it was yrs ago, and it seems the older I get the more anxious about it. But I was fine, and I'm sure you will be too.

I had a completely wonderful experience in Mexico with a different dr. It exceeded my expectations. Dr Aceves is one of the best, so no worries there. I look forward to further updates from you, good luck!!

:)

I just got home yesterday from being sleeved with Dr. Aceves. The border crossing was fine, no need to worry about that at all! I ordered a wheelchair for the plane ride home...not because I couldn't walk but because I was worried about being bumped into by people or luggage!

I also forgot to tell you that Ernesto, the driver, is so nice. Ask him questions on the way and it's like having your own personal tour guide on the way there and back! He is a sweetie and had the surgery himself. Ask him to show you the pics in the glove compartment! He carries them with him. Also, don't forget to give him a tip! I tipped him when he dropped us back off at the airport when I was going home.

Yeah, don't watch Lost before getting on an airplane if you are the least bit apprehensive about flying! I used to fly all the time back when I had a 'real' job and while I was never totally comfortable with the concept, I didn't get truly bothered by it until after I watched that show. Stupid, I know. 24 is a MUCH better choice! ;)

I had a good friend offer to write me a script for Valium just for the flight. Never having taken it before, I had 1 the day before I flew out while I chaperoned my 2nd grader's field trip to the zoo. Ended up taking 2 the morning of the flight and I was still on edge. Maybe I should have chased it with tequila, but it was 4am...

I am driving to SD airport on Sunday to meet the van and get my revision done one week from today. My gosh, I know this is going to work this time. Did you take dvds of LOST and 24? On your computer or are there TV's? What about the recovery period? How long before you were able to do things? I ride horses and am wondering when I will be able to ride again. Anyhow, I hope to see you in Mexico next week!!! Best of luck!!!! Thanks fr all the inside info everyone!

Anxious!!!!

Patti

Hi Patti,

First, I would like to thank you for your prayers before my surgery, as I was SO anxious. But now, I am 1 wk out today and feel pretty good. Honestly, I didn't have a lot of pain..I expected much more. Now, I am mildly achy and just don't quite feel myself. I am fully functioning, for the most part. I went grocery shopping yesterday and to my son's baseball game the day before that.

As for entertainment...the first day, I slept on and off most of it. You will have a TV in your room that will have a handful of channels in English..some play old movies/TV shows and I think only one or two of them were the same as the US (like CBS). If you have a portable DVD player w/movies I would probably bring it. I don't know if you have a laptop, the hospital has WiFi...we brought our Ipad loaded w/tons of games. I surfed the internet a ton and played a lot of solataire...it was a lifesaver :)

Truly, you are in great hands. I had a lot of fear going down to Mexico...but, it was all relieved once we got there. Everyone is so kind and helpful. Ernesto, the driver didn't have a lot to say on the drive over and I had moments when both my husband and I wondered what the heck we were doing. Side note- my husband is a federal officer and he actually took a pic of Ernesto's license plate and sent it to some of his buddies at work. With his job...he is SO suspicious of everyone!! When all was said and done he felt very silly for doing that!!

Take a deep breathe...the next month will be tough. But, it is so worth it!!! I am down 14lbs my first week. It's been hard...not so much pain wise..but, I am still cooking for my family and it's hard to wrap my head around only Clear liquids for 15 days (Dr Aceves added 5 days fo my clear phase because of all the scar tissue from the band).. I have felt hungry off and on and have stared into the pantry or fridge crying more than once. But, I don't regret it at all and even through the tears...I know I have done the right thing.

You truly have to throw yourself into God's hands and trust Him...you will do great and I will be praying for you!!!!

Love and prayers,

Erika

Erika:

:rolleyes: Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I can't believe you are at a week already! This time next week I will be on the other side, oh my. I can't believe it is coming so fast. When I got my band I waited for months, this time it has literally been a couple of weeks. Praise God! I believe God led me to a dinner with a dear dear friend which led me to Dr. Aceves, if it were not for that dinner I would not be where I am at. WEE!!!

I am taking my laptop with Netflix on it and my Kindle. I know I am going to be okay, but it is always wonderful to hear it from others. Bless you and CONGRATULATIONS!!! 14 lbs in a week. my gosh!

Hang in there you are doing great great great!!!

Patti :D

Hi Patti,

First, I would like to thank you for your prayers before my surgery, as I was SO anxious. But now, I am 1 wk out today and feel pretty good. Honestly, I didn't have a lot of pain..I expected much more. Now, I am mildly achy and just don't quite feel myself. I am fully functioning, for the most part. I went grocery shopping yesterday and to my son's baseball game the day before that.

As for entertainment...the first day, I slept on and off most of it. You will have a TV in your room that will have a handful of channels in English..some play old movies/TV shows and I think only one or two of them were the same as the US (like CBS). If you have a portable DVD player w/movies I would probably bring it. I don't know if you have a laptop, the hospital has WiFi...we brought our Ipad loaded w/tons of games. I surfed the internet a ton and played a lot of solataire...it was a lifesaver :)

Truly, you are in great hands. I had a lot of fear going down to Mexico...but, it was all relieved once we got there. Everyone is so kind and helpful. Ernesto, the driver didn't have a lot to say on the drive over and I had moments when both my husband and I wondered what the heck we were doing. Side note- my husband is a federal officer and he actually took a pic of Ernesto's license plate and sent it to some of his buddies at work. With his job...he is SO suspicious of everyone!! When all was said and done he felt very silly for doing that!!

Take a deep breathe...the next month will be tough. But, it is so worth it!!! I am down 14lbs my first week. It's been hard...not so much pain wise..but, I am still cooking for my family and it's hard to wrap my head around only Clear liquids for 15 days (Dr Aceves added 5 days fo my clear phase because of all the scar tissue from the band).. I have felt hungry off and on and have stared into the pantry or fridge crying more than once. But, I don't regret it at all and even through the tears...I know I have done the right thing.

You truly have to throw yourself into God's hands and trust Him...you will do great and I will be praying for you!!!!

Love and prayers,

Erika