Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight pre-op, intentionally!!!

I know I am driving myself crazy, let alone others!!!!!!!! lol By the time Im done with my surgery, i'll have no friends in this forum at all lol O m gosh!!! but it makes a lot of sense what ur saying, and more and more whats sinking in is.....after the surgery, I can actually get a sense of not having time to do or worry about anything else, other than getting in enough Protein and liquid. I guess we all go through basically the same thing, on average. It's a terrible disease, and I guess this wls is the only way out for people like me. I know I will mourn food. That is what drives me crazy the most! See, I want this surgery, but at the same time, I need another major surgery....consisting of the repairing of 3 hernias, hiatal, and intestines, so I will be wide open anyway, and this is y the surgeons r practically insisting I get the wls at the same time. Anyway, thanks again for all the awsome info. I have no supporters of me in my family, so Im in on it alone!, but I put my mind to it, and just tell myself it has to be done once and for all. Im sure like others, I have lost 125-50 lbs 3 times in my life, and gave birth at 475 LBS, but Im up and down like a roller coaster, so , theres no other way. Omg, I can go on and on lolll Thanks again.....take care, and congrats to u big time !!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

Remember, after you are a a few months out, you should be able to tolerate most any food. I did mourn food and my old lifestyle for probably 4 or 5 months. The post op diet for me was easier than the mental end. You really won't want to eat and when you do you will be more worried about getting in enough of what you need, there won't be room for anything else. You will be able to have a taste and if you are like me, that is about all you will want. When you are at,near or below goal, the whole thing changes again. You will be sitting down at the end of the dayt and tally what you ate and realize you were under 1000 calories for the day and decide it is OK to go have a kids size scoop of real ice cream. Make the most of the pre op diet. Food will lose it's hold on you, you will find new things to occupy your tie, you will realize that socialization over food changes to socialization at a restaurant and I actually find myself staying longer and enjoying the conversation and the company more than ever.Good luck, you will be successful and there are a lot of people here for support. As far as the co morbidities, they are gone and that is the biggest prize. You will see almost instant results on that end. Last diabetes drug I took was insulin in the hospital. I watched my morning readings steadily decline from 140s first day home(that in itself was an accomplishment because I was in the 170s with drugs) to the low 80s after 6 weeks. I finally stopped testing after 2 weeks of 86 every day. I took it every now and then until maybe 8 months out, haven't taken it since. A1c is now 5.6, and last fasting glucose form the lab was 81,can't see the point. BP is another story, I would up cutting my meds in half a week after surgery (asked Dr first) then 2 weeks later totally discontinued it. Now it is 117/73. that is as good as anyone can hope for. also had high triglycerides, low good cholesterol, high bad cholesterol high total cholesterol. Those are all remedied too. Good luck over the next few weeks, you have time.You don't have to go crazy before the liquids just be sensible. Walk every day if you can and start back as soon as you can after surgery. In my opinion, it made my recovery easier.

post-8923-13813656568349_thumb.jpg

Hello all, I too am scheduled for June 13th. I had to go thru 3 month program of which it was recommended you eat and "say goodby" to your favorite foods. Well I did that ...over and over again..and gained 9 lbs during that three months. My Dr. wants me to loose that before surgery. He only has a 2 day pre op diet but I have started doing south beach in order to get that off pre op. Think I have my mind right and am ready for june 13th.

Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, yes, we will soon be twins!!! and sooooo right u r bout the 2 week pre-op!!! only problem with me is......medicare dont require any pre-op, now do they require any more testing!!!!, but my primary DR is sending me for most :huh: Im glad ur not binging. I have always been a tremendous eater, but now knowing im going under June 13th....I been feasting everrrrry darn day :(:(:angry: !!! I have been eating worse than I have ever, and I just can't seem to control myself. I have every co-mobility on the list, so thats whats been buggin me really. I knowwwwww, by binging, it's not gonna make the surgery any better, only worse. I have got to get it together. I still have a few more days b4 I get on track, then i'll have no choice afterwards. Anyway, thx for responding. Good luck to u, and plz keep in touch!!! twin lol :D forget about ursieursie!

You know, I realized later on that maybe I should have done this as well. I really struggled with losing the preop weight before surgery and felt like I hadn't said "goodbye" to my favorite foods. Also, I was thinking that for my very first weigh in that maybe I should have put on some ankle weights and stuff to weigh me down!!! I took way too long to lose that preop weight. I had my surgery 4/12/11, but had I lost the weight properly, I could have had it done in january!

Just in case you are wondering, I have been able to have the foods I love post surgery. Just very small amounts at a time!!! It takes a while to get used to eating a small bit when your brain is expecting a huge amount! I am satisfied most of the time just by drinking my fluids. Rarely hungry. I feel like I'm thanksgiving dinner full after eating 4 oz of applesauce. :P

lollllll lol lol :lol: now that...... is one question I have been trying to find the answer to.... for a long time, and thx to u, you finally answered it for me!!! I have been asking around.....how do u feel after eating??? Do u actually feel like u had a thanksgiving meal lol, and u can walk away, just like pre-op? or what?. Of course the head hunger will always be there, i'll speak for myself on that one anyway :) , but I'ts hard. I saw my surgeons in Jan, and because I have medicare only, they were able to schedule the surgery when they wanted, and there is no pre-op diet nor any 6 month wait or anything like with other insurances, which is not forcing me to do anything. I am going to start some sort of diet hopefully this wk. It's supposed to be beneficial, but ultimately I have 4 weeks left, and reality is starting to set in big time!!!! I can just imagine what i'll feel like a few days b4! Anyway, thx for responding, and keep up the good work :D:D:D

You know, I realized later on that maybe I should have done this as well. I really struggled with losing the preop weight before surgery and felt like I hadn't said "goodbye" to my favorite foods. Also, I was thinking that for my very first weigh in that maybe I should have put on some ankle weights and stuff to weigh me down!!! I took way too long to lose that preop weight. I had my surgery 4/12/11, but had I lost the weight properly, I could have had it done in january!

Just in case you are wondering, I have been able to have the foods I love post surgery. Just very small amounts at a time!!! It takes a while to get used to eating a small bit when your brain is expecting a huge amount! I am satisfied most of the time just by drinking my fluids. Rarely hungry. I feel like I'm thanksgiving dinner full after eating 4 oz of applesauce. :P