Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unflavored or chicken soup flavored protein?

So I am trying to be practical with the whole Protein Powder purchases and I am wondering if you bought one or the other which would you choose? I tried the unflavored in my Decaf coffee and as long as I hold my nose it isn't a problem. I think it would be fine mixed in to other things such as crystal light and broth where if I get chicken Soup, well I can't imagine it in anything except broth.

Thoughts?

At this point I am pre-pre-op :lol: as I have 3 more visits with my primary doctor but I am trying to get a grocery list together so I can order things in early July before my last visit. Thanks for the input!! :D

I will definitely be following this. Have you tried putting vanilla flavored Protein powder in your coffee? I hear some people also put in chocolate for like a mocha flavor.

Post op, the unflavored Protein tasted horrific. It reminded me of Similac baby formula and I puked at just the smell. So, I would not recommend buying anything in bulk. Buy sample packs and single servings until after post-op and you know for sure you can 1) tolerate the smell and taste 2) do not develop lactose or whey protein intolerance which are both very common.

I have some of the unjury chicken Soup Protein and I really like it. I have the tub, and I still have some left. I actually will drink some from time to time because I want it.

It definitely is best though to go through the samples first and try it after surgery. What you like or tolerate now most likely will change post-op. :)

I guess my worry is I can't buy so many of them nearby so by the time I have to order them I will be moving on to more solid foods. Or do they ship super quick? I can just see me at home the week after surgery and having no Protein powder! I agree the smell of the unflavored is icky but I think all protein powder smells nasty! Thanks for the tip on the vanilla in coffee - sounds great!

I guess my worry is I can't buy so many of them nearby so by the time I have to order them I will be moving on to more solid foods. Or do they ship super quick? I can just see me at home the week after surgery and having no Protein powder! I agree the smell of the unflavored is icky but I think all Protein powder smells nasty! Thanks for the tip on the vanilla in coffee - sounds great!

Do you have a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe near you? They both offer a return guarantee even if the package is open. Our GNC has single serving packets of many of the brands they carry.

On the protein forum here, there is a "sticky" topic at the top where you can order samples. All the companies shipped fairly quickly with bodybuilding.com and Vitalady.com being the quickest when I ordered.

I guess my worry is I can't buy so many of them nearby so by the time I have to order them I will be moving on to more solid foods. Or do they ship super quick? I can just see me at home the week after surgery and having no Protein powder! I agree the smell of the unflavored is icky but I think all Protein powder smells nasty! Thanks for the tip on the vanilla in coffee - sounds great!

I ordered the sample pack from unjury and the sample pack of Syntrex nectar protein. Both shipped very quick (3-4 days), however I am stocking up before my surgery. I like the idea of only getting single serve sizes so I can try them out and see if I want more.

http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-protein/unjury-starter-pack/unjury-starter-kit.html

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/SYNTRAX_NECTAR_PROTEIN_POWDER_SAMPLES_p/nectar-sample.htm

I didn't know that about GNC - we do have them nearby - I will get some sample packs from them

I bought the unflavored from GNC and it is just gross.........tried to add it to broth, Soup, etc...nope, just nasty. I may be able to add it to a smoothie to just use it up but my expectations aren't great. I did get some of the Unjury chicken soup flavor for my full liquid phase, and it is terrific. I still have it sometimes on my too-low Protein days just because it is a nice break from the constant sweet flavors of everything protein, and it tastes good :)

ok I just tried the chicken Soup in broth - wow sodium overload! I think I will try next time mixed with just Water although I think I am leaning more toward unflavored Unjury to keep on hand